1995 Eldorado overheating at Idle/Standstill
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1995 Eldorado overheating at Idle/Standstill in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 1995 Eldorado Ok this happened out the blue 2 days ago my car over heated and pee'd out all of ...
    CadillacChrisHtown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado sittin on 5 elbows its a classic B-)

1995 Eldorado overheating at Idle/Standstill

1995 Eldorado

Ok this happened out the blue 2 days ago my car over heated and pee'd out all of the water i had in her...(yeah water.... I ran water in it for 3 days...didnt have any coolant and figured it'd be ok since its been hot here in Houston....

the car normally ran and sat at 218 degrees since ive owned it....Now its sneaks to 230 and tries to get to Engine Hot....(got there once shut it right off and let the hood up to cool her)

The fans never worked until I fixed them last night the last owner rigged them up use black tape etc = fuses popped....I replaced the wires to all 3 fans (2 on back blowing one exhausting on front left side)

the temperature drops to the 208-210 when driving (WOW! didn't know my fans weren't working until last night thought the 218 degrees ive been seeing was normal)

Im hoping and I don't suspect it to be the HG's although im no pro...there is no white smoke coming from tail pipes and it doesn't shoot to over heat immediately upon crank up... it take about 15 mins to get to 226-230 range from cold state....

what should i be looking for some has told me it may be the water pump but i though water pumps have to leak to fail (could I be wrong???)

I dont know what going on it cools down while driving and heats up when idling

Help me guys....

also if it is a gasket problem....every O'rielly and Autozone ive been to either dont have or dont know what a block test kit is to let me rent or borrow it is there another name for it...

Ps: I tugged on the water pump belt to the right of the motor it feels snug...
    \either way help me because i dont know what to look for next....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 1995 Eldorado overheating at Idle/Standstill

found a connector under the water pump assembly that came a loose I hooked it back up...car idled good fluctuated 210-212 ...then a good 20 mins later temperature climbed into the mid 230s :-/

also how many fans came on the 1995 Eldorado elc??? I have 3 and noticed with all my other caddys that there are only two...the reason im asking is because i noticed my 10a mini fan fuse keeps blowing... (figuring the extra fan may be trying to draw to too much current) ....so me being the nut that I am i threw a 30 amp mini fuse in place of the 10 amp fan fuse (Hey thats all I had)....after doing that that connector i found unhooked and reconnected it turned red hot as if wanted to burn.....

i turned off the car immediately and pulled the fuse im now waiting for the car to cool so i can trace the connector wires and see if it may be fault in the insulation and touching

i don't have a camera with me at the moment but the connect is right under the water pump area and the right side has black/light blue piece and purple and a light brown wire from what i can tell...im mentioning this connect because the car idledlonger this time before it climbed even into the 220's...so hoping im on the right track

----------

:Small update: engine cooled traced the wires back from that loose connector....It was to the o2 Sensor under the water pump belt....

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Two fans. Both pulling. The pusher fan is an add on.
    I would never run an engine i cared about on straight water and never use tap water in the cooling system ever.
    There is stuff in coolant to lubricate and prevent corrosion in the cooling system.
    Tap water has minerals and an unknown PH factor.

alright...yeah i took that tap water out... it was in there for 3 days...hope it didnt do much damage...still out here staring at my car with the hood up...the bad thing is when anyone passes by and sees the hood of a Cadillac up instantly they think "overheat" which is the case lol

----------

the o2 sensors wires are broken at the connector and broke of at the sensor could this cause overheating so far its the only thing i can see wrong besides my extra fan

Moneypit is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado '83 Fleetwood

Could be the thermostat. Yours is about old enough to fail. Sounds like it was bad when you bought the car. Your cadillac dealer will be proud to sell you one for about $30. RockAuto will sell you a Delco for about $22 and your local parts store will sell a Murry or Stant brand for about $14 + change. For a lazy slow working guy like myself the job will take a little over an hour. You will be pleased to learn it will probably start running at about 203 degrees.

Of course, I could be wrong.

yeah...i pulled a thermostat of my moms 02 deville it was rusted and cloged with dexcool mines was still springy and shiny its $15 down here i might as well replace it to get it off my checklist...just didnt want to waste $20 of coolant....so a thermostat can still be the culprit even if the spring is squeezable by hand...are there any other parts i should inspect on the thermostat when i pull it?...also can i rule out the water pump since its not leaking???? I just took it for a nice drive about 15mins from my house 2 stop lights tried to scare me and it got up to 226 degrees i pulled it in the drieway at 217 degrees let it sit and watched it crawl its way to 230 before i went ahead and shut her down

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    You had car for a long time? Ever put in radiator sealer stuff? Wonder if removing upper/lower radiator hoses and flushing out radiator would help or not?

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Make sure your purge hose to the reservoir tank is flowing coolant.

no never put sealer stuff in (YET!)....Oh yeah and the purge line is working...i unhooked it at the tank and cranked the car green juice squirted everywhere...

FYI: My '94 was overheating like yours was. When I posted my message I had just come in from installing a new thermostat. Since then I took her for a spin. During the drive, it stayed at 199. It hit 201 once at a stop light. And yes, the defective thermostat compressed. I'm about to take a 23 mile hiway trip. If it hiccups I'll let you all know.

4.9l vfi or 4.6l northstar? and yes please do let me know...

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Northstar.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If it is overheating and you have no external leak, you need to do a block test.

what should i be looking for some has told me it may be the water pump but i though water pumps have to leak to fail (could I be wrong???)
    Correct, if the WP is not leaking and is spinning, it's doing it's job.

Does your surge tank smell like exhaust? Are your exhaust tips somewhat wet and oily?

Just a thought: The surge tank cap might not hold pressure. At operating temp the surge tank contains pressure. A weak pressure cap will allow coolant in the form of steam or liquid to escape through the tube which drains near the rear of the engine.

Luckily it was the thermostat although i was about to skip right over it because i figured it looked new and it sprung back when squeezed on it...Just happy Slabrina is back on the streets "turning heads" ....I added some Texas belts and got a grille made Ill update you all with pics in a bit....

Again thanks for all the help guys now I just might throw her in paint for the summer :-)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.