'97 Eldo - riding high after shock / strut replacement - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, '97 Eldo - riding high after shock / strut replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Bottom line, u could have ANY shop put new front struts on. U don't want too since ur struts are ...
    stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Bottom line, u could have ANY shop put new front struts on. U don't want too since ur struts are new but it is probably the easiest way to go. Take off struts, disassemble. Rebuild, install, check ride height. Same? Lower?

Bob Ross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Eldorado

Re: '97 Eldo - riding high after shock / strut replacement

Update:

Just got back from the dealer. My ELC compressor is in fact shot so I'll need a new one.

However, I talked to their tech, and he said that as far as the front struts go, there's an inch gap between the upper plate that the spring rests on, and the body of the car. He said that with OEM struts, the upper plate sits flush against the car body.

I just snapped a pic of what (I think) he was talking about. The pic was taken from the inside on my left front wheel well, facing upwards. You can see the uppermost two coils of the spring, then the upper plate (with the spring resting against it) above that, and then a gap with the greyish, discolored area above that which is the body of the car.

He's claiming that for OEM struts, that gap should not be there and the upper plate should be flush with the greyish area.

The thing is, I felt around in the gap and found that that's where the greyish rubber-donut-looking component in the pic of the Monroe 90011 kit (shown below) is sitting.

Could you guys do me a favor and check your Eldo or Seville and see if that gap exists, or if the upper plate is in fact sitting flush against the car body (if you've got OEM struts). Or if you've used the Monroe 90011 kit, could you check if you also see a gap which contains that greyish rubber-donut-looking component, and let me know what you find?

In the meantime, I'm trying to find the Monroe 90011 kit installation instructions online, but haven't had much success yet.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Just looked - creak - 2002 STS - 2/3 of the top spring coil is flush with the upper strut bearing - well up into the strut tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Just looked - creak - 2002 STS - 2/3 of the top spring coil is flush with the upper strut bearing - well up into the strut tower.
    I'm a bit confused by your response.

I've added captions to the pic to clarify. I was wondering if you also have the 1'' gap depicted below? If I feel around in that gap, I find the rubber donut from the Monroe kit. The tech says that gap should not be there for OEM struts.

----------

An additional question...

I found this blurb about strut / shock replacement, albeit from a different manufacturer:

"There is a common problem that many auto repair shops seem to have with applying torque to some of the main bolts on the suspension. This often results in high and/or uneven ride height. The issue is that there are about 3 bolts at each corner/wheel that have bushings associated with them and if the bolts are tightened while the car is up on the rack and the wheels are dangling down, then the bushings are set or pre-loaded at that wheels extended position and the car then wants to ride high when placed on the ground. The fix is to put the car back on the rack, loosen the affected bolts, put the car back on the ground with the loosened bolts (maybe drive it around the block in both directions and then tighten the affected suspension bolts with the weight of the car on the ground. Loosen - Lower - Torque under load."

Does the same apply with Cadillacs?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The "stack" should be like this:

http://www.genmotorinfo.com/Picture....920430GM06-011

----------

The "torquing bolts with the suspension loaded" issue applies to control arm bushings, not struts.

Part 3? Left/right? Can angled portion make spring seat wrong against shock mount? I recall doing my sons rear grandprix struts and there was a left/right angled upper shock mount.

The gap I was mentioning appears to be between Parts 2 and 3. The bottom of Part 2 contains the "rubber donut" I was referring to. Looks like it's integrated in the OEM ACDelco part...

but is a separate piece in the Monroe kit.

At first I thought maybe they were of varying thickness but now I'm doubting that. The stack appears to be correct from what I can see.

The PROBLEM is that now I'm dealing with a dealer tech, who is starting to pull the "You installed aftermarket struts and I've no idea about those so your best bet is to buy OEM replacements from us for a crap ton of money" card, and I'm not having any of that.

I dunno. Maybe the Monroe kit rides high and that just how it is?

Has anyone else here used this kit on an Eldorado and can confirm or refute this statement?

O2AFAC67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Eldorado ETC Collectors Series

Exclamation Re: '97 Eldo - riding high after shock / strut replacement

Back in from a dark garage with a few shots which may help... Shot while trying to hold a flashlight with one hand and camera with the other. Tried to get the focus in the right spot. Left front on my 2002 Eldo. You can clearly see the gasket (part #4 in the exploded drawing?) squished by the top of the coil spring against part #3. Part of the gasket shows under the bottom of the top coil. Reaching my index finger over the edge of part #3 isn't possible because part #3 is indeed nearly flush to the frame (?) of the car. I think the edge of part # 3 is likely curled downward just a little bit showing the small gap, perhaps a 1/4", between part #3 and the frame. As your stealership tech indicated, no real gap should be between #3 and the frame. Hope this helps, Bob.
    Best,
    Ron

PS. Bob, just a guess of course but perhaps the upward extended shoulder of part #2 on the Monroe kit is not molded (forged, cast?) properly not allowing part #2 to fit completely into the hole in the frame thereby not allowing the outside edge to "flush up" to the frame?...

Thanks Ron. That was of great help.

I think the issue lies with Part 2 as well. Either the Monroe part is designed differently, or the install was done incorrectly.

I'm taking the car back tomorrow to get the new ELC compressor put in (they had to order that), so I'll have the tech check it out. He'll have to tear one strut down to see. Ugh. Hopefully it was done wrong and can be corrected or maybe they can just replace Part 2 with the OEM version. Guess we'll see.

whew. after 53 posts, we are getting to the bottom of this. figures it would take a dealer putting on delco parts to fix it.

Well, they couldn't get to my car today, but on the plus side, they did give me a 2012 SRX as a loaner for the weekend.

In the meantime, I should head over to the SRX forum and act all snooty.
    O2AFAC67 likes this.

"free" loaner? Wait till u get the bill for ur struts/elc.

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    "free" loaner? Wait till u get the bill for ur struts/elc.
    Lol. Tell me about it.

Anyways, an update. They took apart one of my struts and also compared it with another Eldo that was brought in. It turns out that the gap is in fact caused by the aforementioned Part 2 (strut mount, pictured in my post #52 above) being differently sized than the OEM version. More specifically, the "rubber donut" is much thicker, which is what is causing the spacing gap and high ride height.

I am having them replace the mounts with OEM versions (and paying for it).

I wonder why Monroe advertises their versions of the strut mounts as direct replacements when they are obviously not? I'm also surprised I couldn't find any other reference to this issue on the internet (it sucks to be the guinea pig). Anyways, once I get the car back and if all is in order, I'll make a final post to confirm.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Those struts are advertised as conversion units
    (CVRSS to passive). Are the CVRSS struts physically different, as far as mounting and/or length is concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Those struts are advertised as conversion units
    (CVRSS to passive). Are the CVRSS struts physically different, as far as mounting and/or length is concerned?
    I don't know about the strut length comparison, but it appears that the OEM strut MOUNTS are different based on whether or not the car has electronic suspension (AcDelco part# 501-189 with, and part# 501-95 without). However, the Monroe 90011 kit is advertised as the proper kit for cars with both types of suspensions on their website. So something is still fishy here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.