93 STS spark plug not firing
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 93 STS spark plug not firing in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi i got a 93 sts that had a little miss then i noticed smoke out of the exhaust very ...
    decimatedsouls is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 cadillac seville sts

93 STS spark plug not firing

Hi i got a 93 sts that had a little miss then i noticed smoke out of the exhaust very rich fuel odor so i pulled the plugs and 1 of them was soaked in gas so i cleaned the plugs and then replaced the plug wires the car ran great for about 20 minutes on a test drve then started acting up again and the plug was gas soaked again. Bad plug or maybe coil pack not delivering good spark any ideas

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 93 STS spark plug not firing

If your STS has the Northstar engine it's probably time for new spark plug wires - the expensive AC Delco set from RockAuto - and a thorough coil and ICM cleaning. Check the ICM ground wire and its terminals also.

Use the diagrams in my albums for proper spark plug - coil wire hookup.

Don't overlook the possibility of a sticky fuel injector. In addition to the plug wires and coil cleaning you might want to run a 20 oz. jug of Chevron TECHRON through a tank of Top Tier gasoline. (Google both - top tier gasoline and chevron techron .)

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

1 wet plug? Sounds like you have one not firing. Gotta be a bad plug, wire or coil.

Hi my 93 seville sts has the 4.6 northstar i put new wires on cleaned up the coil pack plugs and grounds the icm
    Is clean and grounds are good and coil is new still the same cylinder is not firing and plug gas soaked so i swapped
    The plug with another the car ran good for a few min then started missing again checked plugs again the same cylinder
    Is still not firing even with a different plug new wires and new coil??? Is the icm bad i thought if the icm was bad
    None of the plugs would fire

EcSTSatic is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Not sure I'm following. Did you swap a couple wires too?

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by decimatedsouls View Post
    Hi my 93 seville sts has the 4.6 northstar i put new wires on cleaned up the coil pack plugs and grounds the icm
    Is clean and grounds are good and coil is new still the same cylinder is not firing and plug gas soaked so i swapped
    The plug with another the car ran good for a few min then started missing again checked plugs again the same cylinder
    Is still not firing even with a different plug new wires and new coil??? Is the icm bad i thought if the icm was bad
    None of the plugs would fire
    ------------------------
    after all you have done -
    I think you have a fuel injector stuck open -
    and dumping so much raw fuel the spark plug CAN'T fire -

with the engine running -
    use a stethoscope - or something similar -
    and listen to each injector -
    you should hear a strong rhythmatic clicking - from each one -

next would be to measure the resistance of each one with a DVM -

Thanks for the reply i got it fixed it was a bad injector runs like a champ but now im having a charging issue

----------

93 sts 4.6 acdelco alt is about 1 year old and the battery about the same both have been bench tested about 5x and are good but when i start the engine it reads 11.5volts if i rev the engine up one time the volts jump up to 13.5 to 14.2 and its normally good all day when i start it up and shut it off, every so often when i start it up after work it does the same thing 11.5 till i rev it up one time then 13.5 to 14.2 even when the battery is under a load, grounds and wires all good any thoughts? And where does that little red alt wire go after it disappears into the wire harness to the dash or in the engine compartment somewhere thats the only wire i havent been able to inspect?

when i start the engine it reads 11.5volts if i rev the engine up one time the volts jump up to 13.5 to 14.2 and its normally good all day
    Just an educated guess, but that sounds suspiciously like an alternator problem.

Yeah thats what i thought but its been tested multiple times on and off the car and tests fine still trying to figure out where that little red alt wire goes if it goes to the dash or the engine compartment

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Somehow the alternator is missing the excitation voltage signal at engine start - that voltage what "starts' the alternator/regulator. You need a charging circuit diagram.

Many modified cars (and boat engines) use a one-wire alternator - they must be revved to about 1500 engine rpm to "start" - after that they're fine for the rest of that trip. You can find them in any hot rod or speed parts catalog.

el_dorado_mex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 El Dorado and 1991 Cheyenne Pickup
    Same thing here, figured that the regulator wiring is somewhat sensible, thin wires... Learned to live with it, no charge at stoplights and ok when above 900 rpm.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.