79 Seville Steering column re-assembly WOES...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By 9302Eldug
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 79 Seville Steering column re-assembly WOES... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello Gentlemen; Well after great help by RANGER and time I got my new key lock ass'y by EBAY from ...
    Redbaycaddie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 de Ville

79 Seville Steering column re-assembly WOES...

Hello Gentlemen;

Well after great help by RANGER and time I got my new key lock ass'y by EBAY from USA, and began to re-install everything today.

I have a mechanic friend to help.

I have a 1976 Seville shop manual, a few things are different as I believe the steering wheel design was changed a bit....but so far differences not a problem.

The car starts fine, 4 way flashers Ok, turn signals ok.

We are now 'hung up' on trying to assemble the switch ass'y, spring, carrier ass'y and lock plate, these all have to be HELD DOWN by a spring compressor and the RING ( I call it a circlip of sorts) has to be inserted.

But of course we tried it without the spring just to 'see' if it's possible.

NOT possible as no way for the RING to be inserted, the assemblies do not go DOWN enough, we took it all out several times to make sure the switch ass'y is put fully in with no obstructions, and are pretty sure it is OK.

My 'fallback position is to GRIND the LIP off the Lock Plate to gain space for the RING to fit, but really, I should not do that....everything fit when i took it apart!

I know this is a very hard one, but if anyone has any ideas it would be SO great.

Now, assuming I solve that problem, does anyone know where I might get the plastic RETAINER , it may look Ok in photo but it is in 4 pieces and I think impossible to glue back together.

THANKS in advance for any leads or ideas....

Ron in Brisbane Australia
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

9302Eldug is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 and 02 Eldorado

Re: 79 Seville Steering column re-assembly WOES...

You will need to pull up on the steering shaft, when disassembled they tend to drop down a bit.
    Tankboy40 and Tankboy40 like this.

Tankboy40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 ETC (N* 120k)

Redbaycaddie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 de Ville

Dear9302 Eldug;

Thanks for that suggestion, I tried it and indeed I was able to 'pull' the center of the steering column up about 1/2 inch, enough, I believe, to get the compressed spring into the hole, top it with the carrier ass'y and lock plate, and slip in the RING.

However, I beleive to do this ass'y, as shown in the manual, I will need a spring compressor.

I am more than a bit angry at myself for bad memory and not taking a photo, but I improvised a compresser from my friends box of bolts and pieces to get all this dis assembled, over a few months ago.

Now I can not remember exactly what pieces I used, although I have all his stuff here. In fact I can MAKE a spring compresser as shown in the manual if I have to, but I seem to have another problem.

To operate any compressor it seems the UPPER SHAFT with its LOCKING WEDGE and ROD MUST be fixed down in the steering column.

I can see down the hole to see that the wedge should (must?) go into a deeper part of the slot to hold the shaft down, but that deeper slot is definately not far enough down for the wedge to 'catch' it.

There must be some way to fix the shaft in the hole to operate the compresser, but my addled brain cannot find the way.

If you can 'see' my mistake here, any ideas would be VERY helpful.

Ron in Brisbane

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.