Well here I am again... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Well here I am again... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by ben.gators There is something very special about these Sevilles! I totally understand why you returned back! I ...
    ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Re: Well here I am again...

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    There is something very special about these Sevilles! I totally understand why you returned back! I have been test driving many many cars. Newer cars, brand new cars, German cars, sports cars, you name it.... No argue that many of them can corner 1000 times better than a Seville, or some are more powerful, etc. But Seville STS is a very nice package. It has its own problems. It is a heavy front wheel drive car with 60%/40% weight distribution. But it is still a very happy car that likes to be driven and likes to be driven hard, and meanwhile you really enjoy the comfortable ride inside! And the car still looks great! To this date, I still smile when I walk towards my STS! I am not sure you know or not; my HG is on the way out (positive block test), but it is still fine and I can drive it without any special problem. For now I am enjoying driving my STS until it starts to overheat very badly on a daily basis. I might end up buying another STS for 3-4k! Who knows!
    Damn when did your HG blow? That's really unfortunate. If I buy this car and it blows a HG down the road I'll just get it repaired. I told somebody last night that this will be my last Seville. I won't ever get rid of it and when I get a newer car this one will still be around just like I had planned my 2000 to be.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Well, it wasn't a catastrophic failure of HG; it is gradually on its way out. It is a bout a few months that I started to observe some signs. For example, the car consumes a little bit of coolant. Or when I have passengers and am driving uphills and really pushing the car, the temperature goes higher. So borrowed the block test kit and the result was positive! But I am not complaining! It has close to 150k miles and the car owes me nothing!

If I were in the mainland, where there are N* shops that do the job for around 2k, I would seriously consider having the car repaired. But I live in Hawaii, and there is no such N* shop around here. The only option is the Cadillac dealership, and they will charge me around 4-5k! So replacing the HG is not an option. That is why I prefer to buy a newer STS with less miles on it (if I decide to stay in Seville family), and that should cost less than a HG job in Hawaii!

Well it looks like I'm going to have to wait until Friday. Mom had to work this morning and I don't have anybody else that can drive me up there to look at the car. I spoke to the man and he will be holding it for me until Friday which was great. He said it was an older lady driven car that was traded in on an SUV. Tires are BFGoodrich and in good shape and there are a few blemishes on the rear but nothing bad. 5 years ago today was when my old STS was traded in at the Cadillac dealership where it all started. I'm looking forward to owning a Seville again.

bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Ford Mustang, 2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    Well it looks like I'm going to have to wait until Friday. Mom had to work this morning and I don't have anybody else that can drive me up there to look at the car. I spoke to the man and he will be holding it for me until Friday which was great. He said it was an older lady driven car that was traded in on an SUV. Tires are BFGoodrich and in good shape and there are a few blemishes on the rear but nothing bad. 5 years ago today was when my old STS was traded in at the Cadillac dealership where it all started. I'm looking forward to owning a Seville again.
    Good luck, and make sure to post pics once 'the dirty deed is done'!
    Cadillac Kid03 likes this.

Cadillac Kid03 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by bwv565 View Post
    Good luck, and make sure to post pics once 'the dirty deed is done'!
    Yes post as many photos as you can and i mean tons!

No photos until it's properly detailed! That will be an all day event that I'm looking forward to... I love getting the car exactly how I want it.
    Cadillac Kid03 likes this.

No go guys. Gave the car some gas and It started getting hot. It was in beautiful shape and I'm very sad. But I am going to keep my eye out for some and he is going to get the car checked out and let me know the diagnosis. He was honest about the condition and he said it never gave him trouble but he didn't drive it like I did.

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003
    No go guys. Gave the car some gas and It started getting hot. It was in beautiful shape and I'm very sad. But I am going to keep my eye out for some and he is going to get the car checked out and let me know the diagnosis. He was honest about the condition and he said it never gave him trouble but he didn't drive it like I did.
    You did the right thing. I hope you find a good one someplace else!
    ted tcb likes this.

Well in an interesting turn of events the man called me back and was very apologetic about the car. He actually gave me and my mom gas money for driving 200 miles to check the car which was a really nice and totally unnecessary gesture as most dealers would've had us sent along our way. Anyways he told me about a 2004 Deville w/ 116k miles that he had just traded for. i saw it on the lot and it was a very clean car; cleaner than the Seville I looked at. Anyways when I asked him about it previously he said it was listed for $6k which is a tad over budget for what I want to pay. He felt so bad about the STS he offered me the Deville for $5k and it came with brand new Goodyear Assurance tires. So I might be going the Deville route which is fine also. I will keep you all updated.
    bwv565 likes this.

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Great news ... HG issues on a 2004 Deville are pretty rare, so this would likely be a much smoother ownership experience.

Out of curiosity, did the Seville have any shimmy issues at highway speeds? I know you had fun trying to smooth out your old STS.

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

When I was shopping for my Seville STS, the Deville that I test drove had a completely different feeling (sort of like a boat on the water). Nothing against Devilles, but I like to be able to feel more connected to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by ted tcb View Post
    Great news ... HG issues on a 2004 Deville are pretty rare, so this would likely be a much smoother ownership experience.

Out of curiosity, did the Seville have any shimmy issues at highway speeds? I know you had fun trying to smooth out your old STS.
    You know I couldn't even reach 65 because the car was already starting to overheat! The speed limit is 60MPH and the law was all over the place so I didn't want to get a ticket. The car itself though drove really great! I was very impressed with it other than the HG issue.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 98cadillac View Post
    When I was shopping for my Seville STS, the Deville that I test drove had a completely different feeling (sort of like a boat on the water). Nothing against Devilles, but I like to be able to feel more connected to the road.
    Yeah the Deville is definitely more isolated but I've driven more than a dozen when I worked at the Caddy dealership in town and I don't mind it so much. I don't love them as much as a Seville but the later model Deville's have less issues than the Seville's did so that is a huge bonus I'm willing to accept.

The DeVille has always been, and always will be, one of my favorite cars of all time. There's nothing like its ride. I used to rent them all the time from Avis when I traveled for work and always felt safe, luxurious and comfortable. I remember traveling in the middle of the New England winters and seeing BMWs and Mercedes spinning their wheels when I was doing just fine. I don't think you can go wrong with a DeVille, but you're right to be doing your research.

I'm driving a black XTS now and I sure could get used to all this technology. But I can tell you it sure doesn't have the pull or sound of the Northstar.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

I am sorry to hear about the overheating! It was a 2002, right? Those cars were supposed to be less probe to HG problems? Anyway, hope you best of luck in finding a nice, clean car. And by the way, what type of Deville is it? Base, DHS, or DTS? DTS is supposed to be more like a STS I think.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.