'97 Eldo - riding high after shock / strut replacement - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, '97 Eldo - riding high after shock / strut replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; shop is only using your springs? new struts and mounts? so they will take apart your new struts. they can ...
    stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

Re: '97 Eldo - riding high after shock / strut replacement

shop is only using your springs? new struts and mounts? so they will take apart your new struts. they can compare the parts easily than. not sure if they want too though. just slow them down. they dont want you back in the shop area anyway.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I don't know about the strut length comparison, but it appears that the OEM strut MOUNTS are different based on whether or not the car has electronic suspension (AcDelco part# 501-189 with, and part# 501-95 without). However, the Monroe 90011 kit is advertised as the proper kit for cars with both types of suspensions on their website. So something is still fishy here.
    ------------------------------
    have you contacted Monroe?

they have a Tech Support line -

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/support/Ask-The-Expert

Bob Ross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    ------------------------------
    have you contacted Monroe?

they have a Tech Support line -

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/support/Ask-The-Expert
    I might. But I'm going to wait until I get my car back from the dealer before I do so, in order to make sure everything was resolved properly before I go barking up that tree.
    O2AFAC67 likes this.

Another update:

Well, they got the OEM strut mounts (Part 2) but it turns out that the seat plate (Part 3) from the Monroe kit does not fit these OEM mounts, so they have to order that as well (salvaged because that's all they could find). This really sucks because the car had some perfectly good seat plates before the original shop tossed them out. Note to self: in the future, have the shop return original parts to me.

So at this point, it looks like the Monroe struts (Part 9) ARE acceptable aftermarket replacements, but the mounts and plates are different and will cause the car to ride higher than spec. I can only claim this for an Eldo that originally had passive struts. I have no clue if the same will hold true for an ETC or base with CVRSS when doing a conversion.

Hopefully someone else will gain from my experience, because this info is not coming cheap.

Final Update:

I got my car back from the dealership today. It took them a while to order parts. Anyways, here's how she sits now, after getting the Monroe strut mounts, seat plates, and the insulator that sits between the two replaced with OEM versions.

I am now putting together a claim to file with Tenneco Inc (the owner of the Monroe brand) to reimburse me for the cost of this replacement, as their 90011 kit did not restore my vehicle to factory ride height as advertised on their website. If that doesn't work, it's off to small claims court I go.

In conclusion, I would recommend that the Monroe 90011 Front Strut Conversion kit be avoided by anyone reading this, unless you want to risk having similar problems. The Monroe struts themselves are fine, but there are design differences with their strut mounting hardware which cause an increased ride height. Stick with OEM equipment for those.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Good to know, as i have brand new Monroe 40018's for the rear and a monroe 40016 for RF, now to get the monroe 40017. After reading this thread and then doing some research i'll just keep the OEM strut mounts installed. Not sure if i need new springs or not though

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    vincent, are you saying you will reuse your original mounts with your new struts? why use old parts? cant you find new correct replacement mounts? or are you saying you dont think your old mounts are bad? so you are changing struts only?

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    vincent, are you saying you will reuse your original mounts with your new struts? why use old parts? cant you find new correct replacement mounts? or are you saying you dont think your old mounts are bad? so you are changing struts only?
    Im doing all 4 wheels, gonna order the last strut today, current i have the rears and the front left strut. I'll order ac delco mount kits

What's the part #'s for them? Rockauto has several AC Delco ones listed.

Is the 501-189's the one's i need?

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    Is the 501-189's the one's i need?
    Those should be correct for an ETC. The 501-95's are for the passive struts.

Be sure to hang onto your upper seat (spring) plates, as you'll probably have to reuse them. Neither I nor the dealer could find new ones anywhere, and had to use salvaged ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Those should be correct for an ETC. The 501-95's are for the passive struts.

Be sure to hang onto your upper seat (spring) plates, as you'll probably have to reuse them. Neither I nor the dealer could find new ones anywhere, and had to use salvaged ones.

Thanks, got em ordered, by end of next week all four wheels will have new CVRSS struts and shocks.

O2AFAC67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Eldorado ETC Collectors Series

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    Thanks, got em ordered, by end of next week all four wheels will have new CVRSS struts and shocks.
    Hi, Vince. Please keep us updated as to final cost, parts/labor and results. Good luck.
    Best,
    Ron

PS. A big thank you to Bob Ross also for going thru this pushup and keeping us all informed!

Update: Funny how this happens now, just as another thread regarding the Monroe 90011 kit is active at the moment.

Anyways, since this incident happened, I submitted a claim to Tenneco Inc (the owners of the Monroe brand) asking them for compensation for the cost it took me to rectify the situation, and threatening small claims court. I just got off the phone with someone from their warrantee claims department, who just so happened to call right when I was typing up a response to that other thread. Weird.

They said that it is true that the strut mounts, insulators, and upper seat plates in the kit are of a different design than the OEM versions. However, they also said that these parts have to be installed in a specific way, as detailed in their provided instructions, or the ride height issue I experienced will be present (they've had reports of this happening before). So they are saying that the fault lies with the aftermarket shop that I took the car to initially to get the kit installed. They are reimbursing me for the cost of the 90011 kit and installation, which is nice of them if what they're saying is true, but also kinda strange because it would mean they are not at fault at all, so why send me a dime? Keep in mind that this is only a fraction of the amount I was asking for (the dealership cost to rectify) so maybe they're just trying to get off the hook cheap, and TBH now I have zero clue what to believe. I'm currently back to dealing with the aftermarket shop who allegedly did the install incorrectly to see what they'll do since they warrantee their labor, but now that the car's been fixed, who knows what really happened?

I guess the only way I'll know the truth is if someone (anyone) installs the full 90011 kit on their Eldo as per the provided instructions and reports complete and total success. Any takers?

Next time, I'm just gonna learn to replace these damn things myself.

ELDO GUY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldo White Diamond 1969 Corvette ZZ4 2000 Turbo BUG

I'm doing this in a few weeks , Ill look at the upper part of the kit and compare to OEM. but ill probably use the OEM especially if i dont like what I see. I sent a note to the support line on the web site about this issue a few weeks ago. Never heard a word . I wonder what the assembly Instructions look like to see if improper installation could make a difference .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.