Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Agreed, stoveguyy. So I will see how the wheel balancing has helped (if it has) at highway speeds, and once ...
    bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Ford Mustang, 2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT

Re: Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake

Agreed, stoveguyy. So I will see how the wheel balancing has helped (if it has) at highway speeds, and once I get the CD player and power windows sorted out, I hope that'll be it for a while. Everything else is new, for crying out loud! LOL LOL LOL I truly love this car, every time I look at it I look back because I can't believe it's mine..it's just so beautiful (thanks again, Jesda, for that saying that in your YouTube review of your silver 2001 STS. LOL)
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

My 2002.5 STS is over 11 model years old and even at the present 64,000 miles I well know that in the not too distant future I may need to dump some big bucks into it. Not a problem - the car will receive all the attention it needs to stay on the road with all original equipment. Suppose it DOES cost $6,500 to fix it- (mind you, I have no inkling of what could/would/should/will go wrong) - the car is worth the time and money.

Show me what is comparable to this for $6,500 or so ................ bwv has the right idea - "If you like the car, keep it."

FWIW, I have a standing offer, right here on Kent Island, of $10,000 cash for the car. Turned it down 3 times so far.

bwv565, Are you able to "get out of town" and drive some long distance on open road at ~60+ mph ?? I ask because the GM service manual cautions a suspension vibration diagnosing tech to drive the car at least 10 miles before even beginning diagnosis with monitors and vibration meters ............ Some tires will "flat spot" after sitting for several days or after the car is put away with the tires hot after a highway run. The 10 mile run allows the tires to "round out' again.

Maybe not your vibration problem - just a thought. How does the car feel after 20 miles on the road ? Same vibration - and does the vibration decrease and increase rhythmically ? No two tires rotate at exactly the same speed - they go in and out of harmonic balance so a vibration that has spaced peaks and nulls may well be tire-related.

Thanks Submariner. Did you buy yours new or used? Also, off topic in this thread but of interest to me nonetheless, what do you use (which products) to keep the paint so incredibly shiny and like new? Looks beautiful.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409
    My 2002.5 STS is over 11 model years old and even at the present 64,000 miles I well know that in the not too distant future I may need to dump some big bucks into it. Not a problem - the car will receive all the attention it needs to stay on the road with all original equipment. Suppose it DOES cost $6,500 to fix it- (mind you, I have no inkling of what could/would/should/will go wrong) - the car is worth the time and money.

Show me what is comparable to this for $6,500 or so ................ bwv has the right idea - "If you like the car, keep it."

FWIW, I have a standing offer, right here on Kent Island, of $10,000 cash for the car. Turned it down 3 times so far.
    On that note, I wouldn't take $10K for mine either, probably not even $15K. Not would I trade it for another Seville with half the mileage. Considering what I have into it, all the major (and minor) parts that have been replaced, and the condition it's in, it just wouldn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    bwv565, Are you able to "get out of town" and drive some long distance on open road at ~60+ mph ?? I ask because the GM service manual cautions a suspension vibration diagnosing tech to drive the car at least 10 miles before even beginning diagnosis with monitors and vibration meters ............ Some tires will "flat spot" after sitting for several days or after the car is put away with the tires hot after a highway run. The 10 mile run allows the tires to "round out' again.

Maybe not your vibration problem - just a thought. How does the car feel after 20 miles on the road ? Same vibration - and does the vibration decrease and increase rhythmically ? No two tires rotate at exactly the same speed - they go in and out of harmonic balance so a vibration that has spaced peaks and nulls may well be tire-related.

That's really interesting. I personally can drive as many km/miles as I wish on the highway, which I plan on doing this weekend on my own. The tech last weekend definitely did NOT drive it for 10miles or more.

I've noticed that the shaking increases as the speed increases. Funny enough, at 100km/hr, it's fine but almost immediately at 101 and higher is when the problem starts. I am going to do what you suggest over the weekend and will get back to you on your questions.

I have to say that under 100km/h the car rides fantastically - just like a Cadillac and why I bought this car in the first place, I love the ride and driving it is just such a great experience.

Then again, I also love my Miata.

----------

Submariner, also, more than one person has said it's tire-related, and I cannot wait to test out the drive now that the balancing was done on Monday (mind you, it was not a road force balance yet...but was a good inexpensive way to start troubleshooting). Thanks for all the info.

Bought it used - after a search by a Cadillac dealership salesman neighbor - on 11/21/05 for $23,450 with 21,700 miles on it. The previous owner (Staten Island Cadillac dealer) and I spoke at length on 11/15, it was trucked to Annapolis and I bought it the afternoon of 11/21. Drove it to Gainesville, Florida - 831 miles - two days later.

I am partial to products - primarily Pinnacle, Wolfgang, and Menzerna - from www.autogeek.net. I use a PorterCable DA variable speed orbital buffer. (The fact that the car is garaged also helps)

Unfortunately, advancing hereditary rheumatoid arthritis is taking its toll, so my 8-hour paint detail days are numbered. BUT the teenager up the road is a willing student, and needs a few bucks, so he's under instruction.

That must have been a great trip. When I drive this STS I don't want to get out, I find myself taking the long way home and that's how I know I want to keep it...it's 'me'.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I like/use Presta products myself, and a Dewalt buffer. ~$400 between the buffer, wool and foam pads, and compounds/polishes..... But it can pay for itself once a few people ask you to polish their cars or remove scratches .

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

so sub paid 23k for a 21k mile car. and i just found a 19k mile car for 9k. but he got his 8 yrs ago. retail book for it is 9k. you could argue all day its worth more or less. depends on what you want to spend. this car has hid headlights. was that standard in 03 or an option?

Not sure if/when HID low beams became "standard" - they were an option in 2002 - mine came with halogens and I'm glad it did. The HID thing had to do with the dealer option package ordered at the time of restocking.

The RPO lists show 3 (?) option level packages for the (2002) STS - mine came with the middle level package and I'll bet the top level had HID.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Not sure if/when HID low beams became "standard" - they were an option in 2002 - mine came with halogens and I'm glad it did. The HID thing had to do with the dealer option package ordered at the time of restocking.

The RPO lists show 3 (?) option level packages for the (2002) STS - mine came with the middle level package and I'll bet the top level had HID.
    Mine has halogens so I don't think it was standard. The only other option mine seems to not have is TPMS.

Forgot about the silly TPMS also ........ another thing I'm glad it doesn't have. I trust a good dial pressure gauge far, far more than a go-no go TPMS. Right about now the batteries in all those millions of little transmitter systems are going bad .............
    bwv565 and bwv565 like this.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Both Cars I looked at had different wheels. One was 16" with smooth edge 7 spokes. The type you see on most sevilles of the era. The nicer car had the 17" 9 spoke rims? Polished vs chrome I think?

ted tcb is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

BWV, I feel your pain.
    Here are my long winded observations from my ownership of these great cars.

I've owned 5 FWD STS', they are my favourite style car of all time.
    I just got tired of chasing little gremlins ... if my STS wasn't running perfect, then I had to chase down every issue for peace of mind.
    On 3 of my STS' (1999, 2001, 2003), I experienced the 65mph shimmy.

The typical symptoms were smooth running in town, a vibration around 63mph to 70mph, and then smooth running above 70mph.
    I tried many fixes .... cleaning up the wheel hub surfaces, cleaning the rims, new tires, Road Force Balancing .... I basically stopped at replacing
    engine mounts as the costs didn't make sense for me, personally.

One fix that brought some relief on my 01 and 03 was taking the STS to my local dealer in Orillia, Jim Wilson Chev, who balanced and put old fashioned weights on the outside of the rims (as opposed to the stick on weights on the inside of the rim).
    The dreaded shimmy basically was masked. Hard to describe, I knew the imbalance was still there, buried deep down, but I no longer felt vibration in the seat or steering wheel.
    Interesting, I tried Hunter Road Force Balancing by looking up tire dealers in Barrie and Bracebridge, the closest to me. Both dealers swore that they were experienced with the RFB process, but neither one successfully fixed the shimmy. Expensive failures, both tire dealers said I had other mechanical issues, that the tires balanced true. That's when I gave up and put the old fashioned outside weights on the rims, which helped considerably.

Today, I take all my cars down to Simpy Tire in Toronto, at Keele and Finch.
    I only wish I had known about Allan's company when I owned my STS'. He has successfully fixed issues with my T Bird, Accord, Le Sabre, Civic,
    and Edge using the latest Hunter RFB technology.
    People on various enthusiast forums in Toronto swear by Simply Tire ... I just put 4 new Michelin Pilot A/S on my 2002 T Bird, and they transformed my
    car. In the waiting room, there were people from Montreal who had driven down to find the best. I was impressed when the techs showed my my car had
    the wrong angle lugnuts (which they replaced). I asked where the wheel weights were. Two tires required no weights, the other two had minimal weights,
    and they were hidden out of sight. Attention to detail, which isn't always easy to find.
    The owner is the first guy there in the AM, and stays long after everyone has gone home, answering emails.
    I have no affiliation with these guys, but I will easily drive many hours to get proper service once I've found someone who is the best in their field.

Like you, I also keep a bulletproof Miata in the garage ... a 1991 Special Edition. Fun cars that cost nothing to drive.
    I admire your tenacity in keeping a car that isn't always easy to love .... beautiful, but often times frustrating.

My issues with my 5 STS' were partially my own fault. Like Sub has often said, you can buy a good one or a cheap one.
    My 97 and 01 came from a GM dealer, and were decent cars with a few easy issues.
    I paid top dollar for those two cars.
    My 95, 99, and 03 came from non GM dealers. Traded in cars where the dealer made them look pretty but ignored the expensive fixes.
    I learned the hard way that I should've walked away rather than arrogantly thinking I could easily fix issues that the dealer chose not to.
    Perfect example, I badly wanted an 03 STS with Magnaride and factory Navigation.
    The magnaride wasn't working correctly, but the body was perfect.
    I bought the car from a Kia dealer, but the ride had defaulted to the soft position.
    After realizing there were no cheap fixes, I sold the car the next year ... I should've kept searching for a better car.

Here are a few pics of my STS' .... I had the bug bad, still do at times

The 2003 ... gorgeous cosmetics, but the Magnaride was missing electrical parts and was in the "soft mode". I was almost successful in eliminating the
    shimmy, but the soft default got to me. Great on the highway, but wallowed over undulating roads. Not the fault of GM, but the fault of whoever hacked
    around with the suspension at some point in time.

2001 STS ... great car, should've kept it. Yes, some shimmy issues, but lots of wheel weights mounted to the outside of the wheel lips made the car
    much more enjoyable to drive. Wish I'd discovered Simply Tire in Toronto when I owned these cars.

1999 STS ... I badly wanted the newer body style, and foolishly ignored the wheel imbalance on test drives that the small dealer could never fix.
    This car had big time balance issues ... I tried 3 different sets of wheels/tires, and nothing got rid of the imbalance. I likely needed to change out
    suspension pieces, front end items, engine mounts, etc. I gave up on it.

1995 STS ... no real problems, just little stuff. Should've kept it, an absolute rocket, and no wheel shimmy issues on the pre 1998 models.
    Fastest STS I've owned. I also love the chrome cookie cutter wheels. Very rare color combo of red over black leather.

1997 STS with tint and Vogue chrome wheels. Sharp looking car, no shimmy issues. Should've kept this one as well.

23 year old Miata, just keeps going and going..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.