ID of Front Suspension Part for 95 SLS & Brake Caliper Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, ID of Front Suspension Part for 95 SLS & Brake Caliper Problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; What to you call the front suspension part that the brake caliper bolts to? It appears to be a big ...
    halsls is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac Sevelle

ID of Front Suspension Part for 95 SLS & Brake Caliper Problem

What to you call the front suspension part that the brake caliper bolts to? It appears to be a big casting tht connects the lower control arm to the strut rod, and contains the front wheel bearings. I need another one I think!!!

What happened? Bolting on the left front caliper after replacing the pads and rotor, I was daydreaming and inadvertently overtorqued the lower bolt that holds the caliper on. Now the caliper is only held on with upper bolt...not good. VERY Embarassing....I consider my self a relatively experienced home mechanic and can't belief I sheared the bolt.

My plans are to remove whatever the calipers bolt to, I think it's the large casting piece and replace it with a slavage yard part or take it to a machine shop to have the sheared on threaded part of the bolt replaced.

Anyplace I can get an exploded view of the front suspension to see what parts have to be replaced?

Thanks
    Hal

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Re: ID of Front Suspension Part for 95 SLS & Brake Caliper Problem

the illustration is not posting -
    but go here -

http://www.genmotorinfo.com/Picture....9412076M06-024

--------------

part #18 - Steering Knuckle

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Happens to the best of us Hal. Before you replace the knuckle, you might try an easy out.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Like Ranger said try an easy out first, I've snapped so many bolts off I'm a self taught expert on fixing them.

halsls is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac Sevelle

Thanks for the exploded parts diagram. Rather than hassle trying to remove the broken bolt, I've ordered a "new" knuckle from a ebay part seller. Since I'll have the hub/bearing out, I ordered a new one from a well known on-line parts seller. BTW, see the bolt identified as part 22. The Cadillac dealer wants $31 for this bolt!!! It's available from the same on-line parts seller for $3.18. A 10:1 price difference...amazing.

About removing broken bolts.......when all else fails, you know like you tried to drill out the bolt stub and the drill bit broke, etc.....what to do?
    You call Jerry's Tap and Die in Santa Ana, California. Their main business is removing broken off bolts no one else can remove. How do they do it? They erode the bolt away with an electric arc. Their machines have small tubes from which flows a water/oil emulsion. The tube is electrified. The tube oscillates up and down and every time it touches the bolt stub it removes metal. The fluid emulsion keeps things cool and it also removes the metal debris. The metal debris looks like very tiny ball bearings. This eats out the entire bolt except for it's threads. They remove the threads with a tap. If need be the renew the threads with an insert. They also make "house calls," for large items too large to ship, they come to your place. Didn't ask, but I'd guess house calls are expensive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.