Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well, an 03 Sts is rare. I assume an 03 with cobbled together non- oem struts is even more rare? ...
    stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Well, an 03 Sts is rare. I assume an 03 with cobbled together non- oem struts is even more rare? So you can fool the f55, stabilitrak system in thinking all is well?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Re: Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake

The Magnaride struts were still there, but there was no wiring coming from the struts to the connectors.
    The dealer (Kia) said they would fix it prior to striking a deal.
    The dealer was in Hamilton, about a 5 hour return drive for me.
    I was pissed when I got there and saw the suspension warning still lit up on the dash ... should've walked away then and there.

The car still drove nicely (except for the 65mph shimmy), the body was immaculate, and the factory nav won me over.
    Plus, I was trading a 2005 Civic with 85k even on the 03 STS with 120klm's.
    The Kia dealer was having trouble selling the STS, I offered a trade plus cash to the owner of the dealership, via the phone.
    When I saw the suspension still wasn't fixed, we agreed on a straight trade, no cash.
    Otherwise, I was driving home with my Civic.

I talked myself into believing that I really only wanted the soft ride, and didn't care about the magnaride not working.
    The car wasn't my primary transportation, and it was so much nicer than a Civic, even with the soft default ride.
    Obviously, some mechanic tried to fix the service ride message by playing around with sensors and connectors, then gave up.
    On a slow Sunday cruise, the STS was great. But, I knew I was missing out on the all the fun that comes with Magnaride, and it frustrated me knowing I
    was basically driving a faulty car. No fault of GM, but someone dumped the car when they couldn't afford to fix it, and then I inherited the same problem.
    Dumb on my part, but its a familiar story with any high end used luxury car.

If I could find a super low mileage 2003/04 STS, I may jump back in one more time. Hard to say.
    bwv565 and bwv565 like this.

bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Ford Mustang, 2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT

@ted tcb, wow, I don't know where to begin. I will provide my responses/thoughts to your two posts but in the meantime here is a pic of my '04 Miata GT..love it! Am going on a road trip this summer to Quebec City with 26 other Miatas. Cannot wait!
    BWV565_Miata.jpg

@ted. Well, maybe we're kindred spirits, separated at birth, although love for cars is a genetic trait in my family that I cannot overcome...my father calls it a 'curse'.
    First, I have to say I had a good laugh at your Miata pic in the snow. Do you really drive it in those conditions? It turns into a sled. LOL
    Second, I totally understand and agree with everything you wrote. For me, it's a visceral (read: hormonal, testosterone-induced) reaction when I see a car I love, and I too let my heart get in the way of my head, and do things that I shouldn't. I bought this car from a non-GM dealer as well, and also made the huge mistake of not investigating further on past issues. Had I done that, I wouldn't be posting all over this forum probably.
    In the first month I had the car (actually only 2 weeks post), I noticed a squealing noise from the front brakes. Although my car passed certification and was eTested (a joke if you ask me), the dealership told me that the brakes were squeaking/squealing because they *JUST* passed inspection and were at the VERY bare minimum for passing. He said they needed to be replaced, as well as pads and rotors. Then he called and said engine mount and tie rod, while ok for the time being, would soon need replacement. I had them do everything (funny enough, the initial reason I brought the car to them was for an OnStar upgrade to digital) at once, also had them try to fix the broken cigarette lighter outlets (see my other thread about that failure), and the rear back-up light on the passenger side that was broken. All told, it cost $2800 for everything, including a year of OnStar. I called the dealer where I bought the car and explained the situation to him and he with no questions asked, gave his credit card and chipped in $500 towards these repairs. I thought that was fair, even though it was killing me to spend this much $. While driving the vehicle away from the dealership the day all those repairs were fixed, I noticed the "Check Coolant Level" on the DIC, and lo and behold there was a hairline crack in the Surge Tank, to $385 for repair (yes see the other thread of mine, where I was made fun of for spending so much, even though my reasoning was that I am not a mechanic...but I digress).

The rest, as you can see from this thread and others, is history. Now the front windows don't stop midway, even though the auto up and auto down work flawlessly (yes, I did reprogram them), both the single-slot CD and the CD changer are not functioning. I'm afraid every time I turn the key what is going to break next.

Why do I keep such a nightmare? Because I look at it, and when driving around town, and when the shimmy isn't an issue, I feel like King of the Road and absolutely love it. I would continue driving to Vancouver if I could. And it's just so gorgeous, I love the body style of this year (2003).

I have to decide at what point do I stop. Problem is if I were to sell it now, I'd lose almost every penny I put into it, and then some, although the Canadian BlackBook says this car with this many kms is worth about $5600 which we all know is probably wrong.

I will call Simply Tire ASAP and talk to them about the issues. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm in Toronto so it's no problem for me to get anywhere within about 100km, and since some people, like you said, drove from Montreal to go to Simply Tire, that's good enough for me.

More to follow....

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Odd. All 4 strut wires cut. If 1 or more struts was bad, why not just leave the harness alone? Dash message had not be addressed. So, just leave it. Cannot believe all 4 struts were bad

I'm glad you're taking up the suggestion of calling Allan at Simply Tire.
    He is extremely busy for a reason ... he's the best at what he does.

No, my 23 yr old Miata isn't winter driven. I simply brought our two convertibles out for fun one day this winter. The roads were dry, so they were both driven around the block.
    I love your 04 Grand Touring ... great color, and fully loaded, I see.
    One day, when I tire of my NA Miata, I will treat myself to the newer generation.
    But for now, the old 1991 BRG SE does the job.

Like yourself, I don't turn a wrench, and pay through the nose whenever I visit the GM dealership.
    I washed the engine one day, carefully covering the coils and plugs with plastic wrap.
    About a week later, the car stumbled (my 03 STS), and my DIC stated I was misfiring on one cylinder.
    I never associated the misfire with the engine wash (dumb), and thought I had some weird electrical gremlin that only the dealer could fix.
    I was scared of blowing my engine, so I bypassed my usual trusty mechanic and went over to the local GM dealer.
    They diagnosed bad coilpacks/cassettes (?), changed some parts and plugs, and billed me $1800.

Later, when I told my local mechanic, he laughed and said he would've removed the plugs, cleaned everything up, blow compressed air around the
    wet areas, and likely fixed me up for $100. Live and learn, I guess.

Good luck with your vibration issues .... at least Simply Tire has the proper knowledge of how to produce the correct numbers on Hunter machinery.

Here are the twins in the winter .... as I type this, both of them are outside, sunning themselves in proper 75 degree sunny weather.
    Last year, the Miata received fresh paint/clear, redyed tan leather, new top, and upgraded wheels. Next week, she gets a retro Nardi wood and chrome
    steering wheel.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    Am still curious about your disabled struts. So all 4 were cut? I would assume the stabilitrak would not work than? No individual wheel braking for skid avoidance? Heck, maybe ur abs did not work too? Or does the computer still try and control skids via braking but have no strut stiffness control for yaw control?
    I'm not sure what went on with the struts.
    The mechanic at the Kia dealership told me he looked into the Service Suspension message, and showed me that the struts were OEM, still worked, but
    were now effectively passive. There were no wires on the rear struts plugged in anywhere ... the mechanic had no idea if someone was trying to turn off
    the suspension warning by removing the wires?
    The car basically drove like an older Deville or SLS ... the ABS still worked, but your right, the Stabiltrak couldn't have worked.
    I was too impressed by the great paint job, perfect 17" chrome rims, Bose stereo, HID lights, Nav, and other toys to walk away.
    After about 6 months of ownership, I decided I would never be happy with the car, and the cost to fix the Magnaride would've been more than the
    car's value.
    I have no idea where or when someone decided to disable the Magnaride ... I'm guessing it was an incompetent attempt at defeating the warning message
    by someone.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    My car would be in the crusher if it wasnt for me buying it, and thanks to CCC and my love for it, she's still on the road 16 yrs later from when she left the Hamtramck plant in MI..

Tankboy40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 ETC (N* 120k)

post detail n tint 04.25.13.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    On that note, I wouldn't take $10K for mine either, probably not even $15K. Not would I trade it for another Seville with half the mileage. Considering what I have into it, all the major (and minor) parts that have been replaced, and the condition it's in, it just wouldn't make sense.
    My '93 ETC only has 112K or so on it, and even with the few dents/dings it has, I wouldnt sell it for any price. In fact, I just had the windows tinted and spent 200.00 getting it detailed. Since I didnt care for the med tan interior, I'm replacing mine with a black interior from a '99 ESC.

The only 2 things that are missing from my '93 that I wish I had would be the auto-wipers and a sunroof.

I can deal with not having to spend the $$ for another ETC for those small things.

Love those chrome cookie cutter wheels.
    Great looking, unique ride.
    Tankboy40 and Tankboy40 like this.

Tankboy40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 ETC (N* 120k)

Quote Originally Posted by ted tcb View Post
    Love those chrome cookie cutter wheels.
    Great looking, unique ride.
    Thanks

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

I can send you to a good honest mechanic in Bolton. He is not primarily into Cadillac, he is not doing AC or transmission or engine rebuilds (for our cars) but the regular alternator, brakes, bushings electrics, tires and such he does well. It is not cheap (actually is on the average to expensive side) and if there is something he doesn't do then he can send you to a good place.
    I also know another one in Etobicoke, but is more for quick easy fixes (the kind I do myself).
    For tires, if I need new tires I generally go to US, if I have a nail I do it myself, for balancing try Kippling Tires.
    Exhaust, I know the best guy in the field, if there is another one better, I don't need to know. Also the exhaust guy lives in the '70's price wise.
    You need TechII there is a place in Markham, they do Cadillacs but are not very good, and sometimes you need to tell them how to do it (if is a non standard thing).

It appears that the wheel balancing (not road force...yet) helped. I pushed her to 120 km/hr this afternoon on the highway, actually between 100 and 120 (technically I shouldn't have but wanted to test) and although not 110% gone, it is MUCH better than before. I am truly hoping that that was the cause of the problem, at least for now. There is still a slight vibration between 100 and 110 km/hr but seems to disappear completely past that. Car is riding fine for the moment, but I may still invest in new tires in the next few months, depending on how things go. In the meantime, this was the cheapest 'fix' I've done yet, for only $48 CA for the 4 wheels.

I'll update this thread if anything changes.
    ted tcb and ted tcb like this.

timman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 seville SLS

yep , I would replace the sway bar end link
    s. every caddy I had needed replacement , even though they seem tight and not loose or have any signs of being bad when up on the lift.
    Tankboy40 and Tankboy40 like this.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Sway bar links have nothing to do with vibration. If they're not worn/have no play, they're fine.

rayman3399 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black 2003 Cadillac Seville STS

Looks like BWV565 is selling his caddy, unless someone else is using his pics. Was checking Autotrader out a few minutes ago for any cheap Sevilles in Ontario and ran across an ad for a black 03 STS with a spoiler, remembered him just recently putting a spoiler on his black 03 Seville, looks like the same pic, too bad, hopefully he'll buy another Seville with less problems.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/CADILLAC/...howcpo=ShowCPO

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.