RAPIE Module replaced, no RAP function
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, RAPIE Module replaced, no RAP function in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The Car: 1992 Seville, 4.9L PFI Below I have pasted a copy of a TSB issued for my Seville. It ...
    Zynder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville 4.9L 230k+ miles

RAPIE Module replaced, no RAP function

The Car: 1992 Seville, 4.9L PFI

Below I have pasted a copy of a TSB issued for my Seville. It was experiencing this problem and so I replaced the RAPIE module with the one listed. This has fixed the flashing interior light/battery drain problem but now I have absolutely no RAP function. When turning the key to off, all systems shut down like an old non-RAP car would. All items function normally when the car is running. Placing the ignition switch into ACC also powers everything normally. All I did for this fix was unplug the old module and plug in the "new" one I got from a junkyard. I can't rule out a bad RAPIE module, it was used afterall, but I don't have another to test with. Or is part of the "fix" the new module incorporates is to just disable RAP function? I'd like RAP to be functional.

----BEGIN TSB----
    SUBJECT:
    INTERIOR LIGHTS CYCLE ON/OFF OR INOPERATIVE ILLUMINATED ENTRY

MODELS AFFECTED:
    1992 ELDORADOS AND SEVILLES

This bulletin supersedes Service bulletins T-92-3 and T-92-115 which should be discarded. This bulletin is being revised to correct one of the Labor Operations
    The 1992 Eldorados and Sevilles built before the VIN breakpoint and equipped with the first generation RAPIE module listed below, will continuously turn on the interior lights for a timed cycle, turn them off, and then back on if the door handle/RKE input is shorted to ground causing a discharged battery.
    The 1992 Eldorados and Sevilles built after the VIN breakpoint or equipped with the second generation RAPIE module listed below, will disable the illuminated entry feature if the door handle/RKE input is shorted continuously to ground.
    VIN Breakpoint
    Eldorado .............. 608125Seville ................ 810997
    RAPIE P/N
    2nd Generation ........... 12135007
    Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
    To diagnose these conditions check for a short to ground at the RAPIE module terminal A7. Refer to Service Information Manual Section 8A-114 for circuit diagram, and Section 8A-201-32, Figure A for component location. The short to ground may be caused by a shorted door handle switch (P/N 16626131), malfunctioning RKE module, or circuit 157.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: RAPIE Module replaced, no RAP function

I doubt the fix was to disable RAP. Have you checked the relays associated with RAP. Later years have 2, one behind seat and another under drivers door sill towards front. Not sure exactly how many you have or where they are.
    Since the RAP cuts the ground I would check the grounds also, probably behind the seat also.
    The other thing that comes to mind is part # you swapped in, was it the same?

Zynder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville 4.9L 230k+ miles

Re: RAPIE Module replaced, no RAP function

Ya know you are probably right about the relays. The module fix was supposed to be just disabling of the door handle switches if they stayed grounded all the time. So that's why I got confused there. But the car did sit with the window stuck partially down for quite along time. The rain leaked in there and I had to repair or replace almost every piece of electronics in the driver door. That relay being below there is probably soaked and I didn't even think about that. Thanks. The RAPIE module I replaced is the same number that is in the TSB which of course is a different PN than OEM for 1992.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.