98-04 SLS/STS AIR pump replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 98-04 SLS/STS AIR pump replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi everyone, I hope my questions haven't been repeated in the recent past. I dug around a bit and didn't ...
    scott1643 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville SLS (Crimson Pearl/Neutral Shale)

98-04 SLS/STS AIR pump replacement

Hi everyone,

I hope my questions haven't been repeated in the recent past. I dug around a bit and didn't really find anything I'm looking for, so here I am.

I have a few questions about my car. It's a 2001 Seville SLS, and I have a bad smog (secondary air injection) pump. I'd like to replace it myself, and would like to know if there is any hidden problems while removing the old one, and then replacing with a new one. I have a service manual to my car, and it only calls for disconnecting the electrical cable, remove the inlet/outlet hoses, and unbolt the pump and its out.

This will be my first attempt at such an issue, and I don't want to dig too deep before I ask you guys first.

Is it as simple as the manual instructions say? Will there have to be any sort of reset with the computer once the electrical connector is disconnected? Will I see any codes on the DIC once the new pump is installed? Do either of the hoses need to be replaced when doing the pump, or can I simply "out with the old, in with the new" with the pumps and leave the old hoses? They all look to be in excellent condition with no signs of wear, cracks, etc...

Lastly, there are 3 small nuts on the top of the pump in a triangular pattern. Are they the nuts that need to come off to remove the old pump, or are there separate mounting bolts? If so, how many are there and where do I locate them?

If you guys need me to provide any other info, let me know and I'll be sure to do so.

Thank you VERY much to everyone for your help!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 98-04 Seville SLS/STS smog pump replacement

No resets, no hidden problems - make sure you replace the inner fenderwell liner (extra plastic 'pop rivets" on the Help! racks at parts stores) The new design AIR pump has an intake tube that should snake up into the engine compartment and get wire-tied - no real need to hack into the engine air intake duct.

Ranger did one a short while ago - he may have further insight.

Maybe some AIR pump diagrams in my albums - the Community tab ^^^, Albums, the red Seville.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The new pump will come with a new cover, and redesigned intake hose.

One of the mounting bolts is a bit hard to see and get to, but you'll be able to see where it is by the hole in the new pump.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

There are 2 mounting bolts (#13) No need to remove them, just loosen them as the pump hangs on them, but as I recall, looking at it through the wheel well (as pictured above) there is a hidden mounting bolt (#11) in the rear that I had to use an extension and a universal joint and the Braille method.

EDIT:
    In looking at this diagram maybe you can get away without removing #11. When I did mine I was unaware that the pump was hung on the #13's and I removed them along with #11. #11 might just be for the bracket and I may have gone further than I had to.

#11 has to be removed so that the pump can lift off of the bracket. There are 2 nuts like #15, they pull #13 (and another like it) tight against the bracket once #11 is in. DON'T tighten the two nuts before #11 is in.

It's a weird design.

I was pretty sure I had pulled that miserable PITA #11 SOB for a reason.

Getting it back in was the PITA part for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Getting it back in was the PITA part for me.
    Thank you to everyone who has responded so far! Every little bit of info/advice really does help!

To those who found the bolts to be a headache, I was thinking about removing the black plastic housing that holds the air filter element for easier access to the pump. It appears to have 2 torx heads under the hood (to gain access to the filter) and one down behind the fenderwell panel) Its pretty big, and I think that by removing it will completely expose the pump. Any ideas on that? It's an extra step, but if it were to make those pump bolts easier to get to, it may be worth it, just as long as the housing isn't as big a task as the pump itself!

I never really looked down specifically at the pump while the air box was out, but I'm not sure it would make the 3rd bolt any more accessible. The PCM is in the air box (for cooling purposes), so if you do take the box out, be careful of the wiring, and don't let it fall.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    I never really looked down specifically at the pump while the air box was out, but I'm not sure it would make the 3rd bolt any more accessible. The PCM is in the air box (for cooling purposes), so if you do take the box out, be careful of the wiring, and don't let it fall.
    Thanks for that info on the PCM, Moist. I guess it wouldn't make too much sense to remove the air box if the bolts to the pump are on the back side, while the air box is more towards the front side of the pump. It would probably only make it easier visually moreso than making it easier to gain access to those bolts.

I forgot to ask,

A couple of you guys early on in the thread mentioned the new pump comes with a redesigned air intake hose. How do I go by installing that? Does the original thats on my car have to be removed? If so, how? Is it something as simple as plug n' play, or am I getting surgical with it?

I assume the outlet hose remains the same and can just use the old one?

I apologize for all the questions, but as I've mentioned, this is all new to me getting involved with this pump. If it gets to be too much to handle I may just have to pay out some bucks and have someone do it for me.

The new hose is a different shape, and gets installed differently. The purpose is to keep the pump from ingesting water. You will have to remove the old hose. The new pump will come with a small paper with the TSB on installing the new hose. Basically, it just needs to end up on the front crossmember, to the left of the radiator, inlet pointing downward. The drivers side headlight has to be removed to route the hose.

I never had to remove the headlight or go near it. All I had to do was remove the old intake hose, put the new one on and reroute the new one up top and snap it into an existing oblong hole. The outlet hose doesn't get changed. If you can change the pump, the new intake hose will be a piece of cake and what you need to do will become very apparent when you see it and the instructions.

The routing of the new hose is a bit different in the Seville, it doesn't have the oval opening to clip into. A diagram is included with the TSB, and I also had the dealer print me up a full size version, and asked one of the techs. It looks like it's routed oddly/jury rigged when it's done, but that's how GM wants it.

What would happen if I were to just disconnect the electrical cable? Would I get a code or a check engine light? It's pretty obvious I'm running out of options, especially when I read that the headlight housing needs to be removed to do the intake hose.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.