2000 SLS recurring wheel bearing / hub assembly problem - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2000 SLS recurring wheel bearing / hub assembly problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Although I am not in any way an expert, but I too began to have a similar if not the ...
    dawgjoose is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 CATERA, 2001 STS

Re: 2000 SLS recurring wheel bearing / hub assembly problem

Although I am not in any way an expert, but I too began to have a similar if not the same experience with my 01 sts. I was on a trip to the Carolinas via I-95 (which I thought was an adequate speed limit for Ms. Lac) and slowly a low hum from the front wheels was detected. As I continued on the hum got louder until it began to sound like I was driving my truck with snow tires. I drove back and immediately changed the front passenger hub. Guess what! It didn't fix the hum! I then took off the driver hub and it looked good. I guess the stereo will be LOUD till I can figure this one out!!! Maybe I'll try the drive axle next. BTW I got the PCM 0440 MIL while on my trip. Gotta look it up.

Brandon Meats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS, 2003 Deville Base

Just thought I'd post an update in here to let you know what I've done. On Monday I warrantied the SKF wheel bearing again (NAPA was expressing a deep concern seeing as how this is number three from them) and they advised I figure out what the problem is seeing as how my car keeps "destroying" wheel bearings. That same day I tossed in a new CV axle. The old one didn't look bad but who knows. That same day I ordered a steering knuckle / spindle from a boneyard and just tossed that in tonight. I'll be taking it in for another alignment check tomorrow seeing as how I may have disturbed the position of the strut where it mounts. Those are the only two parts that touch the bearing so I changed them both. Nothing with the axle seemed out of place, however I did notice a difference in how the bearing mounted to the knuckle. The one that came off of my car seemed sloppy, and by that I mean when I took the three bolts out of the bearing the assembly almost jumped out there was so much clearance. I test fitted the hub in the other spindle and it was tight. So tight that when I went to bolt it all together, it actually took a fair amount of pressure to fit it in properly. The old assembly would actually wobble in the spindle. My assumption is that a previous owner or mechanic used a die grinder to clean the oxidation and buildup out of the mounting surface. When I change hubs I use a fiber roloc to clean the flat surfaces and I just take a small piece of emery cloth to clean up the gunk in the mounting hole only removing the bulk. Torqued the mounting bolts to 90 lbft and the axle to 107 lbft per Cadillac's specs. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it's possible the wobbled out knuckle was causing the issue. It may be possible that not being snug in the knuckle is why the bearings failed repeatedly, perhaps flexing or twisting on the bearing assembly. 9 bearings from 4 different manufacturers would lead me to believe it's not a hub issue seeing as how each one had the same result. I'll keep you posted on the issue and let you know if it fails again, or if it lasts longer than 6 weeks. On to the next project, on my way to the shop, both of my low beam headlights quit working simultaneously. It never ends

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

The old assembly would actually wobble in the spindle
    I would be willing to put money down -
    that you found the problem -

Brandon Meats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS, 2003 Deville Base
    @dawgoose - The same thing happened to me with my first initial wheel hub problem. Was on the highway and I was looking around for an airplane overhead until I realized it was coming from my car. When I got home, changed out the left front bearing cause that's where the noise sounded like it was coming from. I get on the highway, still there! Went and got another bearing and changed out the passenger side then. Noise was gone after that. People asked why I didn't switch them. This way I knew they were both good to go and quiet. Little did I know what was about to become this ongoing problem. Lol.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.