Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Mafiaman111 did anyone think of a simple alignment would solve the steering wheel shake ------------------------------------- an alignment ...
    basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake

Quote Originally Posted by Mafiaman111 View Post
    did anyone think of a simple alignment would solve the steering wheel shake
    -------------------------------------
    an alignment will NOT solve a shake or vibration -
    Tankboy40 and Tankboy40 like this.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

funny. a new set of tires is cheaper than 1 f55 strut. a vibration is different than looseness that you can feel in steering. vibration is probably due to bad tire or bent wheel. if you turn steering wheel quickly you can feel worn parts. inner/outer tie rods. maybe a bad rack. have front end checked by an independent garage. check alignment. are all tires wearing evenly? than inspect steering column for worn or loose u-joints.

bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Ford Mustang, 2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    funny. a new set of tires is cheaper than 1 f55 strut. a vibration is different than looseness that you can feel in steering. vibration is probably due to bad tire or bent wheel. if you turn steering wheel quickly you can feel worn parts. inner/outer tie rods. maybe a bad rack. have front end checked by an independent garage. check alignment. are all tires wearing evenly? than inspect steering column for worn or loose u-joints.
    The tires, I was told, are ok, and none of the wheels are bent. Every now and then, when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left (like making a U-turn, for example), there is a grinding type of sound in the wheel/steering column, but it only happens with a very sharp full turn to the left, otherwise it doesn't make any sounds. I imagine this has something to do with worn parts, thereby giving the mechanic reason to tell me that it's the steering column that in fact does need replacement. The tie rod was just replaced in February (by a dealer), not sure about rack. Alignment was also performed in February (at same time as new brakes/rotors/pads/engine mount). I'm so confused my head is spinning, and how do I know who is telling me the true story?

I'm going to speak to the mechanic at the garage across the street from me who told me that they are experienced in working on N* Caddys, although they do not have a road force balancing machine. I only wish I had someone to go with me who knows about these things and can help me figure out who is giving me the right information...or if I should get rid of the car.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I would start with a road force balance, and while the rims are off, use a wire brush to remove any corrosion from the rim/rotor/hub mating surfaces.
    Tankboy40 and Tankboy40 like this.

You should change ur info. North America is vague. Not that anyone is stalking you. So car rides fine at at speeds under 55mph?

I left the vehicle with Green Ross across the street from me. They are certified and they work on Caddys like this one all the time. They are going to do a thorough front end check and give me a second opinion. While they don't have a road force machine, he told me they have the latest technology balancing equipment. They will look at tires, wheels, balance, everything and give me a rundown for minimal cost, in terms of diagnosis and balancing. Depending on what they find, I'll take it from there. I feel like it's my child having open-heart surgery.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    You should change ur info. North America is vague. Not that anyone is stalking you. So car rides fine at at speeds under 55mph?
    The car rides like a Cadillac STS should at anything under about 112 km/hour, no shakes, no vibrations, nothing. Smooth as can be, fast, quiet, a true pleasure to drive.

Oh, and tell them you don't want to replace the $600 each struts.

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy
    Oh, and tell them you don't want to replace the $600 each struts.
    They have been advised not to do any repairs other than balancing without first contacting me.

Well I meant to imply that struts are probably ok. But not a certainty. Parts do fail. I am sure you don't want to pay to replace them and find little or no change in ride. Usually you get a service suspension message and car rides fine but elec portion of strut is bad and only way to fix it is replace it. You have no messages. But you do have f55 stuff which is nice and the stabilitrak is tied into "system"

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy
    Well I meant to imply that struts are probably ok. But not a certainty. Parts do fail. I am sure you don't want to pay to replace them and find little or no change in ride. Usually you get a service suspension message and car rides fine but elec portion of strut is bad and only way to fix it is replace it. You have no messages. But you do have f55 stuff which is nice and the stabilitrak is tied into "system"
    Exactamundo. Would the fact that at speeds under 110km/hr have no vibration issues be a good sign? I would think that if a major problem existed it would be consistent, regardless of speed. You SURE you don't want to make a trip to Toronto to help me out? The weather is nice now. )

That's right around the speed that the shimmy usually occurs in these cars.

You don't have a major problem.

Many folks replace tires and get no relief. Son bought 08 Infiniti G35 with crappy tires. He knew car was supposed to ride nice since all his friends like them. He got new tires and car is super smooth.

Mr.electric is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville
    I know it can upset others on the forum when I say this but I would just ignore the vibration. As long as your safety items are ok
    - bearings
    - tires
    - ball joints
    - have I forgotten something?
    I have seen people spend thousands trying to pin down vibrations on luxury cars.
    Ex: my friend spent $2000 getting rubber mounts and rear drive shafts done on a 92 Lexus LS 400 to address a vibration only to find out the car is only worth $2000 for the whole car!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.electric View Post
    I know it can upset others on the forum when I say this but I would just ignore the vibration. As long as your safety items are ok
    - bearings
    - tires
    - ball joints
    I have seen people spend thousands trying to pin down vibrations on luxury cars.
    Ex: my friend spent $2000 getting rubber mounts and rear drive shafts done on a 92 Lexus LS 400 to address a vibration only to find out the car is only worth $2000 for the whole car!
    Doesn't upset me at all, and in fact I appreciate it. I have thought about what if it's not possible to fix the problem. The car isn't worth more than your friend's Lexus, probably.

Today I had the mechanic across the street do a balance and he inspected the wheels, rotors, brakes, etc and he said that 2 of the tires are 'getting there' but in the meantime he did the balancing, and as soon as I can get on the highway to test it out I'll have a better idea.

He told me that if this didn't do the trick, and it turns out to indeed be the steering column, then there's no point in buying new tires. BTW I have Michelin Primacy MXV4s on the car; he said they're at least 5 years old.

Now I need to get the CD players fixed, as well as the power windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.electric
    - bearings
    - tires
    - ball joints
    Sometimes, what the car is worth just isn't the point. I know bwv's situation is different, but many owners of these cars (and other older luxury and performance cars) own them because they couldn't afford them new, or because they don't like any newer models any better (at least not the ones they can afford). Either way, they'll spend whatever is necessary to keep the cars running and driving as intended. Ask me, or N*Caddy what we've spent maintaining/repairing our $5K-$8K cars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.