Over heating problems on a STS northstar. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Over heating problems on a STS northstar. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ton of stop leak? Flush out radiator next? That's cheap. Almost free if you do it....
    stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Ton of stop leak? Flush out radiator next? That's cheap. Almost free if you do it.

bikerbobby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS

Re: Over heating problems

I'd like to know what kind of diagnosing your talking about that I haven't already done to it. If something passes a block test the first two time, the coolant tank and t-stat were replaced and a flush did no good then what else can I try. I figured the stop leak had plugged up the radiator so bad that it couldn't be flushed out. So I replaced it and the water pump. After I replaced the clogged radiator, it opened up the passages and it failed the block test right off he bat. So it looks like I have a very expensive boat anchor in my driveway. Thanks

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Why did you replace the WP? If it wasn't leaking and was spinning, it was good. Why replace the surge tank if it wasn't leaking?

It just gets kind of frustrating to see people have an overheat problem and then start "throwing parts at it" hoping one will solve it. We see it all the time. So now you have this "boat anchor" with new parts. It ain't my money, but I still hate to see you add insult to injury.

In post #1 you said it passed the block test. A clogged radiator would not give a false negative on the test. If it failed with one radiator, it will fail with the other.

Why did you replace the WP? If it wasn't leaking and was spinning, it was good. Why replace the surge tank if it wasn't leaking?

It just gets kind of frustrating to see people have an overheat problem and then start "throwing parts at it" hoping one will solve it. We see it all the time. So now you have this "boat anchor" with new parts. It ain't my money, but I still hate to see you add insult to injury.

In post #1 you said it passed the block test. A clogged radiator would not give a false negative on the test. If it failed with one radiator, it will fail with the other.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Over heating problems on a STS northstar.

Bump !!! and moved to the proper Seville forum.

lorain is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville

Only overheating on stop? Or while in full cruise? If only at stop, could indicate weak radiator fans. Fans may not be toggling at all if relay is bad. Only a few bucks to replace that. About $50 per fan motor. $40 for fan control module if you need that. Also, replace radiator cap and check thoroughly for leaks. Coolant needs to pressurize to increase the boiling temperature. The radiator cap regulates the pressure. Also only cost you a few bucks. Using the right coolant could have an effect, also, as antifreeze also raises the boiling temp of coolant (in addition to providing anti-freezing properties). Check also to see if you're running too lean of fuel mixture or improper ignition timing (if you have distributor). Quick temporary fix for running lean is adding higher octane gas (not necessarily good for engines that don't compensate automatically by PCM but will burn slightly cooler). Just some random ideas. Did you use a good brand of water pump? I've had off brands of water pump fail instantly on smaller engines. May be working, but weak. I would check the water pump serpentine belt and make sure it's tight enough as well.

Please DO NOT Double Post

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Merged with duplicate thread/posts. Now it's all in one place. bikerbobby, as requested, please don't double post - keep all questions on the same problem in the same thread.

Shaker68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 sts

I had overheating problems caused by a plugged heater core. Found that out after replacing the usual suspects with no results.

Moneypit is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado '83 Fleetwood

It might be a defective surge tank cap. If it doesn't hold pressure coolant will escape thru the the tube just beneath the cap. When enough coolant escapes it will over heat. If that is the problem, it is a cheap fix. Also, have you checked the heater hoses for leaks?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.