98-04 SLS/STS AIR pump replacement - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 98-04 SLS/STS AIR pump replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Unplugging the pump would do absolutely nothing. Taking the headlight out is no big deal. Before you start, tuck a ...
    MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Unplugging the pump would do absolutely nothing.

Taking the headlight out is no big deal.

Before you start, tuck a towel or two between the headlight and bumper to avoid scratching the paint. There's a plastic panel over the headlights and radiator, held on with several plastic push rivets. The only slight trick to removing it is to move the upper radiator hose out of it's channel built into the plastic panel. Once it's off, each headlight is held in with 2 bolts. Once they're removed, the headlight pulls out. However, on the outside corner of each light, is a ball and socket retainer, that may be very tight if it's the first time the headlight is being removed, so you may need to give it a good tug, while keeping the headlight pointing straight ahead.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 98-04 Seville SLS/STS smog pump replacement

Quote Originally Posted by scott1643 View Post
    What would happen if I were to just disconnect the electrical cable? Would I get a code or a check engine light?
    Yes. There seems to be no way to bypass or disable it without setting a DTC and tripping the MIL. I looked into that.

scott1643 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville SLS (Crimson Pearl/Neutral Shale)

Hi guys,

Just wanted to update everyone and let you all know that the new pump is installed. I wanted to thank everyone in here for all of your advice, input, and recommendations. It really did come in handy.

I also want to say to anyone who may be attempting to do a smog pump on their Seville in the future that removing the air duct that is mounted to the left of the pump does indeed help with getting your hands around the pump to get to the mounting bolts. Its not a huge difference, but the duct is only held in place by 2 tabs. Its well worth removing it, in my opinion. Note---the air duct doesn't have anything to do with the smog pump and don't affect the pump in any way...the duct I'm referring to is for the air intake to the engine.

I will say that routing the new air inlet hose took more time than removing the old pump and installing the new one!! It was a matter of fishing it up behind the headlight housing area, even with the headlight removed. It gets tight back there and requires a little patience.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    It's a little bit easier to route the intake hose if you remove the filter from the end of it.

funnyguyMI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by scott1643 View Post
    I also want to say to anyone who may be attempting to do a smog pump on their Seville in the future that removing the air duct that is mounted to the left of the pump does indeed help with getting your hands around the pump to get to the mounting bolts. Its not a huge difference, but the duct is only held in place by 2 tabs. Its well worth removing it, in my opinion. Note---the air duct doesn't have anything to do with the smog pump and don't affect the pump in any way...the duct I'm referring to is for the air intake to the engine.
    Just did this last night and removing the air duct helped a ton with getting that #11 bolt out, IMO.

I also dropped the front air dam a bit on the drivers side to get at the #15 nuts.

Now on to the EBCM!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.