New to me 02 STS w/ 74k
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New to me 02 STS w/ 74k in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey all, I just bought a near pristine 02 STS with 74k for $4.5k. The one thing it doesn't have ...
    cmpcpro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville STS

New to me 02 STS w/ 74k

Hey all, I just bought a near pristine 02 STS with 74k for $4.5k. The one thing it doesn't have that I want is navigation. I have just put a new Pioneer 140BH in my Touareg and I love it.. I am wondering if it's worth going with one of those in here, though I am not sure how nice it will look, or how good the dash kits are for this car, but I am wondering if I should just buy an OEM one, however I have no idea what else I would need. The two things I use most in my Touareg are bluetooth and SiriusXM, which I would love to have in this car if possible.

Any info would be great!

Thanks,

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

The newest update disk for the OEM navigation is from '09. I'd suggest using a stand alone or after market unit.

If you do go after market, you'll need the correct integration module (the stock HU is part if the anti theft system, and serial data bus), and a competent shop.

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: New to me 02 STS w/ 74k

Know that the original HU is part of your car's serial data bus and TheftLock system.

You would not be the first to open a Pandora's Box by fooling with the factory sound system. It can be done - but why go to an obsolete NAV when a $229 Garmin is faster, more accurate, and has updates twice a year - which GM does not.

If your OnStar has never been upgraded (GM dealer only) you're already behind the power curve.

(MC punched SEND at the same time as this post ......)

$4,500 ???? Stay tuned, folks. Dealer lot price on this car in Excellent condition is $7,730 - Private Party is $6,200 (and that's on the low side). Does the car have a new radiator, water pump belt, or thermostat ?????? The car originally sold for about $58,000 out the door. THAT is the level at which your maintenance costs will fall.
    ted tcb and ted tcb like this.

I dont understand, is 4500 not good? The car was from orig. owner, both keys and fobs look brand new, interior is great. Brand new Dunlop tires, brand new motor mount he said was about $500 itself and all maint besides oil (Every 3k Mobil1) is done at dealer

Also it came with factory Xenons I really liked that..

----------

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post

The newest update disk for the OEM navigation is from '09. I'd suggest using a stand alone or after market unit.

If you do go after market, you'll need the correct integration module (the stock HU is part if the anti theft system, and serial data bus), and a competent shop.
    Thanks, so I'll need to buy an integration module? Is this from PAC or similar or from GM? Do I still need it if I buy an OEM nav? Will this module keep my Onstar working? Also, on another note, as stated above, how do I know if my Onstar has been upgraded?

Thanks guys!!

If the car is in truly Excellent condition you stole it.

The quickest way to tell if your OnStar is the new digital system is to look at the antenna stub on the rear window. The old analog system had the loading coil (fat rubber) in about the middle of the stub. The new digital antenna has the loading coil at the bottom third of the stub.

You press the OnStar white dot on the mirror and talk to a rep - for subscription info and to purchase blocks of handsfree phone minutes.

Xenons - or HID ?

EDIT: Learn about the OLM and why an oil/filter change every 3,000 miles is throwing away good money. Nothing wrong with Mobil 1. Read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive up in the top black bar ^^^.

OnStar is totally different from NAV.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Not everyone sells their car for retail. Some folks actually sell them for less and they have no hidden issues. Getting a car for 1/3 less than retail is nice but it makes you wonder if seller is hiding something.
    bwv565 and bwv565 like this.

The seller was buying a brand new Caddy and needed $4500 more for a down, he wouldn't take a penny less, and trust me, I tried, for quite some time. I have been in the car business since I was a kid, the family business, and I can tell when I have a good seller, and this guy was genuine. When I asked about things I knew were a "no" he was honest. I have many ways to tell what kind of person I am dealing with. I felt good with him and the car.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Prices vary by region. Around here, the cars are worth (read: SELLING FOR, not ASKING) nowhere near what Sub claims. $4500 is the average price for average condition around here. $6k max MAYBE, when the car is an exceptional example, $2500 when a turd. You're getting bent over pretty good if you pay anything north of $6k. There are always a few listed for prices up there, but they don't sell - so they're irrelevant. May not be true elsewhere, however...That said, it's impossible to gauge condition based on price. $4500 might get you a decent car in your area. In the end, if you want to know the true value of your car today, and want to minimize your risk, ask your insurance agent what their actual cash value on the car is, because in the real world, it's worth no more or less than that.

bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Ford Mustang, 2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    The quickest way to tell if your OnStar is the new digital system is to look at the antenna stub on the rear window. The old analog system had the loading coil (fat rubber) in about the middle of the stub. The new digital antenna has the loading coil at the bottom third of the stub.
    On my 03 STS the car had analog and when I phoned OnStar support they said that digital was not yet available for that model year. I had it upgraded to digital (you have to pay up front for one year then the dealership only charges $15 for the installation). I find it worthwhile. The call quality is outstanding and it's completely hands-free (since there was no BT available when these cars were new).

blancaclaudia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS w/ F55

If you really want to spoil your day, obtain a "wholesale" value for your car in the real world by taking your car to a volume used car dealer or new car dealer who does a good business in high end cars and ask for a quote to just buy your car straight out not trading it in, etc.

Before everyone screams that their car is worth much more than that (probably $3- $4K), I absolutely agree; but to receive much more than either wholesale or ACV presently means that a buyer must perceive the value to be much higher and also have the ability to execute the purchase.

If you need to state the long-term rationale to your spouse or significant other, explain that the car is an "illiquid" asset presently. But, as time goes on, attrition will reduce the supply and at some point, the collector car market will recognize the unique qualities of these cars. It that point, the cars will become "collectible" and the value will increase. This happens to be true, but good luck convincing.

In the meantime, just hold your nose, write the checks and maintain and enjoy these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by bwv565 View Post
    On my 03 STS the car had analog and when I phoned OnStar support they said that digital was not yet available for that model year. I had it upgraded to digital (you have to pay up front for one year then the dealership only charges $15 for the installation). I find it worthwhile. The call quality is outstanding and it's completely hands-free (since there was no BT available when these cars were new).
    If we are talking about the OP's car and the 2002 model year your dealer is, once again, incorrect. My 2002 STS (build 02/02) was converted to digital service in 11/07 for $0 labor/parts, a one year subscription to the basic service ($160 ???), and I also bought a 200 minute phone minutes package ($69.95). I now renew the subscription in two-year blocks.

----------

[QUOTE=[B]drewsdeville[/B];3317825]Prices vary by region. Around here, the cars are worth (read: SELLING FOR, not ASKING) nowhere near what Sub claims. $4500 is the average price for average condition around here.QUOTE]

Sub didn't "claim" anything. Sub used 3 methods for determining the GM dealer price for an excellent used 2002 STS: Kelley Blue Book online, Edmunds online, and a salesman friend at Fitzgerald Cadillac in Annapolis, MD.

"Around here" - in your case, near Milwaukee WI - the selling price may be somewhat different - but not 40% below "the book". Look up the car in the Washington/Baltimore/Alexandria metroplex area. The OP set the vehicle condition level when he posted "pristine" - in used car sales that translates to Excellent condition - not "average" - excellent.

Yes, you can find the car at the Korner Kar Korral for around $4,000+ - but as you know, and have seen from years in these forums, that car would be a very big monetary headache.

The OP's post concerning how he stumbled into the car - on a "need money for down payment" sale - may explain how he stole the car - even in his California high-rent district.

bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Ford Mustang, 2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT
    If we are talking about the OP's car and the 2002 model year your dealer is, once again, incorrect. My 2002 STS (build 02/02) was converted to digital service in 11/07 for $0 labor/parts, a one year subscription to the basic service ($160 ???), and I also bought a 200 minute phone minutes package ($69.95).
    Well that was the situation for your car at that time. And you're in the US. This was the situation with my car and it was not my dealer who told me, it was OnStar. And that is what was required to convert to digital in 2013. Things change!

The point is that in 2002 or 2003 when your and my cars were built, OnStar was analog. When they converted to all digital then the OnStar systems in our cars had to be converted as well or they would not work. In Canada they charge $15 for the upgrade provided you buy a one year subscription up front. Optional extra hands free minutes can be bought in blocks of 300 for $16 CAD.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Look up the car in the Washington/Baltimore/Alexandria metroplex area.

Yes, you can find the car at the Korner Kar Korral for around $4,000+ - but as you know, and have seen from years in these forums, that car would be a very big monetary headache.
    I could look up all kinds of cars in all areas, but again, they aren't necessarily representative of the car's SELLING PRICE. We aren't interested in what everyone is asking - what would the point in that be?

Those Kar Korral cars, while some are basket cases, are all auction cars - many being trade-ins and off-lease cars FROM the dealer that didn't want to bother with a low profit, sub-$10k, 10 year old car sitting on the lot taking up space for a month when new cars are hot. Why a car being in the dealer's hands matters so much, I don't know... They can't make the occurance of previous ownership or mileage disappear - but their 18 year old porter can sometimes pull the wool over the eyes I guess.

Either way, maybe it's impossible to some, but I know I can find a decent STS of this vintage for around $4500 (and I can also find some not-so-impressive examples on the dealer's lot for $7k). If I can do it, anyone can do it. But, for those that think they can't, just grab deeper in the pockets I guess. It's good for the economy.

I live in Los Angeles, this 02 was was for sale for $4600 and it was actually the most expensive one there. There were two other 02 STS's for 3900 and 4500, both were in good condition, but they had 111k and 130k and weren't as clean as this car, this car could be parked in the showroom, it's amazing. The reason I bought this one for 4500 was the 74k and the 1 owner/clean condition. The car booked for $5500 in my area on KBB, and right now most everything is going for MORE than KBB here.. They have been really low lately, but obviously it's the other way around with these cars.. I know with my 745i KBB was claiming 8k when I couldn't touch one for under 11k..

Anyway, if anyone could answer my original questions I would appreciate it.

What module do I need to go aftermarket?

Do I need it if I go with an OEM navi, and if I do go OEM do I need more than just the navi unit? Thanks!

rundunnyrun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Eldorado ETC

$4,500 ???? Stay tuned, folks. Dealer lot price on this car in Excellent condition is $7,730 - Private Party is $6,200 (and that's on the low side). Does the car have a new radiator, water pump belt, or thermostat ?????? The car originally sold for about $58,000 out the door. THAT is the level at which your maintenance costs will fall.
    So I am guessing 3,600.00 wasn't too high for my '98 Eldo ? I don't know what it sold for new, but it has everything except the moon roof The car has 100,500 miles on it and no carfax issues.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.