Purchased a 2001 STS - suspension questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By drewsdeville
  • 1 Post By curtc
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Purchased a 2001 STS - suspension questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all, Great forums. I am buy no means a mechanic, but do have some tools and am good with ...
    F0084R is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS

Purchased a 2001 STS - suspension questions

Hello all,

Great forums. I am buy no means a mechanic, but do have some tools and am good with my hands. All that is missing is a little knowledge, that you members graciously have supplied.

I picked up a 2001 Cadillac Seville STS for my 17 year old. It has high mileage (170K), but was very clean and for an inexperienced driver should be nice and safe for when he runs into something with it

It however has had some problems, but between researching codes and these forums I have been able to fix allot of the problems. I have had to replace the Throttle Position Sensor, which is very easy to do. Then I was also getting codes for the Mass Air flow sensor. I replaced it, but the car would still occasionally stall and throw the code, especially when going around corners. After perusing these forums I started looking into it again, and someone mentioned cleaning the sensor. Figured can't hurt since the problem is intermittent and I was beginning to pull my hair out. Took the sensor out and noticed that one of the wires for the sensor was worn. Just touched it and it finally broke! Replaced the wiring harness and the engine has been running smooth ever since.

It does need a new wheel bearing and the breaks were pulsing really bad when depressed. Also intermittently the Service Stability System light message is displayed along with the ABS and TC lights. I figured it was from the bad bearing. I started to work on replacing the wheel hub assembly. It sounded like a right rear to me, but everything I read online said that most of the time the fronts go. Also my 17 year old (who has much better hearing than I do) said it sounded like the front right was where it was coming from. I did try checking each wheel for play by grabbing at 9 and 3 o'clock and 12 and 6 o'clock per the forums. Both wheels did not have any play that I could notice. SO against my better judgment I purchased the front right wheel hub assembly, new front and rear pads, and all new rotors.

I got everything replaced and working and took it for a test drive. Breaks are nice and smooth and working great. Jumped up on the expressway to see if the sound and vibration from the bad bearing was gone.....DOH! It is still there and still sounds like the right rear!!!! Plus now the Service Stability System message, TC, and ABS lights are always on after starting. I did check for codes, but they were all history. (mostly from disconnecting the sensor to change the wheel hub assembly. Turned the car on a few times to turn the wheel to get some more room to work). Now that my mini-novel is almost complete, I do have a question.

Can the vibrations from a bad wheel bearing cause the Service Stability System, TC, and ABS lights to come on, or could it be a bad sensor on another wheel assembly? The right rear is getting replaced no matter what, but If I have to replace a third wheel hub assembly because of a bad sensor I might as well just replace the last one while I am at it, or is there any way to test the sensors (I do have a multi-meter, just don't know what the readings should be). Any input from you almighty gurus is appreciated.

Once again, GREAT FORUMS!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k

Re: Just purchased a 2001 Seville STS

If the TC and ABS lights are on you definitely have a current code, clear them out, drive it until they come back and scan again....That code will point you in the direction of the bad sensor. The sensor is built into the bearing so the only way to fix it is to replace the hub assembly.

BTW,

Looks like you've been finding all sorts of info here on CF...Do yourself a favor and go all the way ^^^^^^ top and click the Cadillac Technical Archive and read up...TONS of useful info in there.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I wouldn't recommend a Seville STS for an inexperienced driver, but now that the kid has one you should continually caution him about the restraint in using the car's power. We have had several cases of young drivers wrecking their Sevilles due to lack of experience and over confidence. Good luck!

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Inexperienced or young drivers dont need a specific car to wreck. 100hp is plenty enough to get the job done!
    carmaster, bwv565 and F0084R like this.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Just purchased a 2001 STS

^^^ I agree, but they can do it all the faster in a 300 HP Seville!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yeah, "lack of experience and over confidence" applies to all teenagers with any car. We've all been there (and somehow survived).

Follow Curt's advice. Codes will set you free (or something like that).

F0084R is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS

I agree that the car does have more power than I would like my 17 year old have, but it is a large car so that makes my wife feel a little better about his safety. Besides, for $2500 I couldn't go wrong. Like I said the car was extremely clean. Undercoated, so there is no rust (I live in the N.E). Floor upholstery is a little stained, but nothing floor mats can't hide, and he enjoys all of the bells and whistles that are in it.

After I posted my mini-novel yesterday, I decided to crawl underneath and verify that all of the sensors were still connected after the break job. Guess what I found? The left rear was disconnected. I guess I did not get it seated when I put it back together after replacing the rotor. (Had to disconnect it to get my 1/2 driver in there to get the last bolt out). The lights and message are off now. Hopefully it will not come back. Can a bad bearing cause enough vibration for the message and lights to come on intermittently?

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k

If the bearing is bad the vibration or "hum" should be apparent all the time...especially if you put load on it...Do some spirited S turns, like a NASCAR driver warming the tires, if the noise gets louder/quieter depending on which way you go you can determine where the bad bearing is...If you turn right and it gets louder, your bad bearing is on the driver side, vice versa for the left.

And yes, I bearing on the way out could trigger intermittent ABS/TC lights as the ABS sensor inside could be shorting out whenever it feels like it.
    F0084R likes this.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by F0084R View Post
    Can a bad bearing cause enough vibration for the message and lights to come on intermittently?
    Unlikely. It would have to be so bad that you would long since have figured out what the problem was.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.