Best MPG you've observed - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Best MPG you've observed in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 23 mpg Dallas to OKC...
    asilverblazer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Re: Best MPG you've observed

23 mpg Dallas to OKC

pocketpared is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Eldorado

92 Eldo 4.9l, 27.9 mpg on a 2.5 hour drive, 70 mph, all highway, climate control off.

capthead is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville

Thank a lot for the replies. I see some get very high mileage and others about the same as my car. It is an SLS and is stock. I also tried premium in it and found no difference.

I have found that the brand of gas makes the most difference. I use Chevron, which is Standard Oil, and it's the one with Techron. I get at least 4 mpg better with Chevron than some brands. 2 MPG better than Shell. Texaco is now part of Chevron and it's gas is the same.

When I was manager at a dealership I got 1 tank of gas a week as a perk. We used a Mobil station. My Pontiac got 14 MPG with Mobil premium on my commute which was mostly freeway, but some city stop and go. One day they closed the Mobil and we switched to a Texaco station a block farther away. After the second tank, I was getting 18 on that same commute. I was blown away. This was 1996.

Then I started getting reports about the fuel injector problems with bad gas and in our service department we would clean out the injectors with Goodwrench Fuel Injector Cleaner. If you looked on the bottom of the plastic bottle, it was stamped Chevron. It was Techron. The same Techron you get at Sams or Costco or your parts store. Then I get a report from BMW that they tested the fuel in the US and only recommended a few companies gas. On the bad gas list was Arco, Mobil and most other brands, Shell included. They were having warranty problems with bad gas and failing injectors, all Bosh stuff.

Still, with Chevron in my tank and the cruise set at 75, I can't get 25. Sounds like a song.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but gasoline "brand" makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE in mileage, none. There aren't very many refineries, and unless you find a l VERY low volume station in the boonies with ancient ponps and tanks, it's very difficult to find "mad gas".

And LOTS of stations sell gas with Chevron Techron in it. Google top tier fuel.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Best I ever got was 24.5 over a 100 mile run a few years back. 2000 STS. I believe I was going 60-65MPH the entire way with a few bouts at 70MPH.

capthead is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville

Techron wasn't used by other refineries for a long time and I realize that has changed recently. I also know it's the additives or lack of that is the difference in brands. I experienced a vast difference in mileage in the 90's with my Pontiac. Don't tell me I didn't. I also have ten relatives that are in the oil business and work in chemical engineering. One was the head chemist for Phillips Petroleum. I do know a little about gasoline, diesel and oil.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

That set of facts and $1.50 will buy you a Bud Lite draft at your local gin mill after 4 on Fridays.

"Gas mileage" depends on the car, the driver, the gas, the time of year, the location, the driving conditions, the load, the phase of the moon, blah, blah, blah. Relatives who work for oil companies do not figure into the averages. (My relatives are in the lumber and millwork business - they sure as hell didn't build my home.)

My F-150s get 18 highway, the STS gets 24.8 and my daughter's Hyundai Sonata gets 34. So what ?

................ TECHRON, Phillips, Texaco, Chevron, goose grease - Google is a wonderful fact equalizer.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Just got 25.3MPG on a 200 mile trip back from Danville, VA to New Bern. Would have been better if I didn't wind the motor out a bit. Plus on the interstate I was running 75-80MPH the entire time with the A/C blasting (hello humidity). In the same situation I believe my STS would have done 20 or 21MPG.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by capthead View Post
    Thank a lot for the replies. I see some get very high mileage and others about the same as my car. It is an SLS and is stock. I also tried premium in it and found no difference.

I have found that the brand of gas makes the most difference. I use Chevron, which is Standard Oil, and it's the one with Techron. I get at least 4 mpg better with Chevron than some brands. 2 MPG better than Shell. Texaco is now part of Chevron and it's gas is the same.
    The refinery operations of Chevron/Texaco are married. The retail gas stations that used to be branded Texaco are now branded Shell.

To the point; I was never able to attribute any MPG difference from brand to brand. Simply because a one tank sample will not provide useful, repeatable data. Nor will a 1,000 mile test or a 10,000 mile test. There are simply too many variables.

I faithfully record every drop of fluid that goes into my cars and when (spreadsheet). Over a thirteen year period (206,xxx miles) my '98 (STS) delivered an "average" of 20.27 MPG with a maximum one-tank yield of 27.27 MPG. The trip to trip or tank to tank deviations from that 20.27 average were rarely more than 10%.

The dominant variable is the driver's right foot followed closely by Interstate vs. rural/urban mileage percentages. I know that fuel costs per mile seem to be important to a lot of people simply because that money is being spent every week and is therefore obvious. But, fuel cost per mile is not even close to being the single largest factor in the cost of automobile ownership.

Mafiaman111 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Eldorado 173000 miles Black on Black

Best I ever got was 30 MPG on the highway with 87 octane gas with no a/c running goring about 70 MPH with no cruise control on and the worst I ever got was 12 MPG

phx_94_SLS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville STS, 94 Seville SLS (HG Fail,Still Runs)

My '94 SLS stayed right around 18.5 mpg, with jackrabbit starts and full throttle blasts often. I went about 2 years without a reset of the data. I drove in all conditions in the city, jobsite was different every few days. Never got on the open road much, but the few trips from Phoenix to Tuscon I took put the mpg up to 24 round trip. When I sat in car eating lunch with it idling and A/C on I would loose 3 or 4 tenths of a mpg. Have not had my 2002 STS long enough to give a good result but it is at about 16.5 since reset 2 months ago. The feel of the SLS vs the STS is noticeable, SLS feels more powerful. STS higher cruise RPM and less low end torque. Given a choice I would take the SLS motor cuz torque is more fun than HP for city driving + better mpg. I used 91 octane till prices went up and spread between grades went from 8 or 10 cents to 15 or more. Never saw any difference so 87 it is.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.