Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by MoistCabbage Sometimes, what the car is worth just isn't the point. I know bwv's situation is different, ...
    bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Ford Mustang, 2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT

Re: Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Sometimes, what the car is worth just isn't the point. I know bwv's situation is different, but many owners of these cars (and other older luxury and performance cars) own them because they couldn't afford them new, or because they don't like any newer models any better (at least not the ones they can afford). Either way, they'll spend whatever is necessary to keep the cars running and driving as intended. Ask me, or N*Caddy what we've spent maintaining/repairing our $5K-$8K cars.
    I hear ya. Yes I cannot afford a new Caddy and actually you're also correct that I prefer this style to the RWD STS...as Jesda said in his YouTube video, it's just so beautiful! I know I got a money pit and yes I know I am not equipped with the skills, tools, space or time to repair things on my own, so I rely on what others tell me. I would LOVE to get another 100K km out of this car....but every time I turn on the ignition, something else is broken (e.g. CD players, windows, etc.).

For example, I would love to get 4 new tires (he said today that I could probably use 2 new ones in the next few months) but that'll be another $1K for the same Michelins (I am a Michelin fan so have no reason to change). There's also the issue of the cigarette lighters. Drives me crazy that they can't be fixed without major hassles and expense, but I totally understand the nature of this beast and have to accept it.

That said, MC, I do appreciate your information as well as all the others' help here, I've learned a lot. But it's tough to do this on my own, I would love to have one of you look at my car in person and then go to a mechanic with me. If anyone here is from the Toronto area and wants to volunteer....
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

tough call. you admit needing new tires but might get rid of car.

He told me I *MIGHT* need 2 new tires, that they were uneven. Depends on how the car rides on the highway since they did the balancing yesterday, but i won't be able to test it until the weekend.

Tankboy40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 ETC (N* 120k)

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    You didn't pay a diagnostic fee, and your car wasn't diagnosed, otherwise you'd have answers. He took it for a ride, fed you a load of BS, and told you the car wasn't worth it. In other words "Go away, I can make more money on other jobs".
    Agreed.

Find another "mechanic" this guy is full of crap and just doesnt want to work on your car anymore.

When you take it to another shop, take the mechanic for a ride and point out your concerns as they happen.

Then, watch them do their inspection, pay attention to what they do.

Report back to us with their findings.

The dealer doesnt I repeat DOESNT want to work on your car anymore.

Mr.electric is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville
    Rebuilding an older luxury car makes sense if you have another form of transportation. Being stuck with big repair bills just to keep getting to work is tiring. My 04' Deville is beautiful and well worth some decent money to fix. It is a replacement for previous extra fun cars I have owned. 76' BMW 2002, 67' jaguar 420, 86' lifted 4 runner , 92 Saab turbo convt etc. I usually make sure to have one dead reliable econo box in the fleet to allow for slow repairs on my fun car.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    My Seville is my daily driver. When it gets cranky, I have the Vigor (that probably sounds backwards).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.electric View Post
    Rebuilding an older luxury car makes sense if you have another form of transportation. Being stuck with big repair bills just to keep getting to work is tiring. My 04' Deville is beautiful and well worth some decent money to fix. It is a replacement for previous extra fun cars I have owned. 76' BMW 2002, 67' jaguar 420, 86' lifted 4 runner , 92 Saab turbo convt etc. I usually make sure to have one dead reliable econo box in the fleet to allow for slow repairs on my fun car.
    I take public transportation to work most of the time but in bad weather or when I'm just late, etc. I drive (it's only 3km from home). I also have an '04 Miata GT that is as reliable as the STS is unreliable. However living in this part of the country, and particularly in view of this past winter, I cannot use that car from about late November until March, plus it's a 2-seater with limited storage/cargo capability.

Again, I really wish I had someone like one of you guys locally who could do this with me and advise me better, IN PERSON, what you would do. That's why I was also looking to see if there is a local Cadillac Owners Group (like a meetup.com kind of thing), but, alas, couldn't find one.

----------

@Tankboy40, why would a dealer not want my business? Isn't it income for them, and the more that goes wrong, the more $$ in their pockets? Not sure I understand that way of thinking, but hey, my head is spinning about this car and causing me to lose sleep. LOL

rayman3399 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black 2003 Cadillac Seville STS

Weird I have the exact same car as bwv565, 2003 Black Seville STS, I also live near Toronto and I have about 160,000kms on it and have owned it since 2004. I've never had any mechanical problems with it, the only problem I've had is the engine mounts needs to be replaced once a few years ago and the rear passenger window regulator cable seems to be broken and probably needs to be replaced (might have to go on Ebay to find a used one as new ones cost around $500) but other than that it runs nice and smooth like a Cadillac should, best car I have ever owned, no shaking, vibrations ever. Prefer this body style to the newer model STS/CTS's and hopefully can keep it running for another 10 years. Good luck bwv565, hopefully you won't have to get rid of your car, if I was as mechancially inclined as some of the experts on here I would offer to go with you but I probably wouldn't be of much help.

@rayman: check your inbox.

Mr.electric is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville
    I drive about 7 miles to work through the heart of San Francisco. Take my Yamaha Zuma scooter about 3 days a week. I pass dozens of cars on each block as I cruze to the front of the line and wait for the light to turn green. We pile the kids and the dog in the Cadi and go out on weekends.
    When I need to go somewhere on the freeway to do some errands I usually take my Honda Fit. Still miss my 92 fleetwood brougham d'elegance. That was a rwd 350 powered gem. It was just to old after a while.
    I turned over a new leaf after owning a 67' jaguar and decided to stay away from anything over 20 years old. Also started spending less money on my fun car. I try to only do long involved work on other people's cars and charge them for it.

Tankboy40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 ETC (N* 120k)

Quote Originally Posted by bwv565 View Post

[/COLOR]@Tankboy40, why would a dealer not want my business? Isn't it income for them, and the more that goes wrong, the more $$ in their pockets? Not sure I understand that way of thinking, but hey, my head is spinning about this car and causing me to lose sleep. LOL
    Because there are some cars that just make mechanics cringe, and its not make or model... its certain cars in particular...

Seems counter-intuitive, but I've seen it more than once (as a former auto repair shop manager)
    orconn and orconn like this.

@Tankboy, thanks. This car had been serviced at the dealership that I was talking about at the start of this thread, and they knew the car for a few years. Perhaps based on their experience that is why they told me it's a hopeless cause.

I have to say, however, that the balancing that was done a couple of days ago HAS made a difference. I would like to get the CD fixed and have started looking on eBay for replacements but as I don't know if it's the head unit, the changer/magazine, or just the optical head that needs replacing. To have that diagnosed, it's $112 plus 13% tax. Found the head unit on eBay for $100 and the changer for $40.
    Tankboy40 and Tankboy40 like this.

RetiredSFC 97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS

I know there's a rule of thumb on when to quit spending money on a car people may go by.

But what if that guy never put any money into that 69 Camaro? Or the 63 Split window vette? Or that 1957 Cadillac? My point is

How much will it cost to replace the "entire" car versus reparing what you have if you like the car? What more will you have if you replace it? A car that you will have to make the very same decisions on in 5 or ten years after you've already put tens of thousands into it paying for it and maintaining it. That is what you will have if you replace the car and those are the rules I livbe by. I don't replace a vehicle unless I just want to move on to anothercar/vehicle.

Personally my days of spending thousands of dollars on a car just to have to decide if I will repair it are over. I can repair a car completely 5 times for what a new one costs and if I buy used, I'm right back where I started.
    Tankboy40 and Tankboy40 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97 View Post
    I know there's a rule of thumb on when to quit spending money on a car people may go by.

But what if that guy never put any money into that 69 Camaro? Or the 63 Split window vette? Or that 1957 Cadillac? My point is

How much will it cost to replace the "entire" car versus reparing what you have if you like the car? What more will you have if you replace it? A car that you will have to make the very same decisions on in 5 or ten years after you've already put tens of thousands into it paying for it and maintaining it. That is what you will have if you replace the car and those are the rules I livbe by. I don't replace a vehicle unless I just want to move on to anothercar/vehicle.

Personally my days of spending thousands of dollars on a car just to have to decide if I will repair it are over. I can repair a car completely 5 times for what a new one costs and if I buy used, I'm right back where I started.
    And therein lies the rub. The bottom line: I love the car.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    True. But nice 03 Sts cars are hard to find. I did find a 19k unit for $9k. And a 130k unit for $4k. I sort of extrapolated finding another newer DTS with 19k miles. Heck you would have to look at a 2010 or 2011 for avg 19k miles and no way would it be $9k.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.