97 STS Chrome rims...how to make them ALL chrome
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 97 STS Chrome rims...how to make them ALL chrome in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; OK before I go into a long draw out post, I am seeing if anyone has the same question/problem/issue that ...
    Realtor1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS

97 STS Chrome rims...how to make them ALL chrome

OK before I go into a long draw out post, I am seeing if anyone has the same question/problem/issue that I have.

On my 97 STS the rims are chrome (was an option for the year) the downside is the chrome is really only on the front /face of the rim.

From looking at the rim it has a dull coating or something on the sides of the spokes and the interior lip.

I have found a way to may the entire rim chrome for about 5.00. No joke. If there is interest I will post...here is a picture to show what I am talking about this is a before picture.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MacKiNBacK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Re: 97 STS Chrome rims...how to make them ALL chrome

You got any after pictures? I have a few spots on my 00' that are the same way.

Here is an after picture, keep in mind I didnt spend much time but it made a 100% improvement.

I took them into a ton of shops and everyone said there pitted, nothing you can do...all idiots...this will blow you away with how easy it is. BUT remeber, you go all chrome you need to keep the brake dust off or they will chip and peel.

This may not apply to your vehicle...look close at the stuff on mine to make sure it looks the same.
    Attached Images

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

REALTOR, I have the same rims with the same problem. Yours look fantastic!!! I had been wondering if there was a fix for this.

Whats the secret?

johnny5alive0 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation Re: 97 STS Chrome rims...how to make them ALL chrome

C'mon you just gotta tell us how you did this on 5 bucks. That is just a 200% improvement. The stock rims on my STS are chrome faced and have this like silver painted inset. How can I tell for sure if it's the same. What materials did you use and how long is not much time?
    I have been considering upgrading my OE rims to a set of 18's, but this could give them a whole new lease of life.:coolgleam

Will someone please tell me what I've gotta do to get a decent size picture posted within the text...it's beginning to irritate now.

Doug

96 STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS, 2002 Seville SLS

YEEESSSSS!!! A solution to this problem!! Some of my rims have the same problem as yours Realtor1. I just haven't been brave enough or have enough time to try to figure out a fix.

Give it up!! How did you do it??

96 STS

wildetag is offline Cadillac Owners Member

c'mon man tell us......and for the brake dust, try porcelin pads next time

MacKiNBacK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Well it cant be that hard at all.. I noticed when scrubbing them a bit hard to get discoloration out they started to lose that dullness and chrome started showing. Mine arent anywhere near how bad yours are. But I get the dark color from the water and break dust mixing i guess? But cant get it out.

MacK

sts15l7 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

damn. haha i love this forum...everyone with a certain year n model have a WIDE range of problems that we all solve in our own ways...which is essentially the purpose of the forum, but still. it's nice...feels like a family

yeah im lolz

but yeah realtor, whas the trick?

-mir

Here are some more before and afer pics, I finished up with all four wheels last night.

I actually spent 429.00 to find this out but it was worth it, the product to remove is aprox 5.00. I will explain in a few what I mean and the secret. Here are the pics. UNREAL the differance.

OK here is how I found this out and it works for any doubters out there..look at my pictures in previous posts.

I was tired of the rims looking like shit so I got on ebay and bought a set of 05 Deville wheels (brand new take offs, paid 429. including shipping, I thought that was a sweet deal), my idea was to put the new ones on my White 97 STS and take the 97 wheels and put them on my black 93 STS, the 93 rims look like they fell off the ugly tree I hate them. I will be selling them if anyone needs 93 rims.

The guy that I bought the rims off called me, started bsing with him telling him about my 97 rims, he laughs, said he has a fix for it. Then he goes on and explains to me what it is on the rim.

He said cadillac DOES chrome the entire rim, just that after they do that they PAINT THEM! He said the reason they do that is MOST people wouldnt take proper care of a rim that is all chrome, as we all know the brake dust will cause the chrome to chip and peel.

Anyway here is what everyone has been waiting for....go to Home depot get a can (one can should be fine) called Graffiit remover. It comes in a can like spray paint, can be found in the paint section. It has the words graffitti remover right on the outside, cant miss it. Spray the areas that have the paint, do it when they are cool noty hot, I did it both ways cool is better. ONLY DO 1 wheel at a time. I learned that the hard way also.

Spray it on, let it soak for about 10-min or so then take a rag and start wiping, some of the heavy areas you will need to do it once or twice. I would say it takes maybe 20-30 min per tire. After I did the remover I polished them with some mothers chrome cleaner/polisher and vola like new chrome rims.

They looks so good I wish I hadnt bought the new ones. I thkn the chrome will make the black 93 really stand out. I think chrome on a black makes the chrome stand out more than if its on a white car.

ANyway, if you need me to I will post a picture of the can of remover. the cost was 5 something and I had bought two cans and didnt even use half of one!

Now tell me I am the man...LOL...just kidding...hope this helps. any questions let me know.

ok, ok, we're hooked. C'mon reel the carrot in. Please tell....the suspense is awful.

Doug :drinker

Yep, You da man

Can you post a pic of the can...I for one will have to find something similar since it's a good chance I won't be able to get the exact product here. So if the can reveals it's constructive contents, that would be a real help too.
    Or....perhaps I could persuade you to send me your spare can.....I'll happily cover your costs.
    Great post. Really useful...and to a alot of owners

Doug :coolgleam

oK...Now tell me again I am the man :coolgleam . For those of you who dont have a home depot near you go here http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gjl.0&MID=9876

and you can oder it and have it shipped to you.

the link is not showing up correctly probably due to it being to long. Just go to home depot, in the search box at the top right type in "graffitti remover" and the exact product I used will come up.

Lots of viewing going on but no posts

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.