Transmission problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By amunderdog
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Transmission problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well I have posted here once about my car having transmission problems( meaning it wouldn't shift out of first gear) ...
    93 John Eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado

Transmission problems

Well I have posted here once about my car having transmission problems( meaning it wouldn't shift out of first gear) and the gentleman at the Cadillac dealership told me it was an input speed sensor problem. Now I recall someone saying that wasn't it if the speedometer was not working, well here is the weird part. I picked my baby up from the dealership and started driving it and it shifted perfectly, even the speedometer was working great. Then about 3 miles and a speed bump later the speedometer stopped working ( but the tach did ) and it went back into first gear and never shifted from there. What the heck could be wrong now??? Please help!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ronluh is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black on Black 2001 esc
    Pull codes and list with definitions..... then we can offer opinion.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Transmission problems

Two different animals here -

ISS - transmission Input Speed Sensor - reads input shaft speed - expensively buried inside the transmission with no easy fix

VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor - on top of the right axle output shaft housing - 20 minutes on a lift

Both sensors are powertrain, shift, and vehicle controls; the VSS also sends pulses to operate the speedometer.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

The early '90's 4T80Es where plagued by broken shift solenoids, enough so that replacement "kits" included a hold down strap to prevent it. If yours are original, maybe they are the problem. They SHOULD set a DTC.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Dealer said it was input speed sensor. So he did no work? I assume you just left and car worked ok for a few miles?

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

If they poked around and it worked, then you hit a bump and it now it does not work.
    I would be going over the wire harnesses very carefully.
    98eldo32v and 98eldo32v like this.

93 John Eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    Dealer said it was input speed sensor. So he did no work? I assume you just left and car worked ok for a few miles?
    Yes!! That's just what happened. They told me it would cost me $2600 to fix it and the input speed sensor harness would be $800 alone.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Did you pull codes?

Sounds more like the VSS and only the VSS or wiring thereof. (Outside the trans)
    The trans is capable of shifting without the ISS. It may shift erratically but will shift and should also get a "traction disabled message".

The ISS would be an expensive repair but I don't believe it's the case here. If you can't fix yourself, take it to an independent shop.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Tech 2 should show data sent to the PCM from both ISS and VSS. I would assume they were bein an honest dealer and showed varying information coming from the ISS sensor which is why they recommended its replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    I would assume they were bein an honest dealer
    Really?
    I thought you would know better than that, Batman.

I bought a mint cheap STS with a bad ISS and drove it home, 210 miles, some years back. Upshifted pretty good.

There is a lot of labor to change the ISS, but the part is not $800.
    http://transpartsdirect.com/4t80e-in...1-p-10811.html
    Maybe he misinterpreted what they told him.

Yea they are RARE but based on the info provided its still difficult to tell. If the OP is local ill be more than happy to hook it to my snap on modus and take a peak at the systems.

Based on what he said above the speedo only started to act up once he picked it up but he has had prolonged transmission issues which to me makes it a difficult call.

I still say, other than internal damage, the only thing that would cause no upshift out of first would be the VSS.
    If the ISS was bad, the PCM would see that as the engine at zero RPM's. As soon as the VSS signal increases, it would upshift. Should stack shift, but for whatever reason I've never seen it do that.

Best course IMHO would be to do the vss. It's cheap and easy to swap. Problem persists then its either wiring and we test continuity or its the ISS/wiring.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.