Noises and Steering Pump Air
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Noises and Steering Pump Air in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have had a problem with front end noises for about a year, with the exception of the rack most ...
    Yaemish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville, 04 SRX

Noises and Steering Pump Air

I have had a problem with front end noises for about a year, with the exception of the rack most of my front end is new. I thought that I had eliminated the problem only to hear it reappear this past weekend. I have also recently replaced the high pressure line for the power steering after I found that it was leaking. I purged all the air but was still getting the bubble noise. I decided to replace the steering pump as well, as it was getting a little noisy and the steering seemed loose.

With the new pump, I followed the air purging procedure and it is a lot less noisy. After about two weeks (and multiple purges), I still hear the bubbles and I am beginning to think that air is getting in there somehow. Is it possible that something is wrong with the rack and that it is causing my noise and letting some air into the power steering system?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Re: Noises and Steering Pump Air

What steps are you using to purge the air? I was about ready to return my new pump because of the noise , then I followed the steps that came with it again very carefully and the noise and air dissappeared

I used a turkey baster to change out the remaining fluid as it got dirty during the procedure. With the wheels up you crank it to the left to add the fluid then go clock to clock 20-40 times to get the bubbles out. You put the front end down on cardboard, cap back on, let it run for two minutes then go lock to lock. After a day or so there will be air in the line again.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

If I remember right, it looks like your procedure is correct. I threw the instructions from my new Rippy pump away. You may have a leak somewhere letting air back in. I'm not sure how to find it, only tighten everything again.

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

If you are getting air in the system without an external fluid leak, I would strongly suspect an issue on the suction side of the pump. Some folks have been known to use shaving cream or other water-soluble foam to find such leaks.

The suction side is the high pressure hose which is brand new. I did a slow serpentine in the lot at home depot today and was able to let some air out. Maybe there was still some in the system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.