Are there two thermostats on '97 Eldorado? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Are there two thermostats on '97 Eldorado? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Dude, I knew you would come creepin into this thread preaching your usual snake oil BS. Lemme tell ya something ...
    Zynder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville 4.9L 230k+ miles

Re: Are there two thermostats on '97 Eldorado?

Dude, I knew you would come creepin into this thread preaching your usual snake oil BS. Lemme tell ya something Bubblehead, you don't have to be a dick.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

^It's one thing to flip off Bass or MC, but the Sub? Do I smell a comin' on?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Zynder, It's one thing to post critical opinion and advice - entirely another to post specific insults and inappropriate language. You just earned a one week time out. Please read the Forum Rules and Regulations while you're on vacation........ and clean up the local AFB roads in your off-duty hours.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...rd-others.html

EDIT at 1900 EDT: FWIW, Zynder just established another user account in CF - that account has been permabanned.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zynder
    Dude, I knew you would come creepin into this thread preaching your usual snake oil BS. Lemme tell ya something Bubblehead, you don't have to be a dick.
    I don't understand why you're ticked off. Because sub pointed out that the stock thermostats are extremely reliable, or that you may not know as much about cooling system design as the engineers that work for one of the worlds largest automobile companies?

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    I don't understand why you're ticked off. Because sub pointed out that the stock thermostats are extremely reliable, or that you may not know as much about cooling system design as the engineers that work for one of the worlds largest automobile companies?
    Click his username, find posts - He's still ticked at you for the reply to his first post - part of which says: "Northstars are junk ..........."

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

The nose knowz!
    Sub, I don't think you're a "D". (if it helps)

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

preaching your usual snake oil BS
    Where did that come from? Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by caddywrecker/Zynder
    MC basically called me stupid without saying it but i let it slide.
    My response to your first post? Um, no. I never implied that you were stupid, I implied that you were severely misinformed about the Northstar engine, it's design, and its repair/maintenance requirements.

I knew though when he through out the snake oil thing old Sub would come running.
    And pointing out that after market cooling system parts and modifications are unnecessary and not recommended...is bad how?

He came in, started being all smart and outright insulted me.
    At what point were you insulted outright? If you take being corrected, or other people stating facts and opinions as insults, a public forum may not be the best place to hang out.

I don't take that kindly and when i told him to tone it down he hit me with the ban hammer.
    You don't TELL a moderator, or any other member to do anything, unless you're TELLING them how to diagnose or repair something. The forum has rules. YOU threw the insult, you got banned.

What I find APPALLING is that someone who swore to defend the Constitution would stifle my 1st amendment rights so easily.
    .....I really don't think the founding fathers and/or the government need be involved in this particular instance.

I want an apology
    I'M SORRY you feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by caddywrecker
    I'm not even talking about that first post. Sub pulled that out of his butt. I'm referring to when you said:
    "How these made it into production, and why people buy them, is beyond me."

I had just told you I use them, and then you type stuff like that. That is a passive agressive tone you got going on there but I let it slide.
    If I were being passive aggressive, it would be quite clear. What I typed is what I meant. The product is essentially pointless in my OPINION. You have a different one, you use them... it doesn't matter to me. I don't assume that those with differing opinions think I'm an idiot.

He insulted me by telling me that I am not as smart as the mfr's engineer's
    Well no offense, but you're probably not. ...I'm not an engineer either.

And then does that *quick you need to prove your knowledge to me but you can't cause you don't know what you're talking about* bit
    Well, did you know the answer? Can't improve something you don't fully understand.

Finally I will tell whoever, whatever, whenever I want to tell them something.
    I won't claim to be an old wise man, I'm 25, but that's not how it works. In a forum, or "IRL". Just because you say something, doesn't mean anyone's actually listening. It's a bad attitude, and won't get you any respect, and in this case, got you suspended.

The mods aren't gods and the fact that I am here telling you this now proves it.
    It proves that you know how to make another account. Not all that impressive really.

You can ban my accounts but you can't shut me up.
    Your second account will most likely be deleted tomorrow. You're bound to either get tired of making new ones, or play by the rules.

I'll always be here lurking. I'd rather not do that though. I would like to participate with the community as I was but whenever people come in here and the veteran users wanna insinuate that they are ignorant then it runs us off. I don't get ran off easily. I mean no ill towards any of you, just don't be so insulting when something is said.
    Again, if you post here, you will be corrected, and you will encounter members with different opinions. Nobody's trying to run anyone off, but insults aren't acceptable.

He created the "caddywrecker" account from a different location late last evening: his third account, as the first two - Zynder and Zynder1 - were banned: The first for a week, the second and third permanently. He was requested to read the CF Rules and Guidelines during his timeout (Post #48). He floats the constitutional thing because he's in the USAF or USA (or associated with either).

All of the ins and outs are still in this thread, either in direct posts or in quotes in reply posts.

The week ban for Zynder is due to expire on 06/25 at about 6 PM, central time.

geegeeburr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Geez, looks like all kinds of craziness happened while I was away! Why is it that this engine gets such a love/hate reaction? (I don't think I told you guys this, but the first mechanic I took the car to when I first got it, basically told me to take my POS engine and get out of his lot! Not in those exact words, but that was the gist of it. Then he took pity on me and allowed as how he might be convinced to look at my power steering pump for like 400-500 bucks, if I twisted his arm. SUPER-nice guy.) Oh well, anyhoo. I, for one, fully appreciate all the help here, despite my woeful lack of understanding of engines and cars, in general.

So Ranger, I think you were right that our problem wasn't all the way fixed by bypassing the purge line. Car was still staying cool (ish), but the temp gauge was bouncing around a lot. Husband changed the temp sensing/sending unit, and the gauge stopped bouncing around. Started staying put right above the mid-line. Till yesterday, when I took it up a really steep, tall hill, and then was forced to idle at the top, while a bunch of dumb people took forever trying to park their cars. Anyway, after idling on the hill for a while, car got hot (right below the red zone), and didn't cool back down very fast. I keep fearing head gaskets, but we also have a code-reader now, and it's giving me a P0135 (oxygen sensor) and P0300 (random misfire) code. Could a bad O2 sensor cause overheating, or a random misfire, or are these two unrelated problems? (I know we can manage changing spark plugs, and I think we can do O2 sensors ourselves.)

Your car has its own, built-in code reader/scanner/memory. Use the sticky post just above ^^^ and study the proper car/year group instructions.

An O2 sensor fault will not normally cause overheating. The P 0300 could be anything from fuel injector(s) to spark plugs to spark plug wires to coils to the ICM...... or maybe even an intake air leak.

Engine idled for extended period and the gauge moved toward the red zone - did you check that the cooling fans were running ? Assuming the A/C was ON, the fans should have been running in SLOW.

Diagnostics for the above miss faults are found in Discussions, Item Specific; Cadillac Tech Tips.

You can Google "cadillac forums 1997 eldorado spark plug replacement" - and any of the other faults ^^^, always preceded by "cadillac forums ........".

This thread has gotten off topic so many times and so bad I forgot what it was about, what the symptoms where, what was done and what wasn't.

I know it's overheating.
    Purge line is clear and flows coolant.
    Is it using coolant?
    Was a block test done?

geegeeburr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Thanks, Sub. So that means that in addition to the new problem, we haven't solved the OLD problem. Darn it! Guess I won't be looking into that new career as a mechanic any time soon, huh? No, I didn't think to get out and check the fans this time, but when the temp gauge was bouncing around, we were checking periodically, and the fans were going then. I just pulled over for like 10 minutes, and then started the car to see if the temp dropped, which it did. Wasn't running the a/c, because it was cool out. TY on the list of possibles for the 0300. I know there is a how-to on changing spark plugs on this forum, because I read it last week- I think in the Cadillac Technical archives. I'll have to look up some of the other stuff you said.

Tutorials will be in the Tech Tips section, but I would not worry about plugs or misfires just yet. You have bigger fish to fry first.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.