New plugs, now won't idle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New plugs, now won't idle in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I changed out the plugs with AC 41-987 and it won't idle. I didn't remove any vacuum hoses so I ...
    capthead is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville

New plugs, now won't idle

I changed out the plugs with AC 41-987 and it won't idle. I didn't remove any vacuum hoses so I don't have any idea what the problem is. It runs smooth at fast idle, no miss or hesitation, just won't idle and dies when you take your foot off the gas.

Any ideas?

2004 Seville

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Re: New plugs, now won't idle

Maybe not intentionally. Reinspect, something got knocked loose

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Codes. Still do-able in 2004. MAF or throttlebody sensor(s) ?

No codes yet
    I looked the top over and don't see anything loose. I had my wife start it so I could listen and I heard nothing hissing. It must be vacuum can't imagine it's anything else.

If you have a vacuum leak THAT large you would hear the whistle........... Hmmmmm.............. PCV dirty air line to the right (rear) cam cover ?

This is crazy. I couldn't find anything so I took it for a drive. Drove it a mile or so and brought it back to the house. It's idling great now.

Is it possible the computer needed to adjust to the new plugs? I removed a different brand and they were iridium made in Japan. Those came with the car new.

I find it hard to believe that a PCM would need to do an idle speed relearn with a simple plug change.

Iridium ?? or DENSO platinum ??? Interesting - pictures of the old plugs ? 2004 - what does the Specifications section of the owner's manual say for plug type/number ?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by capthead View Post
    Is it possible the computer needed to adjust to the new plugs?
    No. Hard to say what caused it. Chalk it up to "one of those things".

It says the AC Delco 41-987 is the right plug. I removed DENSO iridium IT16 which looked like new but the car has 106,485 miles on it.

The iridum plugs were not normally used as original equipment ......... did you buy the car new ?

Took it on the freeway and the car runs good. Too soon to see if MPG changes but I'll make note of any changes here. IMHO if the Denso plug idled good and the new AC died, maybe the Denso is the way to go for this engine. It's idling smoother now than with the old plugs so a change was needed and I'm happy at this point with the AC's.

----------

My father-in-law bought it as a brass hat car, (A GM employee car), and he sold it to my wife. He never changed plugs and he bought it with 30,000 something miles on it. So as far as I know, it came with those. Usually the driver is a factory rep in the brass hats. I worked at a dealership and we got them from time to time.

FWIW, DENSO was the original supplier of the platinum plugs for most of the pre-2004 (???) Northstars - The owner's manuals give a DENSO number - but some time in about 2004 - 2005 there was a change - the plug physically remained the same (platinum), but became "AC Delco" made, labeled and boxed in Japan - your guess as to which Japanese company is under contract to GM. I have three sets of "AC Delco" #41-987 plugs bought over the last 6 years - all are boxed "Made in Japan".

My original plugs were DENSO with a GM designation of PT16EPR-C13

Convert your DENSO IT16 to an AC Delco number ......... 41-921 !!!

Here's the direct cross reference ............. http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/convert/AC_DELCO/41-987

The car is running like new. It starts, idles and runs great. The idle is a lot smoother with the new AC plugs. FWIW, the electrode is much larger on the AC over the Denso and maybe it's a fatter spark, I don't know but it does run much better.

I also installed a K&N air filter for the first time on the car. I'm hoping for improvement all around.

Hate to tell you this, but you just wasted some money. Air filters have been discussed to death in here and in Engines. If the K&N you installed is the wetted type, be ready for problems - Your (our) engines DO NOT like oil vapor on the MAF heated resistors. Been there, done that.

A good ol' AC Delco, PartsMaster, Purolator, Fram, WIX pleated paper filter filters down to the micron level and will flow far, far more air - while cleaning it - than the engine can use at WOT redline.......... and for $6.95 you throw it (and the dirt) away every 12,000 miles and start over.

Want some ideas on how to get better airflow and clean up the intake ducting a bit ??? Look in my albums, search for the butt plug modification, and PM me. It has all been posted before ..............

Google "cadillac forums butt plug seville".

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by capthead View Post
    I changed out the plugs with AC 41-987 and it won't idle. I didn't remove any vacuum hoses so I don't have any idea what the problem is. It runs smooth at fast idle, no miss or hesitation, just won't idle and dies when you take your foot off the gas.
    Any ideas?
    2004 Seville
    I understand it's idling good now, but did you either let the battery die or disconnect it before the plug change?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.