'97 Eldo - riding high after shock / strut replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, '97 Eldo - riding high after shock / strut replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all, Yesterday, I had a local shop install new shocks / struts on my 97 Eldo (base model / ...
    Bob Ross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Eldorado

'97 Eldo - riding high after shock / strut replacement

Hi all,

Yesterday, I had a local shop install new shocks / struts on my 97 Eldo (base model / ESC). My car has the FE1 soft ride suspension. It does NOT have F45.

I had them install the Monroe 90011 suspension conversion kit in the front, and Monroe 40046 shocks in the rear.

When I picked the car up, I noticed it was riding higher that it had before. There is now an extra inch to two inches (closer to two inches) clearance between the top of the tires and the bottom of the wheel wells. This is occurring both in the front and rear. It looks really weird now. Also, the suspension is now quite hard. There's no element of "float" like there was before, although I'm not sure how much of that should be attributed to the new shocks.

Below is a pic of my car BEFORE the new shocks. The height looks "normal", yes? I'm having a bit of an issue transferring a pic of what it now looks like from my camera phone to my computer, but maybe I can do that later. In the meantime, imagine the below pic, but jacked up a few inches and all weird looking.

I pulled the codes and am not getting any. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    In that picture, it definitely looks like it's low in the rear.

Re: '97 Eldo - riding high after shock / strut replacement

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    In that picture, it definitely looks like it's low in the rear.
    Could be. I'll try to post an updated pic this evening.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

That picture - Post #1 - car is definitely low in the rear.

If you think the new work is somewhat high, the only way to return your peace of mind is have the shop get the service manual for that car and perform ride height suspension checks. It's a very dedicated set of measurements with the car normalized - weight, gas, load, ELC operational, tire pressure.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

ALL the basic weight of the car should be supported by the springs -
    and you didn't change them - so the car should sit the same -

EXCEPT for the ELC system in the rear -

I agree with MC and Sub -
    the rear looks to be sitting low in the original pic -
    the new rear shocks might have corrected that -

bass, Your '03 SLS - on a level parking lot - do you sense a tad of front rake or is the car "dead flat" ???

I just (an hour ago) pulled up alongside a 2003 STS - at AMJ Auto Repair here - and both cars seem to have a tad of "rake" - we both agreed on the observation.

Below are some "äfter" pics from today. I dunno. Maybe it's just me? The front especially looks awfully high though. There's 4 inches between the top of the tire and the bottom of the well in the front, and 3 inches for the same in the rear.

What do you guys think?

(car was on level ground, in both pics)

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    bass, Your '03 SLS - on a level parking lot - do you sense a tad of front rake or is the car "dead flat" ???

I just (an hour ago) pulled up alongside a 2003 STS - at AMJ Auto Repair here - and both cars seem to have a tad of "rake" - we both agreed on the observation.
    ------------------------
    the rear definitely sits higher than the front -
    and I don't particularly like that -

in fact - that might be my next project -
    adjust the length of the ELC rod so the car sits closer to level -

Caddydrummer67 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '01 ETC 49,000 miles 2002 F55 STS 63,000 miles

The front definitely looks high in the "after" picture to me, by a couple inches. The rear looks about right.
    An Eldo should also have a slight rake forward sitting on level ground.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    How the bleep does a mechanic take a front strut apart and reuse the same spring and end up with 2" more lift than normal?

Ugh. So I should definitely get this addressed then?

I looked at the front springs. They definitely aren't new. I just brought this shop the aforementioned parts (new) and told them to install them, and that's it.
    The sucky thing is that they are supposed to be reputable. My in-laws have been using them for decades without issue. But they're also a ways away so I had to take a day off work to get this done.

Can the front shocks be adjusted to make them sit right or would this be a tear down and re-install?

Been doing a bit of research.

Looks like this guy had the same issue with his Seville, but it was likely caused by wonky aftermarket struts and springs (I didn't replace my springs).

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...s-sits-my.html

I was looking at the front strut assemblies and comparing them with a diagram, and it looks like everything has been installed correctly.

Could the problem be with the springs, in that the existing springs are too long for the new Monroe struts? TBH I don't know what struts / springs were on the car before. I thought they were OEM, but never checked.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Rear looks right now, and as posted, the front is definitely high. Maybe he clocked the springs/mounts wrong. Not sure if that would make THAT much if a difference though.

I realize this is not an Eldorado, but would guess the visual appearance and ride height would be a similar part of the design of both cars - my STS has nowhere near 4" of tire/fender space in the front wheelwell.

Bob Ross needs a good ride height measurement job. The measurement points and height specs are in the GM manual or Alldata.

Springs control level ground normal weight ride height, not struts or shocks - and the passive Eldorado is a car that depends on the springs alone, not an active suspension system - except for rear ride height set by ELC in response to extra weight in the trunk or rear seat.

EDIT: Thought ....... Bob, park the car on a level surface - big parking lot - and walk 25 feet in front of the car. What is the attitude of the front wheels/tires ? Do they appear to be just about vertical, or do the tops of the tires seem to tilt out a tad ?? Same for the rear ............. camber may indicate excessive suspension height.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

you reused old springs. the spring mounting pad for front strut is fixed. or welded to strut body. the top/bottom of spring is almost flat. there really is no kink to it that would make spring sit any higher on strut. look at any pic of any front strut. for any car. its simple. strut, spring seat. shop sees car as is. replaces struts. its 3" higher now. hmm, looks ok to me. heck we used the old springs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.