Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; People call the rears struts too. Maybe a misnomer I'm not sure....
    Mr.electric is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville
    People call the rears struts too. Maybe a misnomer I'm not sure.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Some cars have struts all around, some have shocks all around. Ours have struts in front, shocks in rear. Two different things.

Shocks absorb shock and control body motion. Struts do the same, but also serve to locate the wheels, and serve as a spring perch.
    bwv565 and bwv565 like this.

bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Ford Mustang, 2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT

Re: Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake

Thanks MC. I took a nap and a shower and decided to also take another highway drive. No traffic, clear sky and beautiful day. Put the sunroof on tilt, the windows down and the CD in the changer and took to the road. Damn I wish I didn't love this car so much. I also checked for codes and there no current codes, only History and no PCM.

Are you saying, then, that the struts in front (btw is there a driver/passenger difference or does one size fit all?) and shocks in rear would do the trick? If so, would it be better to get new tires after doing that, or if I put new tires on now (the mechanic said I'd feel an immediate difference) would that also be a good idea?

I wish I hated the car looks wise, it'd be so much easier to get rid of it. But I just don't.

P.S. This also solves the mystery of my other thread regarding the slight body roll when coming to a full stop ... the car is bouncy due to the struts/shocks, for sure.

Caddydrummer67 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '01 ETC 49,000 miles 2002 F55 STS 63,000 miles

bwv, we are in kind of the same boat. I bought my 2002 STS last year and it's been a constant problem. One thing after another. I've replaced the front F55struts, new tranny, repaired brake lines, A/C leak, now my crossover is weaping and I'm fairly certain my HG are bad, but here's the deal. I went into it woth my eyes wide open. Even after I take my car to Jake or Joe and get the HGs done, I'll have about $16,000 in the car. There's no other car you can get today for $16,000 that compares to my STS. Nothing even comes close. It still has low miles and after I make it right, it will be good to go for a long time. These front-drive Northstar caddys have a very distinct personality. There's nothing else like em on the road. Fast, powerful, luxurious, great in bad weather, and they just have a "feel" to them that is unique. Now, I'm older than you and I can afford to do these repairs but keep in mind what you get for the money. You get what you pay for. Spend the money and you'll have something special. If you can't afford the STS, go buy a used accord and go about your merrry way. I would keep the STS and fix it as you can afford to. Eventually, you will have a very unique, special and rare car in very good condition for far lesss than any other car that is comparable to your STS.
    orconn, orconn, bwv565 and 1 others like this.

Thanks drummer. Of course reading your post gives me that small push I probably should follow to keep it and fix it over time. And just let it sit until it's done...who knows how long. You're 100% right about nothing else feels like or looks like this beast, once a Caddy lover always a Caddy lover as far as I'm concerned.

I still have it listed for sale but if I can't sell it then I'll put Plan B into effect and start saving.

Thanks.

@MC, here are the ACDelco part numbers I *think* are what I need for my STS. Are you able to confirm? They seem to be so much cheaper on Amazon or eBay than through a dealership, about 50% less...so I'm concerned that maybe I'm not comparing oranges to oranges:

Front struts (same for L and R): 580-245
    Right rear shock: 580-323
    Left rear shock: 580-325

Thanks.

Yup, that's them.

rundunnyrun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by bwv565 View Post
    And therein lies the rub. The bottom line: I love the car.
    I'm with you. No one will probably ever get out of one what they have in it. I love my car too ! In some cases, it almost sounds like they ( mechanics ) are jerkin your chain. Other times it sounds like they just don't give a hoot! I would probably go above and beyond the call of duty to fix what ever was wrong with mine if the case arose. I feel for you. I have no answers, just moral support.

Thanks @rundunnyrun for the moral support. The decision I face now is whether to put another ~$4K into strut/shock/tire replacements. Nothing else at the moment needs to be done. But it's still a 10-year old car, and as everyone here has said and knows, things will start to break one by one, as I've already experienced. And I don't have a lot of money to fix everything, or the skills (also as everyone knows). Anyway it's a tough decision. I have it listed on a few websites for sale and if someone offers me enough, I might just sell it.

rundunnyrun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Eldorado ETC

I understand totally. My Eldo is 15 years old. Thank God it was bought by an older couple from Florida and I am only it's second owner. It just rolled over 100K. That figures roughly 6,700 miles a year !! Every little quirk, knock, what ever, they took it to the dealer where it was bought new in Ft. Meyers. It literally looks brand new. Not everyone is that fortunate. Nothing rides, to me, like a Cadillac. I just pray everything works out for you regardless of your decision !!

Quote Originally Posted by rundunnyrun View Post
    Nothing rides, to me, like a Cadillac. I just pray everything works out for you regardless of your decision !!
    You got that right, and thanks for the support. We'll see...Chris from Rippy is trying to help me out as well.

Has anyone here ever heard of or bought anything from strutmasters.com? I heard about them from a local Cadillac dealer who says they have much cheaper (coil, non-air) struts and shocks for much less than the OEM versions that can be obtained here. I am waiting to hear back from them with a quote but I'm thinking I would be losing the whole point of having an STS vs. SLS. Can anyone here who has done this conversion comment on how the driving experience differs?

Here's what they sent me:
    http://www.strutmasters.com/Articles.asp?ID=306

And here is their description:
    Strutmasters 1998-2005 Cadillac Seville 4.6L Deluxe 4 Wheel Suspension Conversion Kit With Resistor is the perfect solution to your air suspension problems. Designed to be very affordable, you can convert your air suspension to use standard struts and coil springs for less than the price of replacing one electronic strut.
    KIT CLASS: PREMIUM
    AVAILABILITY: IN STOCK
    WARRANTY: LIFETIME

FEATURES:
    • Saves Money
    • All New Components
    • Returns Vehicle To Factory Ride Height
    • Showroom New Ride Quality
    • More Reliable Than Electronic Suspensions
    • No Modifications Required To Install
    • Easy To Install
    KIT INCLUDES:
    • 2 Pre-Assembled Complete Front Strut Assemblies Including Springs And Mounts
    • 2 Proper Rate Coil Springs With Mounting Hardware
    • 2 Premium Rear Shocks
    • 2 Rear Eibach Springs
    • All Necessary Hardware
    • Detailed Instructions Including How To Disable The Ride Light
    It's $699 (US) plus shipping (which, to Canada, including taxes, duty, etc., would be ~$400).

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

You'll be disabling the active suspension and going with passive suspension?

The short version - the car will ride harder, and sag under heavier loads. If you're going to go passive, you can get passive, ELC compatible shocks, cheap.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

as mentioned earlier, that downgrade from active to passive suspension won't work on F55/Magneride cars (aka 2002.5 and 2003 STS)

well, technically you can do it but you will have error messages and codes and speed limitations
    i wouldn't recommend it
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.