engine worth repairing? 1990 seville - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, engine worth repairing? 1990 seville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Sometimes the parts you get at the local auto parts store wind up leaving a lot to be desired. It's ...
    kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Sometimes the parts you get at the local auto parts store wind up leaving a lot to be desired. It's generally better to pay the difference and get a GOOD part from a dealer or some other source of factory parts. I most always try to keep my car O.E.M. the only exceptions being Tires, Batteries, Brake pads and the like. But for actual hard parts I stay with Genuine G.M. parts!

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    I'm glad you "got off easy". It is hard to diagnose bearing knocks on these new aluminum engines. Obviously the knock was just a noise made by the pump?
    BTW, if you ever want to know which cylinder is knocking, just pull plug wires off one at a time until you find one that stops or reduces the knock when off. That will be the bad cylinder.

ckucia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I do all of my own mechanical work on my cars, and I enthusiastically agree with kcnewell. It isn't worth the hassle of using non-oem parts.

Do a little research online. Turns out OEM parts aren't all that much more expensive. www.partsamerica.com carries some, as does www.rockauto.com. There are also online GM dealers www.gmpartsdirect.com and www.gmpartsdealer.com (among others). You may have to wait a day or two, but if you plan your maintenance, you can use all oem and spend about as much as the local parts discounter.

I've had bad parts from the local place. Sure, they replaced them free of charge, but it cost me all that wasted time putting it in and taking it back out. One experience like that makes the discount not seem so important - I had it happen on a power steering rack and that's no fun to do twice.

This is especially true on a Cadillac, where sometimes parts from other GM divisions "look" like they "fit", but they aren't exactly the same.

Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    there are also differences in parts store quality among different chains. I won't buy Autozone because they carry the poorer made parts while others like Advance seem to cary parts made by people I know of.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    Fortunately, I havent had the opportunity to go buy parts for my cars, but i am sure the day is coming!!!!

lol it will, it wil,l be patient

this is one of those experiences i hope i dont have to experience.

its all part of the car ownership "experience"

or you can just get rid of cars before the warranty is up like me!!!! With the exception of the fleetwood.

lol thats cheating

Its not cheating, it is making the rules work for you! Or using the system to your advantage.

how much of a hit do you take in depreciation though?

The GTP is a lease, and the tahoe isnt too bad. I had one before, and I usually end up oweing like 10k, not bad for 4 years of service. They usually give more if there is warranty left on it. And the fleetwood, besides the fact that it is my favorite car, it is going to be more worthwhile to keep it than sell it, since i could only get about 12k out of it anyway, and it is perfect in every way, the only way it could be better is if i prepped it for car shows, and it isnt ready for that.

Thats how I figured you did it with 3 cars. me I cant see ever getting rid of a car. if I buy it Im going to keep it if I want something new I'll buy another.

1 lease is good, cuz then you have something to beat when you have rage to get out. The tahoe i need because i live in indiana, and the roads arent always perfect . And the fleetwood, you have to have the baby!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.