Drivers side rear Brake locked - Third time - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Drivers side rear Brake locked - Third time in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ABS is standard on all wheels at all speeds (including reverse) since the '80s in Cadillac. By '98 even cars ...
    N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Drivers side rear Brake locked - Third time

ABS is standard on all wheels at all speeds (including reverse) since the '80s in Cadillac.
    By '98 even cars like Honda Civic started having some of these.

If I were you I would have a good long look at the caliper, sliders and piston and parking brake.
    Brake lines are nothing but lines, will NOT cause a caliper to lock.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Did he screw the rear caliper pistons back into the caliper when replacing the pads ?

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Well you have to screw it in otherwise it won’t go over the new (thicker) brake pads.
    What I would suspect is a parking brake defective mechanism (the arm/screw combo) or an issue with the piston. The piston should constantly adapt to the brake pad thickness (each day the brake pads are very slowly getting thinner). And the caliper is designed to slowly compensate for this, with each brake the piston core rotates just a bit (unscrew out) when applying line pressure and then rotates back in but just a bit less each time. So as the brake pad wears out the piston is screwed out. I am guessing the piston comes out but is not coming back in fully so in time it gets tighter and tighter resulting in brake applied all the time on that corner.
    So if is not the sliders (seized) then that's what it is and I would either replace the caliper or rebuild it (replace the worm screw inside, gaskets and such, maybe check that spring for the parking brake if it sits correctly).
    The rear calipers are more complicated than the front ones, basically the front calipers are nothing but a piston and gaskets working exactly as you would expect, the rear ones have this screw action on the inside because of the parking brake.

Tankboy40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 ETC (N* 120k)

Just for kicks, would you mind taking pictures of the left rear caliper and pads and such?

Windrider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98-SLS, 01-SLS

Finally back to this tread. I did replace the rotor and pads this past weekend and flushed all lines with new brake fluid. When I went to remove the caliper it was hard tight to the rotor but when I tapped the parking brake lever it freed up enough for me to be able to rotate the hub with my hand. So I disconnected the cable, detached the bracket and did not reattach it. I removed the caliper and it looked ok (it was new on the last lockup) so I reused it. Replaced the rotor and the caliper adjusted properly and I was able to install the new pads- no problem.

So I am blaming the parking brake. I have been checking ever few days by jacking up the rear wheel and testing to be sure I can rotate it by hand. So far so good!

I will have to address the parking brake at some point but for now I will just keep a look out for a problem.

Thanks to everyone’s response and insight to the problem. And thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding about ABS.

Sorry too late to take pictures I discarded all the ruined parts.
    Tankboy40 and Tankboy40 like this.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Now you need to figure out if it is the caliper or the cable that is causing the issue. Remove the wheel and work the parking brake lever on the caliper. Does it snap back on its own with no help whatsoever from you? If no then you have an issue there. If it does you will need a new parking brake cable,

Don

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.