1995 STS Speedometer / odometer issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By curtc
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1995 STS Speedometer / odometer issue in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all; I just purchased a 1995 Cadillac Seville STS. The speedometer mostly does not work. About 95% of the ...
    tziady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 STS

1995 STS Speedometer / odometer issue

Hello all;

I just purchased a 1995 Cadillac Seville STS. The speedometer mostly does not work. About 95% of the time, it does not work. Additionally, the trip function as well as the odometer seem to not work. Occasionally, the speedometer will work for a few seconds here and there while driving. At first, I thought it worked with I accelerated heavily; but that was just an unfounded impression. Anyway, during those times, it seems that the odometer and the trip work.

Can someone suggest what things I need to check that might be the source of this problem?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    Tamer

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 1995 STS Speedometer / odometer issue

First place to check is the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) - located on top of the right transmission output shaft extension - just about in front of where a passenger's right toes would point.

Either the electrical connector or the (Hall effect) VSS itself.

How to's down in Discussions, Item Specific; Cadillac Tech Tips. Locator diagram in my albums - The Community tab ^^^, Albums, the red Seville. 2 albums, 118 pictures/graphs/diagrams. (mostly for 2000 and later, but mechanical location is OK)

Next place is a diagnostic of the DIC (Driver Information Center)(instrument panel module). Talk to N*Caddy in this forum. He'll see this, probably today.

Study the sticky post just above this one - "How to pull codes" - to find out how to get stored diagnostic trouble codes from your car's built-in code reader/scanner/memory.

Submariner;

Thanks for the replay.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    First place to check is the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) - located on top of the right transmission output shaft extension - just about in front of where a passenger's right toes would point.

Either the electrical connector or the (Hall effect) VSS itself.

How to's down in Discussions, Item Specific; Cadillac Tech Tips. Locator diagram in my albums - The Community tab ^^^, Albums, the red Seville. 2 albums, 118 pictures/graphs/diagrams. (mostly for 2000 and later, but mechanical location is OK).
    ************ I will check this out right away. I am hoping to change out my stereo this weekend; so that will give me a little bit of time to check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post

Next place is a diagnostic of the DIC (Driver Information Center)(instrument panel module). Talk to N*Caddy in this forum. He'll see this, probably today.

Study the sticky post just above this one - "How to pull codes" - to find out how to get stored diagnostic trouble codes from your car's built-in code reader/scanner/memory.

I have ran the codes twice and only get historic codes and no new codes. I will also try this again to see if any new codes are there; but I know that there currently aren't any.

Thanks so much this gives me at least a place to start looking.
    TZiady

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Do some deep, deep research on the horrors and nightmares of changing a sound system HU that is part of the car's serial data bus and TheftLock system.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k
    Changing the HU is totally doable, just takes the correct adapter harnesses and some car audio know how. I would advise letting a professional do it...And by that I mean NOT Best Buy or any other large chain electronics store, an actual car audio shop...I had mine done and it worked flawlessly for the 5 years I owned the car.
    tziady and tziady like this.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

I have worked with computers and electronics for the past 15 years. I have managed large datacenters full of complex electronic systems and devices. I have successfully changed out two factory audio systems with aftermarket alpine systems in the past. One in a honda passport and the other in a 300zx. It is always a challenge; however, I enjoy it and worse case scenario; I know a very good audio shop that can help me out if I end up messing up anything really badly. I have no issues messing and working with electronics. I will not touch breaks, engine, or other safety items. I have both the trunk adapter harness (but will try to avoid using it since I have no idea how to run it well from there to the dash as well as a dash adapter harness. Finally, if all else fails; I will use the thread in this forum of just connecting to the HU an AUX cord - worse case scenario. I really would love to use my blue tooth enabled alpine and microphone with my phone. Also, will make way for a future installation of a double din nav system with all the bells and whistles; when I can afford the $800 price tag. Finally, I have found that crutchfield support is spectacular along with great resources of people like yourselves. Anyway, plan on it this weekend. Will take pictures and let you all know how it goes.

Cheers,
    T

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.