01 SLS A/C problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 01 SLS A/C problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i have a 2001 Cadillac Seville SLS ac blows cold everywhere except driver and passenger middle (main vents through the ...
    phillyphan08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 dts 01 sls 05 deville

01 SLS A/C problem

i have a 2001 Cadillac Seville SLS ac blows cold everywhere except driver and passenger middle (main vents through the dash). I get cold ac out of the top towards the glass, bottom at my feet and even in the back. I figured it something electrical that needs replaced possibly Auxiliary Mode Valve Actuator on the side of the center console can someone confirm that before i buy and expensive piece i don't need.

Thanks Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 01 SLS A/C problem

Your car has its own built-in diagnostic trouble code scanner/memory. Study the proper year group procedure in the sticky just above this thread - "How to pull codes". Practice, write down all codes as well as any suffixes - Current or History. Return to the sticky or use this link to decipher any P,B,C, or U codes found. Code prefixes ??? - The 3 other small links with C, B, and U in the addresses. Write it all down and post it all here.

In your 2001 you use the 3 DIC control buttons - ^/v , INFO RESET, and ON/OFF - to control the message readouts. It's in the instructions ^^^.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

So the drivers side and passengers side dash vent work properly, but the two middle vents supply air, but it is not cold?

none of the vents on the dash blow (i was referring to middle as top,middle bottom vents) anything out i replaced the actuator on the center console and it'll work when the car first starts than turns off after like 10 seconds of blowing and its not throwing any codes

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by phillyphan08 View Post
    none of the vents on the dash blow (i was referring to middle as top,middle bottom vents) anything out i replaced the actuator on the center console and it'll work when the car first starts than turns off after like 10 seconds of blowing and its not throwing any codes
    -----------------
    OK - if I understand you correctly -
    you get proper air flow from the floor - HEAT POSITION -
    and upper - DEFROST - position -

but when you select the center vent position -
    or the bi-level position -
    you get absolutely no air flow from any of the center vents -
    --------------

the MODE DOOR ACTUATOR controls where the air blows from -

try this -
    with the fan set to a low speed -
    and the AC button turned off -

try changing the MODE
    from defrost to heat several - like 10+ times - SLOWLY -

you need to listen for the doors to move - and feel the airflow change -
    this will verify that the MODE ACTUATOR is working properly -
    and all of the various mode doors work properly -

it is possible that the center vent door is just stuck closed -

the other possibility is that the connecting link
    for the center vents fell off or is broken at the actuator -

if you remove the glove box - and a couple hush panels -
    you can see all this stuff move under the dash -

Ranger posted a parts blow-up on #9 of this thread - that might be helpful -
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-hot-cold.html

Sure sounds like a mode door actuator to me.

alright i finally got to play with it when the cars cold and i first start it up with the ac on it blows through the vents in the dash but when the car warms a little the vents stop blowing there for some reason. i tried putting the fan on low with the ac off and going through the modes and i dont think i hear the doors opening, the defroster stays on in all the modes no matter what, but the vent dash ones never come back on. when the car is off it will blow through the vents in the dash so when the compressor comes on is when i think it stops blowing what would this be? its not the hv a/c door actuator changed it same results

MIGHTY strange -

just to clarify -

when I suggested to turn the AC off -
    I was referring to the button that prevents the AC compressor from running -
    NOT turn the climate control system off -

with the engine running -

and the fan on a low speed so you can feel air flow -
    but still hear the various doors move -

the actual temperature setting shouldn't matter -
    but set it to 70*

manually select the floor - heater - vent -

does the air blow from the floor vents ONLY?
    actually - when you select the floor vents -
    you get about 90% floor - and 10% defrost -

now - select the center vents -
    do you hear the various mode doors moving -
    and does the air flow move from the floor -
    to the center vents -

then select the defrost vents -
    again - listen for the various mode doors to move -
    then feel for air flow at the defroster -

what happens -

did you ever check for codes?

blancaclaudia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS w/ F55

Several days ago I posted exactly the same symptoms on my 2002 STS. In my case, there were no codes. But when asked whether I wanted to clear all codes, I answered "yes". The computer is recalculating my average gas mileage, but otherwise no changes.

I tried everything suggested by MC and can hear various doors opening and closing. I couldn't get anything to come out of the dash vents, other than at start-up. Fortunately, I could keep the car cool enough by turning the A/C fan on high, turning the fan on the rear console on high and having the air come through the defrost.

Here's the interesting part. Tonight, my wife and I took the STS on an errand and the outside temp was still 100+. I assured her that the A/C worked good enough to keep us cool. Actually, the A/C worked PERFECTLY for the entire errand (30+ minutes) with the air coming out of the dash vents, etc.

Of course, my wife claims the A/C worked perfectly because SHE was riding in the car, but does anyone have any other possible explanation? (Otherwise, my wife may consider a career change and become an A/C fix-it MEDIUM!).

Quote Originally Posted by blancaclaudia View Post
    Several days ago I posted exactly the same symptoms on my 2002 STS. In my case, there were no codes. But when asked whether I wanted to clear all codes, I answered "yes". The computer is recalculating my average gas mileage, but otherwise no changes.

I tried everything suggested by MC and can hear various doors opening and closing. I couldn't get anything to come out of the dash vents, other than at start-up. Fortunately, I could keep the car cool enough by turning the A/C fan on high, turning the fan on the rear console on high and having the air come through the defrost.

Here's the interesting part. Tonight, my wife and I took the STS on an errand and the outside temp was still 100+. I assured her that the A/C worked good enough to keep us cool. Actually, the A/C worked PERFECTLY for the entire errand (30+ minutes) with the air coming out of the dash vents, etc.

Of course, my wife claims the A/C worked perfectly because SHE was riding in the car, but does anyone have any other possible explanation? (Otherwise, my wife may consider a career change and become an A/C fix-it MEDIUM!).
    ---------------------
    one thing you could try -
    disconnect BOTH battery cables at the battery -
    and hold them together for at least one full minute -

what this sometime does is erase and reset the "memory"
    of the various AC control modules -

they all work on a 0 to 255 scale -
    that is how they know exactly where they were/are -
    and how to return back to that exact setting -

I'm not sure the cables need to be held together for any length of time. I could be wrong, but I always thought all they needed was to be touched. Either way, it can't hurt and is worth a try.

el_dorado_mex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 El Dorado and 1991 Cheyenne Pickup

here is one more idea:

don't know exactly about the 2001, but defrost position is the default position for vacuum operated hvac system, as far as i consider. if there's a lack of vacuum force it'll move that way. if yours is vacuum operated then you might want to check for vacuum presence in the system, meaning on one hand to unplug the vacuum hose going through the firewall and pump it up with a manual vacuum pump and see ift it stays steady (no leaks) and on the other hand if there is any with the engine on (at the moment it would only blow to the windshield), checking the side of the hose that comes from the engine for vacuum. that way you'll see if the vacuum stuff is working correctly, maybe the check valve (small round gray/black thingy, mostly) is gone, not letting enough air flow through it...

just an idea from my side, assuming that your system operates that way...

The '01 Sevilles are electronically operated.
    el_dorado_mex likes this.

blancaclaudia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS w/ F55

Thanks to both Ranger and Basscat for the suggestion to undo te battery cables and touch them together to erase the memory.

Unfortunately, in my case, it didn't change anything. At start-up, the cold air comes out the dash vents for about 30 secs to 1 minute and then doors move and the cold air comes out the defrost and floor vents. Using the dash switch to change the where the air comes out opens doors, etc. but the air never comes out the dash vents after that initial start-up.

However, the A/C puts out enough cold air so the car stays cool enough even in the hottest weather (106
    today).

I'm just not convinced that the actuator motor is bad; its more like the computer is speaking to the actuator motor with a "forked tongue" and telling the actuator motor to close the mode door after a minute or so.

If I unplug the actuator motor while the air is coming out through the dash vents and just leave it unplugged:
    1) Wiil air (heat or A/C) come through those vents all of the time?
    2) Would that cause a dash error message? If so, will a resister across the plug removed from the actuator
    fool the computer and remove the dash message?

Any other thoughts? Thanks.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I'm not sure the cables need to be held together for any length of time....I always thought all they needed was to be touched.
    That is 100% absolutely correct.

The mathematical expression for capacitor charge OR discharge time is T = RC.
    Time = Resistance times Capacitance.

When the disconnected battery cables are touched together, the capacitor(s) discharge path Resistance = 0.
    Therefore, Time = 0.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.