Wp clicking noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Wp clicking noise in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So yesterday I was driving and I noticed that my temp gauge increased to slightly before the next line after ...
    Cadillac Kyle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 eldorado etc, 1997 eldorado etc, 2001 eldorado etc
    So yesterday I was driving and I noticed that my temp gauge increased to slightly before the next line after 12. I was in stop and go traffic (alot of red lights) and the outside temp was reading 92I'm sure this is normal right? When I was driving it would go back to a tick past 12 even with a/c on. A little worried I am now letting my car idle up to temp to see if its going to go past 12. I popped good and now I'm noticing a clicking noise coming from the pulley system (click click click click click etc) as fast as you can read them. I'm wondering if that's normal on my 01 or would clicking indicate a slip or non proper function. I cant ever remember it even going past 12 even in stop and go. I take the same route as always but yesterday it seemed to increase in temp. Would the outside temp cause that?Edit: now that it's at 12 the clicking is a slightly faint but still very much present. Last edit: I usually smell the smell of burning rubber when I drive a while and after stopping the car. I can definitely smell the smell of rubber burning coming directly over the belt cover of the wp.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Wp clicking noise

Check your belt tensioner. If you are smelling burning rubber, the tensioner bearing may have seized and the drive pulley may be slipping against the belt. It may be too late and you may have to replace the drive pulley on the intake cam snout.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Just replaced my tensioner pulley because it was clicking a little. One less annoying noise anyways. Upon inspection it definitely needed replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Check your belt tensioner. If you are smelling burning rubber, the tensioner bearing may have seized and the drive pulley may be slipping against the belt. It may be too late and you may have to replace the drive pulley on the intake cam snout.
    Believe it or not I had this same problem on the 97 (once it was out of commission I looked under the hood and the top pulley mech. Was completely destroyed. Looked like it was chewed up. But from what I can tell the belt on the 01 isn't slipping. It is still rotating with no skips in it. But I'm guessing you are saying that its pretty much rubbing its way through its path. Edit: after 15 or so minutes of idling and slight engine revs, no overheat or gauge movement. Now I'm worried bout this pump

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

It's probably not the water pump itself, it's most likely that the tensioner is starting to seize. I would replace it and the belt right away, and inspect the water pump drive pulley for worn grooves.

If it does seize, you're going to have to end up getting the car towed (probably at the most inconvenient time) and likely replacing the pulley in addition to the tensioner and the belt.

Ok so it seems like its the belt tensioner and belt that I'm needing to replace from what you guys say. Is there a particular one I'm looking for? I seen on rockauto there are accessory drives main drives and water pump drives. I'm guessing the water pump one but not 100% sure. And as far as brand is it as picky as spark plugs? Edit: so after check out rockauto more I seem to be confusing myself even more. If anyone could help in locating the exact parts I need in order to do the job. And also of anyone has any instructions as to how to "out with the old in with the new" I would really appreciate it.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Posted here and in Engines a million times. Pictures of the parts in my albums. How-to's in Cadillac Tech Tips.

Google "cadillac forums northstar water pump drive tensioner". or something close.

You can replace the pulley only - and the belt - without removing the spring-loaded tensioner arm - but it's all in here. Simple job.

IF the tensioner has frozen and thus overheated the belt (rubber smell) then the water pump drive pulley, mounted on the intake cam extension, may be damaged. THAT is an intense, dedicated pulley pull job because steel center hub of that puppy is pressed - tightly - onto the cam extension. Do it the right way with the right tools or risk cam and oil seal damage.

EDIT: Assuming this is for the 1997 or 2001 Eldorado. heavy traffic - temperature gauges DO move - if they did not, then something's wrong.

Ok thank you all. Sub ill be taking a stroll through your albums to find what I need and also search the forums for the how to's. I didn't search only because I didn't know what to call it lol. Now I know. Also I will see if all of the pulleys are spinning properly inorder to ensure nothing is seized up. Hopefully not. And also yes this is for the 01. The 97 is dead. So now I feel alot more confident in it knowing its very normal for the gauge to move. Once again thank you all. Will post when fixed.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Before you start throwing parts at it, why not invest in a mechanics stethoscope. It will help you pin point the noise and serve you well for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Before you start throwing parts at it, why not invest in a mechanics stethoscope. It will help you pin point the noise and serve you well for years to come.
    I have hear about the stethoscope (can check all kinds of problems ie fuel injectors etc) and honestly it's something that I will be picking up. The noise is definitely coming from the pulley system of the water pump. Exactly where I'm not sure but it is a clicking sound. The car is roughly 12 yrs old and I know things fail so I really don't mind replacing things (especially cooling system things) Honestly I'm not a mechanic or one who has worked on cars at that matter but I do have a drive for learning and basically if I can get some direction, and with my logical thinking, I am usually able to figure things out. This pulley stuff is new to me as I've never encountered this problem but once I do figure it out (replace what needs to be replace, possibly the whole pulley mech. ) I won't ever forget how to

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

I don't know your mechanic ability, but the belt & tensioner are not that tough to change.
    They should be changed before you waste the drive pulley. You probably will not be able to change that yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS
    I don't know your mechanic ability, but the belt & tensioner are not that tough to change.
    They should be changed before you waste the drive pulley. You probably will not be able to change that yourself.
    As far as my skill, I can basically do anything I put my mind to...however things I am not comfortable with are things that can completely destroy a car if not done properly (engine, trans, electronics) Things like changing sensors hoses mechanical parts etc are things that don't worry me. I have never done anything pertaining to this but i will look up belt and tensioner replacement and go through it that way. I'm sure its not anything that I can't handle. But like you all have stated drive pulley would be something I wouldn't even attempt due to you guys saying its intensive and must be done properly and me knowing MY knowledge of cars. I appreciate any and all help guys. Thank you

So a minor update: today I took the liberty of having it checked out under Rangers info about not jus throwing parts at it. I let it run some and I couldn't replicate the burning smell in the time it was idling (however I know I'm not crazy and I did smell it...actually been smelling it off and on since replacing spark plugs) but the clicking still seemed to be there. But what I believe it is, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel as if it is actually my valves clicking due to the fact that my oil level is extremely low (borderline no oil on the stick) I tried changing it today but dumb jiffylube seemed to have tighten the drain bolt to the point I can't get it off by normal means (socket ratchet) so my question is is there a way I can loosen it up some? (I know, odd question) but I noticed that when I was trying to loosen it (turning handle to the right) it was slowly stripping my socket. Also please feel free to chime in on my believes of the clicking.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Oil no longer appears on the dipstick at ~5.5 quarts remaining, not "extremely low".

If you were turning the handle to the right, counter clockwise, then you were tightening the drain bolt. And if it was stripping your socket, either the socket was the wrong size, or the bolt head is almost completely round.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    Oil no longer appears on the dipstick at ~5.5 quarts remaining, not "extremely low".

If you were turning the handle to the right, counter clockwise, then you were tightening the drain bolt. And if it was stripping your socket, either the socket was the wrong size, or the bolt head is almost completely round.
    Ok well that makes me feel a little better as far as the oil level is concerns however what about my theory of the valve clicking due to low oil lvl? And when I said turning to the right I am correct but I forgot to mention I was at the front of the car so my right would be the screws left. So now I'm guessing I just need to find the exact socket for it. For a 40 piece set so I'm sure it's in there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.