98 Seville cooling fans not working
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JimD
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 98 Seville cooling fans not working in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    reubenf2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac STS

98 Seville cooling fans not working

Hi,
    I have been looking on past threads and can't find a solution to my problem so maybe someone can help me.

I have a 98 seville sts with a 4.6L northstar v8. My cooling fans won't turn on when the engine gets too hot (above 236 °F) and results in overheating when I drive long enough in warm weather.

To troubleshoot I have had the relays and fuses looked at and they look good. I have also put in a new coolant temp sensor.
    I have tested the fans to see if they work by disconnecting the coolant temp sensor and they run good at a high speed like they are supposed too.
    With the coolant temp sensor plugged in my gauge on my dash appears to work correctly as it goes to the 3 oclock postion when the engine overheats. My DIC tells me that the engine is hot and that the a/c is off as a result so it sounds like the sensor is detecting that the coolant is getting too hot.
    When I run the engine with the a/c on and the coolant temp sensor connected, the fans do not turn on as they should.
    Tomorrow I'm going to pick up the 18psi AC delco coolant reservoir cap to replace my 15 psi cap but I doubt that will make any difference. I also do not suspect the thermostat is a problem as the coolant flow appears to be normal.
    I'm not sure if the problem is with the PCM but it seems like thats the only remaining part that could go wrong. Is it the pcm thats the problem? Or is there another component I am missing that could be causing this issue?

Thank you very much for any help/advice that is provided!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 98 Seville cooling fans not working

Forget the cap. That will not help. Also forget the fans for now. If your gauge is going to the 3:00 position all the fans in the world will not help. You need to figure out why it's overheating. First check the purge line. If it is clear and flows coolant, do a block test. If not, clear the blockage, most likely in the hollow bolt it attaches to.

Well the gauge doesnt got to the 3 o clock position right away. Its usually after about 45min of driving on the highway on a warm day that thus occurs. So I figured if my fans were operating correctly then the coolant would be kept at the ideal temp rather than overheat after the 45min or so its currently taking to overheat.

I will check my purge line for any blockage though just to make sure that the coolant flows as it should.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the fans don't run when you're driving because air is being forced over the radiator
    (or at least it should be if your splash shields and air deflectors are all in place)

once the car comes to a stop (or slows down enough) the fans will run to force air over the radiator
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by reubenf2 View Post
    Well the gauge doesnt got to the 3 o clock position right away. Its usually after about 45min of driving on the highway on a warm day that thus occurs. So I figured if my fans were operating correctly then the coolant would be kept at the ideal temp rather than overheat after the 45min or so its currently taking to overheat.

I will check my purge line for any blockage though just to make sure that the coolant flows as it should.
    -------------------
    the electric cooling fans are there to move air through the radiator -
    when the car is not moving - or just barely creeping along -
    at speeds above 30 or so - the fans don't help at all -

so - like Ranger said - you need to find the REASON for the overheating -
    and it has nothing to do with the electric fans -

I also do not suspect the thermostat is a problem
    as the coolant flow appears to be normal.

HOW did you determine that?
    how/where did you observe coolant flow?
    -----------------------

OK - first check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes -

if you don't know how - go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
    ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

----------------------
    next - check the PURGE LINE -

the PURGE LINE is the only way of expelling air from the Northstar cooling system -

it is a 3/8 diameter hose that goes from a hollow bolt in the thermostat/waterpump housing area of the engine - and plugs onto a nipple on the side of the SERGE TANK -

with the engine running - there should be a gentle - constant flow of coolant - from the engine - to the serge tank -

if there is no flow - the most likely cause is a blockage in the hollow bolt -

follow the hose towards the engine - with the engine OFF - remove the hose - use a straightened metal coat hanger - or something similar - and poke it into the hollow bolt -

the coat hanger should go in about 2 1/2 inches -

once the hollow bolt is cleared - you can briefly start the engine to verify coolant flow - be sure to use some sort of container to catch the coolant so you don't make a mess -

check the hose and serge tank for blockage -

--------------------

finally - do a BLOCK TEST -
    and keep your fingers crossed - but be prepared -

On my DIC I have no codes and the only relevant code that was on my caddy's computer was regarding the coolant temp sensor being disconnected and that was from when I changed the sensor.

I checked the flow based on how quick the purge ljne warmed up. Also I had a hole in my upper radiator hose and the coolant was gushing out and so I feltbit was safe to assume the coolant was flowing through the engine well.

However I'll definetly check the hollow bolt and purge line for blockage when I have a chance.

As for a block test I guess I'll have to do it but my car doesnt quite have all the symptoms of a head gasket issue so I was hoping something else was causing the overheating.

And thanks a lot for the clarification on how the fans are supposed to work. I will change my expextations of how they are supposed to run.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You need to check the purge line visually. Even with little or no flow, the purge line will still warm up.

On my DIC I have no codes and the only relevant code that was on my caddy's computer was regarding the coolant temp sensor being disconnected and that was from when I changed the sensor.

I checked the flow based on how quick the purge ljne warmed up. Also I had a hole in my upper radiator hose and the coolant was gushing out and so I feltbit was safe to assume the coolant was flowing through the engine well.

However I'll definetly check the hollow bolt and purge line for blockage when I have a chance.

As for a block test I guess I'll have to do it but my car doesnt quite have all the symptoms of a head gasket issue so I was hoping something else was causing the overheating.

And thanks a lot for the clarification on how the fans are supposed to work. I will change my expextations of how they are supposed to run.
    ----------------------------
    I checked the flow based on how quick the purge ljne warmed up.
    that proves less than nothing - follow the instructions posted in #5 -

Also I had a hole in my upper radiator hose
    and the coolant was gushing out
    and so I feltbit was safe to assume
    the coolant was flowing through the engine well.

NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING -

all that proves is that you have a hole in the radiator hose -
    and the system was under SOME pressure -

it has NOTHING to do with coolant circulation -

I hope you replaced the leaking hose -

Ok. Ya what you guys are saying does make sense. So is removing the purge line and turning on the engine the only way to evaluate the coolant flow?

And I replaced the leaking hose immediatly so its all fixed now.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

That's the only way to verify that the purge line is clear if that's what you mean by "coolant flow". It won't tell you much about coolant flow through the rest of the cooling system.

Ok. Ya what you guys are saying does make sense. So is removing the purge line and turning on the engine the only way to evaluate the coolant flow?

And I replaced the leaking hose immediatly so its all fixed now.
    ------------------------------
    So is removing the purge line and turning on the engine
    the only way to evaluate the coolant flow?

it is the only way to be sure coolant - and possibly trapped air -
    is flowing through the PURGE LINE -

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

....So is removing the purge line and turning on the engine the only way to evaluate the coolant flow?
    No.

If you remove the pressure cap from the reservoir/surge tank/serge tank/sarge tank and check that you can see coolant in the tank, then removing the hose from the hollow bolt nipple will allow coolant to trickle from the nipple (gravity at work).

If there is not a trickle of coolant, remove the hollow bolt (15MM deep socket) and clear any obstruction. DO NOT go poking in the hollow bolt with the bolt installed in the coolant crossover; that will only force any possible obstruction into the crossover where it will circulate through the cooling system and eventually lodge somewhere.

If there is a trickle of coolant at the hollow bolt, connect the hose to the nipple and remove the hose at the other end of that plumbing circuit from the side of the ?? tank and start the engine. The photo shows the volume of coolant flow you should see with the engine at idle.
    98cadillac likes this.

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    If you remove the pressure cap from the reservoir/surge tank/serge tank/sarge tank...

So I took or my caddy on the highway and in the city a couple times and it never overheated so I guess all the advice helped fix it. Thanks a lot!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.