AC liquid line filter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, AC liquid line filter in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Converted my 93 seville to r134 but didn't flush the condenser as has been recommended. (read that after I completed ...
    gallivan7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Cad Seville w/4.9L

AC liquid line filter

Converted my 93 seville to r134 but didn't flush the condenser as has been recommended. (read that after I completed the job) after 3 replacements of the orifice tube it seems to be mostly clean, but I would like to install a liquid line filter anyway. can get a flared connection type filter dryer from an industrial supplier for $10, but worried about being able to flare the aluminum tubing of the high side line. Auotacreapairs.com has a compression fitting filter for $60, but it is awfully small, yet cleanable.

any thoughts or suggestions?.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: AC liquid line filter

the in-line filter is designed to trap metal particles from a blown compressor -
    your biggest problem is the two different oil types are NOT compatable -
    so an in-line filter won't help anything in your case -

2kflhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade, '97 Eldorado ETC (Z), '97 SS Camaro

Sounds like the system needs flushing.

No oil left from the r12, and ester oil is somewhat compatible with mineral oil. what I really what to filter is debris.

----------

a further note. my previous compressor was BLOWN! the first orifice I replaced had a chunk in it that completely blocked the tube. We are down to fine particles at this point. The compressor was replaced, also the accumulator, so as a security measure I want to add a filter BEFORE the orifice.

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Here's a filter designed for auto ac work: http://www.ackits.com/c/inlinefilter...e+Filters.html

If the compressor did blow debris around the system, you're better off replacing that condenser. Not sure exactly which style was used in '93, but I think it was at least a piccolo, maybe a parallel flow. Can't really flush those out, the tubes are too small.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by gallivan7 View Post
    No oil left from the r12, and ester oil is somewhat compatible with mineral oil. what I really what to filter is debris.

----------

a further note. my previous compressor was BLOWN! the first orifice I replaced had a chunk in it that completely blocked the tube. We are down to fine particles at this point. The compressor was replaced, also the accumulator, so as a security measure I want to add a filter BEFORE the orifice.
    You do not need a filter. You need to flush the system. It should have been done before installing the new components, PARTICULARLY since you had debris in the system from the previous compressor. Gotta ask yourself, how many times do I want to evacuate the system to change a clogged filter, vacuum it down and recharge it? A filter would be like a band aid when stitches are needed.

And as Mhamilton mentioned, you should be replacing the condenser and the accumulator as those components can't be flushed.

thanks to mhamilton for the link. going to check my ac delco dealer locally, or order from them.
    and this car survives on band aids, anything that keeps it going till its final death without spending a bunch of money is the what it gets.
    245,000 miles with many faults, but I still love it, my wife says way too much.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Ahh, that puts it in a whole different light.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.