Petcock, What Petcock? 1995 STS radiator drain
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Petcock, What Petcock? 1995 STS radiator drain in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Am I working on the same car you guys are talking about? I say that as a joke mind you. ...
    TMS
    TMS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Seville STS

Petcock, What Petcock? 1995 STS radiator drain

Am I working on the same car you guys are talking about? I say that as a joke mind you.

I've been under this damn car for over an hour, have the lower covers off, top cover and there is no way I can see I can get to the petcock. In the photo below, the green arrow appears to be a drain, the yellow arrow is pointing to the ONLY access point where I can barely get a fingertip on the petcock, a plastic bar like valve. There is no way I can turn it, it's impossible to reach from the top, and is surrounded by solid metal, I am totally stumped. Should I try to work a needle-nosed pliers through to turn the petcock? It's been REALLY frustrating and I'm about to call it a day and take the damn thing to the Caddy dealer and pay the $150.00 to flush the radiator.

Sorry to vent, you guys have been more helpful than I could expect and I appreciate it, maybe I'm just a bonehead and can't see the forest for the trees. ANY suggestions will be most welcome.

This is the bottom of the car, the radiator is behind the red frame. I MIGHT be able to snake a pliers through from the engine side...maybe.

petcock2.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

9302Eldug is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 and 02 Eldorado

Re: Petcock, What Petcock? Help...

Much easier to remove the radiator hose. Wife's car had a broken petcock, a $5 item but the radiator had to be removed to replace it. I decided to replace the radiator with a new one so now I guess that I have a spare radiator! A whole lot of GM vehicles have this acess problem.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Petcock, What Petcock? Help...

We usually make a long-handled tool to twist the petcock - the crossbar doesn't come all the way out - it opens and drips coolant all over everything.

AHA !!!! Your petcock sits on the side of the end tank - later models have the petcock in the bottom of the end tank - right in that (yellow arrow) hole.

.............. Take it to a GM dealer ....................

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Petcock, What Petcock? 1995 STS radiator drain

Get a piece of 3/4" dowel rod and cut a slot in the end of it. Makes a great tool for this, even on the newer cars. My wooden one broke so I make one out of aluminum conduit with a steel plug in the end to accommodate the slot.

Are you SURE that's you petcock down on the bottom. This diagram shows it on the side.

TMS

Thanks for the quick responses guys, I really appreciate it.

Eldug - man, I can't even get to the lower radiator hose, just too tight in there, can ALMOST get to the clamp but thanks.

Sub - Oh that's depressing, I am disappoint... But thank you. I suppose you're right, besides, the last thing I need is to break the petcock and then have to have it towed to a dealer. I guess the bright side is I kept the receipt for the 50/50 DexCool I bought so I can take it back.

Ranger - Thanks, didn't see your reply, I might give that a whirl before giving up totally, appreciate the help.

9302Eldug is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 and 02 Eldorado

Not sure about STS, but I forgot to mention remove the air filter first on Eldorado. Also buying 50/50 anti freeze is a waste of money, You are paying a premium price for water! Get full strength Dexcool and a couple gallons of distilled water from the grocery store.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    On my eldo i drop the baffle and get it from the top

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

On my Deville you can get to it from the top and it's not the normal drain cock, it's bigger and built into the back of the rad tank. It should be pretty similar to your STS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Get a piece of 3/4" dowel rod and cut a slot in the end of it. Makes a great tool for this, even on the newer cars. My wooden one broke so I make one out of aluminum conduit with a steel plug in the end to accommodate the slot.
    Here is the new improved version.
    Attached Images

TMS

UPDATE - I managed to get a flathead screwdriver up against the petcock. Ranger, yes it is on the side like in the diagram, sorry the photo gives a bad impression that it is on the bottom. When I turned it counter clockwise, coolant began to drain from the well, drain, in the bottom (Green arrow in photo) but was coming out so slow it would have been all day. Strange part is, it would only drain as long as I held pressure on the petcock, in EITHER direction. After about twenty minutes I only got about a half a quart out. Decided to call it a day, put the 1/2 quart back in and all seems well, no drips or leaks, is that the normal thing for these petcocks, to drain either way?

Regardless, I skipped on to putting in the new plugs and that was about the easiest set of plugs I've changed ever. Do have some questions but I'll post those with some pictures of the plugs in another thread later. Thanks all for your help and understanding.

After you turn the petcock to get some coolant flow, pull it out to fully open valve. It may not come completely out so don't force it, but flow should increase greatly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.