2001 Cadillac Idle OK but Vehicle will not accelerate
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2001 Cadillac Idle OK but Vehicle will not accelerate in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Was driving on highway 75-80 MPH, vehicle suddenly stopped responding to gas pedal. Pulled over, vehicle stayed in idle, but ...
    natalf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Seville SLS

Angry 2001 Cadillac Idle OK but Vehicle will not accelerate

Was driving on highway 75-80 MPH, vehicle suddenly stopped responding to gas pedal. Pulled over, vehicle stayed in idle, but when tried
    to get back on highway, vehicle would not accelerate. The car has 238,000 miles and has never had injectors cleaned or replaced. The only CODES pulled up related to PCM are P0453, P0463. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Re: 2001 Cadillac Idle OK but Vehicle will not accelerate

Welcome! Please post the code definitions for us.

EDIT: Does your tach spike when you hit the gas?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

From your description it almost sounds like a disconnected throttle cable, but the answer to 98cadillac's question will determine that.

No, thinking I have a bad fuel pump, clogged filter and injectors that need cleaned or replaced. Fuel pump pressure only 36 psi, and drops to 34 psi when I accelerate. The max psi it went up to was 40 psi...60 or more for Cadi?

My fuel pressure is supposed to be 45-50 psi, I'm not sure if it is different for your model year.

Do you mean that your tach does not go up when you press on the gas pedal without the car moving? Does the car stall when you press on the gas pedal?

*Please post the definitions to the codes in your original post.

The tachometer works normally, the engine starts fine, idle is rough then sort of settles. The vehicle just will not accelerate to a higher power when attempting to drive away, it stalls but engine keeps running.

Code P0453 Fuel tank pressure sensor/switch high, P0463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Specified KOEO fuel pressure in the Northstar is 41 - 47 psi. (GM service manual).

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Mine idles at 38 psi. I don't know how low it would have to drop to before it would start to show. My guess is that your fuel pressure is not your problem. Sounds like you have a disconnect between the engine and trans OR maybe a clogged CAT.

Quote Originally Posted by natalf View Post
    The tachometer works normally, the engine starts fine, idle is rough then sort of settles. The vehicle just will not accelerate to a higher power when attempting to drive away, it stalls but engine keeps running.

Code P0453 Fuel tank pressure sensor/switch high, P0463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input
    The reason that I am asking about the tachometer is because if the RPMs go up when you step on the gas pedal but the car does not move, this would likely point to a transmission related issue.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it stalls but engine keeps running". Stalling means that the engine stops running.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.