Are there two thermostats on '97 Eldorado? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Are there two thermostats on '97 Eldorado? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The difference between a 15 & 16 psi cap is miniscule. The hissing you hear when you shut down is ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Are there two thermostats on '97 Eldorado?

The difference between a 15 & 16 psi cap is miniscule.

The hissing you hear when you shut down is probably the A/C system pressures equalizing (assuming you had the A/C on).

Before you replace the purge line you might try disconnecting BOTH ends and blowing it out with compressed air. If the blockage withstands 125-150 psi, surrender and replace it.

geegeeburr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post

May I suggest you get a real GM/Helm service manual set ??? You are in WAY over your head.
    LOL, Submariner, so far over my head I can barely make out the sun! And nope, never removed the beauty cover till the other day, the first time checking the purge line. Prior to this my entire automotive knowledge consisted of knowing how to check oil, brake, transmission, and steering fluids, and knowing how to jump-start (and maybe change) a battery. And being able to identify a carburetor, back when cars had them. Thank you, BTW, for filling me in on the throttle body, and the air intake.

Regarding the black from the purge line, it's not so much oozy or goopy- it's more like specks of a solid- almost like sand.

We do have a compressor, so if we can find a workable attachment, we will try blowing out that line before just replacing it. If we do have to replace the whole line, would we just run it from the hollow bolt straight across the engine under the beauty cover, to the surge tank? I don't really understand why the original line has to take that hairpin path back from the bolt, then under the air intake, then through/under the throttle body, then up and across under the beauty cover, instead of just crossing straight over?

I will look for a way to get a service manual. They seem a little pricey on ebay, but some sites offer downloads for like 13 bucks. Anyone know if any of the downloadable sites are trustworthy?

Thanks you guys!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The circuitous route for the purge line - I would make it as short and straight as possible, consistent with heat and chafe considerations. The present hidden setup is an early attempt at the "Where's the engine ??? It's all plastic in here !!" school of appearance in automotive design.

Because of all those 180's and dips the Devilles suffer from clogged purge lines more often than the Sevilles, but both are susceptible to scale clogging that hollow bolt/hose barb.

Don't download the service manual - use a multiple year subscription to www.alldatadiy.com. It's not only the GM service manual for your specific car (which is updated) but also has all recalls, TSB's, RPO's, DTC's, How-to's, circuit diagrams, torque values, labor times, original parts pricing, and a LOT more.

3-letter acronyms ??? Read through the sticky post just above this - "Acronyms". Matter of fact, read the stickys in each thread of interest - the reason they're there is to keep necessary info in sight.

Here's one for $50 or Best Offer. Offer $25.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Cadilla...65eabd&vxp=mtr

$57 or best offer. Offer $40
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Cadilla...59fbbc&vxp=mtr

$70 or best offer WITH free shipping. Offer $40.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-CADILLA...7c52fb&vxp=mtr

Hi guys!

Okay, we were able to blow out the purge line with the compressor. Or at least we thought we were. When we first blew out the line, we got a good bit of dirty water, and some bigger solid specks. Then we poured water in one end of the line and blew it through, then we did it again from the opposite end. We did this 3 or 4 times, until the water was coming all the way through through basically clear. We figured we were good to go, so we hooked everything back up, and checked for flow at the surge tank, and got nothing. Checked hollow bolt, still getting good fluid flow. So, what does that mean, if we can blow through the line with a compressor, but the car isn't sending fluid through the line? Would it be the water pump, then? (Because we just changed that.) Sorry, not sure what next step should be. The water should be coming out at the surge tank quickly, right? Like within seconds, not minutes? Thanks in advance...

The purge line is a direct bleed off the WP impeller cavity. Anytime the pump is turning there should be some flow (however light it may be). Do you get any flow with increased RPM (you should)? If not, then either the pump is not turning or there is a blockage somewhere. If that's the case, I'd put that shop air to the hollow bolt and see if that clears any blockage farther back maybe. Keep in mind that that will introduce air into the system and will take a little time to purge and stabilize the coolant level.

Thank you, Ranger. I will try blowing into the hollow bolt. I shouldn't try to clean farther in with the drill bit, though? I know everyone said it should go 2.5" to 3" in, and even when I went that far in with the bit, I still felt like it could go further, but was afraid to. I felt resistance, but it didn't feel metallic, and I don't think I had reached the wall of the housing. I was afraid that there might be some sort of membrane in there separating the purge line from the upper radiator hose. (Because they both connect to the same area in that housing, which is like the top portion of the water pump housing.)

Is there any way to tell if the water pump is actually turning? I know that the belt is turning...

EDITED TO ADD: Okay, when I rev the engine, water DOES come out. Not a ton, but some. So maybe it is fine now, and I was just doing it wrong, because I didn't realize you were supposed to rev the engine?

----------

Okay, more good news. We did the block test, and the fluid didn't change color! Now, we're going to take her for a spin and see if she doesn't overheat. OMG, if this works, you guys are total life-savers. I can't even tell you how grateful I have been for all your help.

(Not that I'm done. Now that I have some confidence, I'm gonna see if I can locate and fix a squealing bearing next.)

There is nothing to damage in there. Use a coat hangar and rod it out as far as you can reach.

If the belt is turning, the WP is too.

Remember, the WP is driven off the cam so higher engine RPM means higher WP RPM, therefore greater coolant flow. If you got no flow at idle, maybe you still had some air in the system. It should at least spit a little.

Well, it seems like I have improvement, but not total victory. The car stays cool- just a hair past 12:00- as long as I'm just sort of cruising around. But if sitting in traffic, it starts to creep up- up to 1:00, or even 1:30. If just parked and idling, it goes up, too. Once today parked and idling, it went up to almost 2:00 position pretty rapidly, in just a couple minutes, I'd say. But then, if the engine is revved up to about 2500 rmp, it quickly drops right back to around 12:00. So from reading through this forum it looks like my next step (after going back at that hollow bolt one more time) should be to check the water pump belt and tensioner, right? Which is okay, I think we already had that on the to-do list from before... I also see posts that say maybe something with the fans, but the fans do come on. I'm not sure at what exact temperature, but they were definitely running when gauge was at 1:00.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

This may have been covered in here already, but do you thoroughly understand the operation of the cooling fans under different conditions - and how that operation affects what your temperature gauge does ???

............... With no A/C function set it is perfectly normal to see the temp creep up in heavy traffic or sitting at extended idle. Fans don't even go to SLOW until 224 degrees ................ then fans come on, the temp drops to 213, fans shut off and the cycle starts over.

Look at the annotated temp gauge picture in my albums.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Also the correct cap for a '97 vehicle is 15 PSI.

It is possible that you still have some air in the system. It should be all bled out after a drive or two. It's also possible that you have one that is not quite as dampened as most (mine never moves off the 12:00 position). 1:00 is a tad warm. 2:00 is worrisome.
    Attached Images

Thanks, guys! Hmm, okay, so maybe we have fixed the problem then. Maybe I'm just worrying about the temp gauge reflexively, because I've been so focused on it since the overheating problem began. I don't remember the gauge being so volatile prior to this, but maybe it was and I just wasn't noticing. Fingers crossed, anyway! We got nothin' but stop-and-go traffic out here, so we'll find out soon enough.

You guys rock! Have a great day!

Good morning, everyone!

Just an update on our Eldorado fix. After thoroughly cleaning out that purge line, and going back at the hollow bolt again, I thought we had it fixed, but maybe 10 minutes into a longer test-drive, the temp shot up again, REALLY hot this time, and I noticed the upper radiator hose was puffed out around the pipe at the water pump crossover. We limped home, kept stopping to let it cool down, and adding water, and yesterday morning, I did the purge line bypass with the fuel hose. (and fixed the radiator hose.) OMG, what a difference! It was so insanely easy, and it has made a 100% difference in how the car runs. The temp is doing exactly what it's supposed to do, and it seems to have fixed a problem that we didn't even think was related to the purge line. We had a high-pitched squeal that everyone and their brother said HAD to be coming from a bearing. (Finding the bad bearing was going to be the next project.) But ever since bypassing the blocked purge line, that squeal is totally gone. Fingers crossed, I'm going to try taking it out on the freeway today. I'm so excited to have actually fixed something on a car! (I've never been a car person, but this whole process has been sort of fun in a weird way.) So thank you all very much!

Now, after I get the repair manual, I might try to fix a power steering problem we've been having, which is supposedly a common problem, that can be fixed by changing the power steering inlet assembly. (I think that was what it is called.) Just have to find a diagram so I can figure out which one is the power steering pump. I think it's one of the things attached to the serpentine belt...

Hmm, I'm not 100% convinced that you solved your problem..............yet, simply because you said that you blew out the purge line and cleared it. Time will tell. Fingers crossed for you.

The P/S pump is the uppermost pulley with the 3 holes in it. You'll need a P/S pulley puller to remove it. DO NOT use a 3 jaw gear puller. There are several versions.
    Attached Images
    vincentm and vincentm like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.