No ABS Data, Service Suspension System, Brake Light ABS Light, Traction Control Light
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, No ABS Data, Service Suspension System, Brake Light ABS Light, Traction Control Light in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I need some help diagnosing my problem with my 2003 Seville (STS). I suddenly (drove to work fine, left for ...
    asilverblazer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

No ABS Data, Service Suspension System, Brake Light ABS Light, Traction Control Light

I need some help diagnosing my problem with my 2003 Seville (STS). I suddenly (drove to work fine, left for lunch bad) have all the warnings listed in the title on the instrument cluster: ABS, Brake and Traction Control lights illuminated, in addition to Service Suspension System.

Current Codes:
    NO ABS DATA
    DTC P1571 Traction Control Torque Request Circuit
    DTC C0710 Steering Position Signal Malfunction
    DTC U1040 Loss of Class 2 Communications with ABS
    DTC U1000 Class 2 Communication Malfunction
    DTC U1016 Loss of Class 2 Communication with VCM

I think I am chasing two problems, the steering sensor separate from the brake problem. So, it looks to me like my EBTCM Module has malfunctioned, I checked 2 ABS fuses, one under the hood and one under the rear seat, they were OK. I disconnected and reconnected the EBTCM with no change. What should be my next step?

The steering sensor looks like I need to replace the sensor, I've been having ongoing intermittent problems with it, now its constant. (Strang coincidence...)

TIA
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: No ABS Data, Service Suspension System, Brake Light ABS Light, Traction Control L

Looks like this is a ditto of my problem. Guess I'll try this first.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...iagnosing.html

Re: No ABS Data, Service Suspension System, Brake Light ABS Light, Traction Control L

So I put a used EBTCM on and now I have new codes. DTC C1241 Variable Effort Steering Circuit Malfunction
    DTC C1246 Brake Lining Wear Circuit Open
    Are the EBTCM's model specific? I don't know the specifics of the car it came from. I think it is triggering information it shouldn't, namely to change brake pads, I didn't think this car had that sensor... Not sure on the other one.

----------

Oh, but at least now the new EBTCM is communicating with the car.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Your (our) Seville has brake pad wear sensors - at each pad set - all 4 wheels. It's a series circuit - one sensor wears through, the light shows.

You might want to look at these guys .......... (used EBTCM's can be a crapshoot) ............... http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php

Can't believe I posted that site URL twice in the last half hour ............... and I don't think the EBTCM has anything to do with the Variable Assist Steering (which increases steering wheel effort the faster the car goes)............. It's for more precise steering control at high speeds.

Wow, I haven't seen any wiring, plugs, harnesses whatever for the wear sensors... Where are they? What do they look like? Also my brakes are less than 6 months old, when they needed replaced, the only warning I got was the pad eating up the rotor.

The ABS module is throwing the C1241 code... Don't know why.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by asilverblazer View Post
    Wow, I haven't seen any wiring, plugs, harnesses whatever for the wear sensors... Where are they? What do they look like?
    The pad wear sensors are mounted to the backing plate in a notch machined out of the pad material in the inboard pads.
    The picture shows a front pad set for a 1998 Seville and your year/model parts will be similar. The inboard pads are to the right and the ends of the pad wear sensor that mounts in the notch are in front of the high temperature grease package.

Also my brakes are less than 6 months old, when they needed replaced, the only warning I got was the pad eating up the rotor.
    Several possible reasons for that; the pads were not the correct parts and did not include the pad wear sensors, OR a previous owner by passed the pad wear sensor at one or more locations. Who knows what has been done to the brakes on a soon to be eleven year old car?

Possibly a failed Variable Effort Steering Actuator and almost certainly nothing to do with your brakes situation.

It seems odd that replacing the EBTCM would bring up these new codes. My original EBTCM went out suddenly with no previous codes. Install one from salvage and suddenly these codes? That is the part that doesn't make sense to me.
    Also my brakes are less than 6 months old, when they needed replaced, the only warning I got was the pad eating up the rotor.
    Several possible reasons for that; the pads were not the correct parts and did not include the pad wear sensors, OR a previous owner by passed the pad wear sensor at one or more locations. Who knows what has been done to the brakes on a soon to be eleven year old car?
    I agree who knows, still doesn't explain these sudden problems.
    Possibly a failed Variable Effort Steering Actuator and almost certainly nothing to do with your brakes situation.
    I don't know what to think about this, I know it likley isn't related, except by the timing of it.

----------

----------

My manual doesn't say anything about the "Change Brake Pads" either.
    If my car didn't have that and the EBTCM was expecting that circuit to be closed, mine would obviously be open.
    Same thing for the steering code.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by asilverblazer View Post
    My manual doesn't say anything about the "Change Brake Pads" either.
    If my car didn't have that and the EBTCM was expecting that circuit to be closed, mine would obviously be open.
    Same thing for the steering code.
    You can take it to the bank that your car left Hamtramck with brake pad wear sensors installed.

Show us a picture of the front cover of your 'manual".

I use the online manual for my car, the factory one was all tore up.

I never finished addressing this, because I sold the car.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.