Quick question on plug boots..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Quick question on plug boots.. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Went to advance last night to start getting all the crap I need for the much needed maintenance / repair ...
    Realtor1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS, 1997 STS, 2002 SLS, 2007 CTS 3.6

Quick question on plug boots..

Went to advance last night to start getting all the crap I need for the much needed maintenance / repair work. the #41-987 Plugs were 6.99 but they have a 2.00 or 1.50 rebate going on is why I got them locally instead of online. Felt dumb when I asked for plug wire set and dude tells me no wires, just a boot..last change I did was on my 97 STS and I know I had wires then dammit..lol..

Anyways, after once again having to convince the guy I wasn't crazy and I WANTED the 6.99 ACDelco plugs and not the bosh I went to get the 33mm socket for bearings and didnt notice he got the Autolite Plug Boots, I do have the Delco plugs, should I return the Autolites and get ACDelco boots as well?

Im sure thats an "opinion" type question and everyone is different but mainly I want to know if it was you guys would you go with inferior boots or insist on acdelco? I am headed out anyway to pick up my new gun so swapping is no big deal.

Anything else you all would recommend doing to it to prepare her for a 1300 mile one way road trip. Plan on doing virtually all fluid replacements, plugs, tires and brakes. I have had her two years and haven't done anything except oil and coolant.

I do have the wonderful almost dies out when at a stop light- completely out of the blue, no warning, and not common maybe 4 times in last 2-3 months. Have seen the threads from other who were stalling, i have exact same symptoms just have not stalled - yet. I plan on checking the things mentioned

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Re: Quick question on plug boots..

It's black magic, for some reason the Northstar doesn't like anything else besides AC Delco for plugs, as for boots ive no idea, i'm not familiar with the Cassette ignition setup on the new northstars, i'm still in plug/wire city..

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

I would think that aftermarket boots would be okay ... no black magic going on there (at least i don't think)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I wouldn't be concerned about Autolite boots.

As for the stalling at lights, that may well be CKP sensors.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL

There is no black magic where the plugs are concerned. Many Cadillacs are running non AC Delco plugs with zero issues. Spark plugs are a fairly simple thing that perform a fairly simple purpose. There are a lot of OEM purists on car forums. If you install a factory plug, an Autolite platinum, etc the car will run fine. It is when you install the "gimmick" plugs like triple leads and such where issues may arise. But saying that I will almost always use factory parts. That is only because I feel I can trust them more than an aftermarket part. But when I have used aftermarket parts most of the time they have worked out just as well as the factory ones. And they were cheaper to boot. Just my opinion

Don

experience is the best teacher and it has taught us that for whatever reason the Northstar engines often have problems with non-OEM plugs
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac View Post
    There is no black magic where the plugs are concerned. Many Cadillacs are running non AC Delco plugs with zero issues. Spark plugs are a fairly simple thing that perform a fairly simple purpose. There are a lot of OEM purists on car forums. If you install a factory plug, an Autolite platinum, etc the car will run fine. It is when you install the "gimmick" plugs like triple leads and such where issues may arise. But saying that I will almost always use factory parts. That is only because I feel I can trust them more than an aftermarket part. But when I have used aftermarket parts most of the time they have worked out just as well as the factory ones. And they were cheaper to boot. Just my opinion

Don
    I had the "gimmick" Bosch "+4 plugs" installed for a while with no issues. On my search for what turned out to be an EGR cleaning issue, I installed the "proper" AC Delco plugs a few months ago, but I haven't noticed any difference.

Not saying that others haven't had any issues with other plugs, just not me.

often non-OEM plugs will run just fine in a northstar for anywhere from 1,000 to 25,000 miles (or more sometimes) but eventually they'll start acting up

the OEM plugs are good for at least 100,000 miles ... i've heard of people getting close to 150,000 miles on original plugs and wires (although i wouldn't recommend trying it)

Buster28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 ETC 18K miles, 1991 Allante 11K miles, 1996 ETC (sold)

My 00 ETC was delivered from the factory with Nippondenso plugs, I had to change them at 18K miles due to multiple misfires. I used AC Delco for the replacements, hoping they last at least 25K.

25K? My OEM plugs are approaching 100K (and I don't plan on changing them until THEY tell me it's time).

Realtor1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS, 1997 STS, 2002 SLS, 2007 CTS 3.6

Thanks for the input guys

Well, was at Advance anyway and had everything with me - I need to return the crummy brake pads guy sold me and get the right ones with wear sensor and just a better quality, could easily tell just by looking. So, figured I would have them check on different boots, the Autolites they sold me were considered mid grade and was only thing in stock and figured they have five year warranty and if they suck I'll bring em back.

I was gonna start new thread and post these pics for feedback but screw it, do it here..lol... me and a buddy got the plugs and boots changed out and wasn't to awful bad doing the back bank, definitely wasn't fun. Last owner cheaped out when they replaced them, used Denso and most of the plugs were worn to bad I don't know how they were still working. The packs that are on top on Both front and back three of the four contact were extremely corroded. Is that just from plugs being left in to long?

Wish charging the dam AC went as smooth as the plugs.
    Attached Images

Buster28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 ETC 18K miles, 1991 Allante 11K miles, 1996 ETC (sold)

I am surprised that it was actually running with those plugs and the corrosion on the coil cassette contacts.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Buster28 View Post
    My 00 ETC was delivered from the factory with Nippondenso plugs, I had to change them at 18K miles due to multiple misfires. I used AC Delco for the replacements, hoping they last at least 25K.
    DENSO was the original supplier for our engine spark plugs. Sometime in ~2004, GM contracted with DENSO to brand them as AC Delco. Read the box. AC Delco #41-987 - "Made in Japan".

My 2002 had DENSO plugs in it - got paranoid at 55,000, changed them, looked like brand new when they came out. AC Delco #41-987.

Here you go - plugs look familiar ?? .................

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Prob run like a champ now... Lucky that corrosion didn't nuke the coils or something else.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.