1967 Eldorado Update
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1967 Eldorado Update in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I didn't do much in the winter being busy with school and just to cold to work but in the ...
    13ir14314 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 DHS, 1967 Eldorado

1967 Eldorado Update

I didn't do much in the winter being busy with school and just to cold to work but in the last week I have gotten a lot accomplished. First thing is I discover why it wont start. No spark, tested to coil and found that it is bad. I have gotten a new coil that I will put on tomorrow. I believe that the original failed because of age and a bad ground to the distributor. I found that the car does have ALC just not hooked up to the compressor but with a manual air filler behind the license plate. The final and most important thing is that I finally did a compression test today. I only did a dry test and was actually surprised by the results.

1-130 psi
    2-144 psi
    3-125 psi
    4-146 psi
    5-115 psi
    6-105 psi
    7-145 psi
    8-131 psi

I triple checked every cylinder and found that they had way better compression than I thought.
    Also when cranking the fuel pump started pumping. I was expecting nasty black floaty stuff but what came out was just some nice clean older gas. Not the best gas but good enough that I'm going to use it in the lawn mower.

I plan to have it running tomorrow. Ill make sure to have a video for that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Re: 1967 Eldorado Update

That engine should have more like 160-175 lbs. After it's running, check it hot w/the carb wide open.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    That engine should have more like 160-175 lbs. After it's running, check it hot w/the carb wide open.
    That I want to see .................... (He'll be OK with some oil film back up in the cylinders.)

Squirt a half teaspoon of oil into each (no spark plug) cylinder and roll the engine a few times - before you even attempt to start it.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Let me clarify so nothing terrible happens. After the engine is running & hot, shut it off, unplug the coil, open the carb wide & check it.
    Better?

Thanks for the advise guys. I put a teaspoon of trany fluid in the cylinders to soak. I used trany fluid because of the high detergents to remove any dirt and carbon from the rings. I will remove as much of that oil as I can tonight if it hasn't all leaked past the rings.

Like I said that was a dry compression test with absolutely no oil up in the cylinders and rings. Those readings are a little low and scattered but I plan on a full rebuild at some point but for now I just want it to run.

Should I also do a leak down test or is the compression test enough?

She's alive. Got a new coil sprayed a little starter fluid in it and with the flick of the key it was running. Sorry I didn't video it as I was to excited to get it running. Sounded great.

The power steering work great as did the power brakes. What I was most impressed by was the vacuum locks work and hold their vacuum.

However all great things must come to an end. I was curious how close the timing was and when hooking up my light to the battery I heard some strange noise and by moving the main wiring harness I could repeat. Disconnected the battery followed the wires and sure enough the main cable going the the starter was laying against the exhaust manifold.

The alternator and all wiring in that area have been replaced by a person that should have nothing to do with cars. Any idea how the main power cable to the starter is supposed to be routed?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.