Help needed! 99 STS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Help needed! 99 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well I went out and bought new plugs today (ACDelco 41-950), along with some other things and am going to ...
    codeywynne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS

Re: Help needed! 99 STS

Well I went out and bought new plugs today (ACDelco 41-950), along with some other things and am going to replace them later on today or tomorrow. But this issue hasn't happened again since the other night, but I still don't know exactly what cause this problem.... Any other recommendations where to go from here?

PS. This is the most expensive set of plugs I have bought... $55.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

www.rockauto.com

Your car, year, engine, ignition. Platinum spark plug. AC Delco 41-950, $4.72 each. (but, then shipping figures in)

Next time, talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    www.rockauto.com

Your car, year, engine, ignition. Platinum spark plug. AC Delco 41-950, $4.72 each. (but, then shipping figures in)

Next time, talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>
    Thanks man, I will defiantly keep that in mind!

Okay little update guys, so I today I changed the air filter, and the spark plugs (was a p.i.t.a.). Anyway I had to drive the car up to the parts store to change out a clamp they had given me. But it started doing the same thing again.. I noticed when it got up to about 1500rpm is when it would start doing it..... so when I got to the parts store I disconnected all four plugs 2 times and plugged them back in, went in and exchanged the clamp and came out and drove the car home... And nothing... I hauled stomped on it just to see if it would do it again and nothing... so is it safe to say its the ICM connections? Should I just replace it..? Luckily I just saw a parts car of the same make/model/year on craigslist....

Also Note: Tonight when it happened, I pulled the codes and it didn't come up with any.

Okay guys, some new info...

The car has been fine until just a few minutes ago on the way home it stalled and died on me... and was able to pull over get it started again and drive it home (luckily I was close) But I tried to pull it into the drive way in reverse and it kept stalling and dying. Once I was able to get it up in the drive way I pulled the codes and this is what came up.

DTC P1377 IC Cam Pulse To 4X Reference Pulse (History)
    DTC P1599 Engine Stall or Near Stall Detected (History)

Any ideas? Should I just try and replace the coils and the ICM? Unfortunately it will have to wait a couple weeks cause I do not get paid again till then, and it sucks because this is my only vehicle. I was in contact with the owner of the parts car and he said he would do $100 for the ICM and the Coils... Which is the cheapest I have found.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Go back into your spark plug/wire work and .......... dismount the 4 coils. Clean the bases and outer coil areas thoroughly. Now remove the ICM and clean it as well as the electrical connections - use an electronics cleaner spray or misted alcohol, blown dry (computer "air"?). Make sure the ICM ground wire is connected and that the connections themselves are clean and electrically tight. See the little ground symbo at the upper left corner of the ICM ? That wire is actually about 6" long and it is absolutely necessary for proper system operation.

Carefully inspect the ICM for cracking - you would not be the first to have a nagging miss/poor engine performance traced to a cracked ICM connector base plate.

One of the connectors going to the ICM is a pulse reference from the CMP (CaMshaft Position sensor) on the lower right bank cylinder head, front face. (below and 'behind' the p/s pump area) The ICM feeds the 4x pulse to the PCM.

Use this diagram to make sure the proper plug wire is connected to the proper coil terminal ................
    codeywynne and codeywynne like this.

Thanks for the help man, I will try this after I pick up my wife from school tonight and I have the time, this is driving me nuts! Trying to enjoy driving my vehicle and its power and then it stalls on me at a light.... little bit embarrassing lol.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Stalling at full stop? CKP?

Well at first it did it when I was going about 20mph coming out of a turn... and it stalled and died. Then it was also doing it while I was trying to reverse the car up the drive way... needless to say I was not able to get it up the driveway in reverse I had to pull in forwards to keep it from dying on me.

Okay guys,

So I took apart the icm and coils today and cleaned them as noted put it all back together went to start it and nothing. It would turn over but it wasn't producing any spark to the plugs. Soooo I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the new ICM/coils and see if that solves my problem.... Wish me luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.