Drivers side parking lights
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Drivers side parking lights in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The 1993 Eldorado A week or so ago we had a pretty good storm roll thru. The lady of the ...
    amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Drivers side parking lights

The 1993 Eldorado
    A week or so ago we had a pretty good storm roll thru.
    The lady of the house comes home and says the drivers side parking lights are out.
    So I ask some questions. Seems there was a big water filled hole hiding in the rain (she hits about every hole there is when I ride with her).
    I go out and replace the fuse and it blows; not while I am working with it but after a short while.
    Anyway over the next week.
    Next i pull all the bulbs on the drivers side look everything over and clean the sockets then replace the fuse.
    It works for a while then blows the fuse.
    Next I sideline the vehicle and give her a Seville to drive.
    I pulled all the lamp wiring front and rear and inspect it carefully no problems found, and it will blow the fuse with the lamp harnesses removed, so the problem must be in the body of the car.

The odd part for me is all repair sessions the first fuse will last about 20 minutes there after the fuses blow immediately.
    Guess I need a better clue or a different tool.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Drivers side parking lights

I ordered an circuit fault detection tool - General Technologies FF310

CADDCT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood 02 EldoCollEdit 93DeVille Blue 93DeVille Black

I have the same problem on my 02 ETC. Same as you the fuse blows after driving for a while but not immediately. I also went through the front and rear lights and harnesses, as well as the license plate lights, and found nothing amiss. I started a thread and the only suggestion given was to wiggle the wires. Hope you can find where the issue is and post what you come up with.

Zynder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville 4.9L 230k+ miles

The only schematic I have is for a 1992 so maybe this will help. Looking at the schematic, I am assuming you are referring to fuse D11 10A in the trunk fuse block. Past this fuse, there are no kind of electronic control circuits, relays, etc. It is just the bulb sockets and ground wires. That fuse is supplied power when the headlight switch is on. You mentioned you pulled the harnesses, cleaned them, and the fuse blew without them even being plugged in. Well if that is the case, then the only 2 items you didn't unhook were the license plate lights, and here's the interesting one, the underhood light. What is special about that light? It has an internal switch that turns it on when you tip the hood open. You said she nailed a big puddle and soaked everything. Either unplug the underhood lamp and see if the fuse stops blowing or go ahead and tear it apart and clean it as well. I haven't pulled mine apart before so I am not sure if it is a mercury switch, a rolling BB switch or what, but if water is in there it can be slightly grounding it out. Not a direct short cause that would instantly pop the fuse, but a ground leak as it is called. The same goes for you too CADDCT. You mentioned everything in the circuit besides the underhood lamp so check yours as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zynder View Post
    The only schematic I have is for a 1992 so maybe this will help. Looking at the schematic, I am assuming you are referring to fuse D11 10A in the trunk fuse block. Past this fuse, there are no kind of electronic control circuits, relays, etc. It is just the bulb sockets and ground wires. That fuse is supplied power when the headlight switch is on. You mentioned you pulled the harnesses, cleaned them, and the fuse blew without them even being plugged in. Well if that is the case, then the only 2 items you didn't unhook were the license plate lights, and here's the interesting one, the underhood light. What is special about that light? It has an internal switch that turns it on when you tip the hood open. You said she nailed a big puddle and soaked everything. Either unplug the underhood lamp and see if the fuse stops blowing or go ahead and tear it apart and clean it as well. I haven't pulled mine apart before so I am not sure if it is a mercury switch, a rolling BB switch or what, but if water is in there it can be slightly grounding it out. Not a direct short cause that would instantly pop the fuse, but a ground leak as it is called. The same goes for you too CADDCT. You mentioned everything in the circuit besides the underhood lamp so check yours as well.
    Zynder, thanks for looking up the schematic.. that greatly narrows down the possibilities as I wasn't sure if there are computers/relays involved. Can you tell if the hood lamp is switched on the negative or positive side?.. I would assume positive side with a constant ground. hmmmm it might even have to do with engine heat soaking that circuit somehow and causing the temporary short? I will tear this apart next and see if anything looks suspicious.

Well
    It was a good idea
    My under hood bulb has been gone for awhile but I unplugged it.
    Took all the all license plate and back up lighting apart unplugged the harness and
    Still no love.
    Back to waiting on my new tool to arrive.
    I think I am going to town tomorrow; Maybe it will be there.

----------

The was very interesting.

Wonder if there is/was a working example of that motor?
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...I-Concept.aspx

Zynder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville 4.9L 230k+ miles

That switch is on the ground side according to the schematic connected to ground G101. That ground is up front on the header panel behind the headlight. On my car there is the window washer jug in that spot so you may have to move it around to get to it. My car is a Seville though so yours may be different. The switch is inside the underhood light housing. Don't know how much you have to take apart to get to it. With the switch on the ground side, what this means is you have 12V sitting on one side of the lamp any time the parking lamp circuit is energized even if you don't want that light on or in your case the lamp is blown. That's why if there is some water in there it can have a chance to leak it to ground. I hate switched grounds because of this. Switching the hot side is safer, imho.

Reverse lamps are not part of that circuit and can be ignored. Ignore the 3rd brake light as well. What you have is the front & rear turn signal lamps, front & rear marker lamps, license plate lamps, & the under hood lamp. The problem is on one of the brown wires. The black ones are all grounds.

That FF310 looks pretty spiffy. It's basically a cable toner set that a cable guy would use adapted for auto work. I like it. Not $190 like it but it should help you track it down. Without it though, you can check each leg of the circuit with a multimeter. You pulled all your pigtails though and the fuse still blew so it sounds to me the main harness got shorted. Ick.

For anyone else though following along:

Remove fuse D11 & all the bulbs I listed above. Turn the parking lamp switch on, set the DMM to VDC and connect the black lead to a body ground. Touch each terminal of the D11 fuse socket. You want to see which side has 12V. Remember it, mark it, whatever and turn off the parking lamp switch. Set the DMM to resistance. With the black lead still on body ground, touch the red probe to the fuse socket terminal that WASN'T the one with 12V. With all the bulbs removed there is not supposed to be any path to ground so the meter should read OL/OR/Infinity (whichever yours shows). If you read zero, then there is a direct short in the harness to ground. Since the fuse doesn't immediately blow though, you will probably read something higher than zero but less than OL. So leave it connected and go around the vehicle and unplug each pigtail harness (the ones you mentioned blew the fuse even when they weren't hooked up) one at a time until the meter reads OL. If you pull the pigtails on the front and rear tail lights (marker lights appear to be on this same pigtail), the license plate, and the underhood light and you still show a ground, then the main harness is shorted. Good luck with that, it runs all under the carpet and dash and engine bay. Chances are though you'll unplug one of those pigtails and the meter will show OL. Move the meter to that pigtail's connector. Black probe on body ground again and touch the red probe to the brown wire's socket. Your short should reappear. This pigtail is defective, either replace it or start taking it apart looking for damaged wires. Usually the damage is on the backside of the connector plugs or bulb sockets themselves. If you get any other readings than what I mentioned, post em and we'll go from there.

I am still having no luck.
    Even swapped the headlight switch.
    looked at the wiring schematic for a minute and it said the license plate lights and under hood light are on the passenger side fuse.
    I am working on the drivers side fuse.
    Guess I will need to spend more time looking at the schematics.
    Maybe the brake light switch?
    I am running out of ideas and the lady of the house is pissed.

I am still searching.
    Thanks for all the support and ideas

The manual says
    Radio control head
    headlight switch
    instrument panel cluster = IPC
    are all on the left fuse = brown wire
    There is supposed to be a Body Main Harness connection under the back seat.
    Guess that is where I am going next.
    This is becoming ridiculous ?

any more updates amunderdog? I haven't resolved the same problem yet either... unplugged the underhood light and it still blew once.. Have you tried Zynder's recommendations above using the meter?

No luck yet ether.
    Been busy keeping the other two current.
    Tried some of Zynder's tips (no luck).
    I have been thru both ends thoroughly (thought several times I found something; only to be wrong).
    Looks like I am going to have to look in the interior; or think of something else.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.