Question about coil packs for an '03 Seville - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Question about coil packs for an '03 Seville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; You sure did do good on the job compared to what the part would have cost new/what the repair would ...
    98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Re: Question about coil packs for an '03 Seville

You sure did do good on the job compared to what the part would have cost new/what the repair would have cost at a garage.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
    So... if I pull off my coil and I see cylinder #4 has signs of arcing, can I just replace that boot
    NO! I realize you have already done the job, but for future reference, if you find carbon tracking on the boot, it will also be on the plug and vice versa. If you only change one component, the carbon track will eventually transfer from the unchanged component back to the new one and the problem will reoccur and you'll be chasing your tail. When carbon tracking is involved you must change plugs and wires (or in this case boots).

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    NO! I realize you have already done the job, but for future reference, if you find carbon tracking on the boot, it will also be on the plug and vice versa. If you only change one component, the carbon track will eventually transfer from the unchanged component back to the new one and the problem will reoccur and you'll be chasing your tail. When carbon tracking is involved you must change plugs and wires (or in this case boots).
    ---------------------------
    good point - never even thought about arcing on the plug -

Jamie Z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    if it is a coil cassette from a Northstar motor -
    functionally - they are all the same -

same with the ICM - they too - are all the same -
    Functionally, yes. That appears to be the case. But I'm saying that the ICM was not interchangeable with the other coil. I took them both out and compared them. They looked almost exactly the same, but the plugs on the back of each was different.

If you have the whole unit, it's not a problem. I was hoping to reuse my ICM because the yard charged me $15 for the used part and I wanted to return it. I wasn't able to do that because my ICM would not plug into the older coil.

Jamie

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
    Functionally, yes. That appears to be the case. But I'm saying that the ICM was not interchangeable with the other coil. I took them both out and compared them. They looked almost exactly the same, but the plugs on the back of each was different.

If you have the whole unit, it's not a problem. I was hoping to reuse my ICM because the yard charged me $15 for the used part and I wanted to return it. I wasn't able to do that because my ICM would not plug into the older coil.

Jamie
    ---------------------------
    well - I don't know what to tell you -
    the DELPHI Part # GN10087 is the original part - from the OEM supplier -

and all fitment guides list this one part for the following cars -
    2000 to 2003 Deville Base - DHS and DTS -

2000 to 2002 Eldorado Base - ESC - and ETC -

2000 to 2004 Seville - SLS -
    2000 to 2003 Seville - STS - (there was no 2004 STS)

2001 to 2003 Oldsmobile Aurora -
    YES - the Aurora used a smaller 4.0 Northstar V8 -

-----------------
    and all the above listed cars use the same coil cassettes -

is it possible you were trying to plug the ICM in backwards - or upside down?

Jamie Z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville STS

Very strange. I'm almost certain that the plugs were different.

I didn't try to plug the ICM in. I removed both of them and then held them next to each other to compare, and when I turned them around to look at the end which goes inside the coil, it was obvious that the plugs were slightly different. I don't think it's worth removing the coil from my car at this point to get a photo, but I do have the original from my 2003. I might be able to find another from a 2000 at the junkyard.

I wonder if I was just seeing things. It seemed pretty obvious at the time that they were not interchangeable.

Jamie

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.