1976 Seville Fuel Injection Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1976 Seville Fuel Injection Problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, I own a 1976 Seville Milan Roadster and have just joined the group. I was wondering if anyone has ...
    djustice10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1976 Seville Fuel Injection Problem

Hello, I own a 1976 Seville Milan Roadster and have just joined the group. I was wondering if anyone has any information on the fuel injection system used on the Olds 350 (1975 1/2 to 1979). Mine is running really rich and I can't find any decent info on the system.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

VicVega is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 1976 Seville Fuel Injection Problem

I'd start by purchasing the Seville manuals from Helm Inc. There are three manuals ($120), one is the EFI diagnostic manuals which is about 70 pages. I have used this with good success more than once. You will also need an good volt ohm meter.

The problem can be the choke, they get sticky, the air temp sensor or the water temp sensor. These were not well designed or well paced on the engine. When working right they do work fairly well.

There are two other areas that you need to check out that affect fuel mixture, lean and rich. The intake manifold easily losses its gasket as does the gasket under the throttle body. The intake gaskest are still available its an Olds gasket. The throttle body gasket is no longer available you will need to cut one from gasket material, takes about an hour to do.

This web site may be of some assistance, its new, but post and see what you get.

http://groups.msn.com/76-77-78-79CadillacSevillesONLY/welcome.msnw

Good luck.

VV

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

I would look at the coolant and manifold air temp sensor. Most common problem on that system. It has a lot of years on it so just replacing both would be considered preventive maintenance at this point. The idle air compensator is also something that doesn't age as well as the rest of the car might but that shouldn't cause any richness in the operation. I would pretty much bet on the coolant or MAT sensor.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks for the quick replies. Now I have some idea where to begin. I was almost ready to go with a carb, but hate the thoughts of modifying the engine. It ran great when I first got it. I'm appreciate the info about those manuals too. Thanks again, VicVega and bbob.

Since parts for this EFI went obsolete in 1985 and became really hard to find within just a few years ($$$) I switched my EFI to a carb. Runs great.

Good luck.

VV

I ordered the books from Helm and got the 76 shop manual and fuel inj. diagnostics both for $40.00. What kind of carb did you go with? Can you use the FI dist. if ECM is disconnected? and what kind of fuel pump. I read where one guy removed the 2nd one on the frame and used the tank pump and a mechanical one. I was wondering about an electric one after in-tank pump that wasn't such a high volume/pressure one. I'm glad you told me about the parts situation. I really appreciate the info. I am in Michigan and only get about 5 months enjoyment out of the car, and pretty much lost last year because of the problem.

I used a Performer RPM and an Edelbrock 1406 650 cfm carb. I used an Accel HEI replacement distributor. Seems to run okay. I'll be posting a "How to" on this procedure in the near future on the SevilleOnly site I mentioned. I used just the in the tank pump, its 4-6 psi, the frame pump is 115 to 125 psi.

VV

Thanks alot VV, I just saw the how-to on the group website. I really appreciate all the information. Nice work on that document. That answered all my questions and then some.

Kerry Lange is offline Cadillac Owners Member

VicVega, could you possibly email me your notes on the carb conversion? I've had my 77 Seville for nine years and although I've heard plenty of rumors about this conversion, nobody seems to have the details. I've given up trying to access MSN Groups for information. I was a member, but changed my email address recently and now cannot access their message board. I have emailed them several times and still cannot access the board even with the information they provided. Thanks.

kplange@shaw.ca

Kerry,

Watch your email, I will send this to you later tonight.

VV

Kerry Lange is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks, VV. That is one informative article!! Much appreciated.

Kerry

TOMMY MILAN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 SEVILLE MILAN CONVERTIBLE

Hey Vic Vega! If you are stillout there, I have a 1979 Seville that needs to be converted from EFI to carb.
    VicVega, could you possibly email me your notes on the carb conversion?
    Appreciate if anyone else who has the these or other insights to send them my way also.

Thanx//tommy milan
    wm1776@hotmail.com

Flash man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Brougham,1991 Brougham 5.7, 1991 Brougham D'Elegance

Hi All,

I know this is an old post. I have a 1978 Seville and I would like to convert the EFI to Carburetor. Not gonna screw around with this inferior fuel injection system. I want a dependable Cadillac. I have a 4v aluminum intake from a 350 Olds engine. I was going to get a 4v Quadrajet carb for the swap. My high pressure pump is shot. I just installed a new low pressure pump in the tank a few weeks ago. What would I need to do to complete the Carburetor swap. I appreciate any info on this subject. Thanks.

Joe

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS - 67,500 miles, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Joe - Take a look at www.allcarbs.com - they're on Long Island and they do some incredible conversions as well as build great QJ's.

cadchris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 91 Bro-Ham, 91 Yello-dorado

Hey Joe,

Check out all the info I posted in this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...dorado-no.html

I'm working on some other info and will post if I get any replies.

Regards,
    chris

18. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.