Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; All solvable problems & nothing dangerous. Why they say steering column is beyond me without checking the frt suspension out. ...
    rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    All solvable problems & nothing dangerous. Why they say steering column is beyond me without checking the frt suspension out. You may have worn parts and be in need of tire balance, time for second opinion. When they do say they find a problem make them show you what they find... That way you can learn and verify the problem
    Tankboy40 and Tankboy40 like this.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Ford Mustang, 2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT

Re: Outcome of dealer service visit today re: steering wheel shake

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling much better. At least I know as a starting point that I don't have to get rid of the car, that these issues are resolvable. I don't have lots of money but want it to be as perfect as possible, realizing of course that it's 10 years old with lots of miles. And yes I agree it should go for another 100K miles.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Are you able to do any work on it yourself?
    If you are I would first rotate the tires front to rear. You will be able to see for yourself what shape the entire wheel is in, and rule out the tire as a source of the shake in the front. While it is up on jack you can grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o-clock and try to jiggle each one side to side and see if you can make it move and possibly make a noise. If you hear a noise, have a friend wiggle the tire and go under and see if you can find what part is making the noise, or is loose/moving. If you don't know what part it is, post a photo for us to identify.

At some point if you own an old car, you have to start working on it yourself. If physically able. Otherwise it will cost you a fortune. No one here was born with the ability to do this work, we all learned by trial and error and with the help of friends. The people here can walk you through anything if you are willing and able.

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Are you able to do any work on it yourself?
    If you are I would first rotate the tires front to rear. You will be able to see for yourself what shape the entire wheel is in, and rule out the tire as a source of the shake in the front. While it is up on jack you can grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o-clock and try to jiggle each one side to side and see if you can make it move and possibly make a noise. If you hear a noise, have a friend wiggle the tire and go under and see if you can find what part is making the noise, or is loose/moving. If you don't know what part it is, post a photo for us to identify.

At some point if you own an old car, you have to start working on it yourself. If physically able. Otherwise it will cost you a fortune. No one here was born with the ability to do this work, we all learned by trial and error and with the help of friends. The people here can walk you through anything if you are willing and able.
    Unfortunately I haven't the space, the tools or the skills to do this. Now I'm depressed again.

Chin up, half my life repairs were curb side/parking lot with a floor jack that I carried in the house or chucked in the trunk. I've used the factory jack to check stuff also, just don't crawl under it without jack stands.

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    Chin up, half my life repairs were curb side/parking lot with a floor jack that I carried in the house or chucked in the trunk. I've used the factory jack to check stuff also, just don't crawl under it without jack stands.
    Thanks for being decent and going easy on me. Many others aren't as kind around here! I'll figure it all out soon. Thanks for the moral support.

Mr.electric is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville
    Another shop will probably take on repairing your vehicle with no complaints. I just replaced one strut on my 04' Deville and the loud clunk on bumps from that corner is gone.
    The shimmy at speed could be something as simple as a wheel weight coming unglued and flying off.
    I bet any shop that is good with GM vehicles could fix your Seville. Most of the suspension parts on my Deville cross over into other GM vehicles probably the same goes for your vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.electric View Post
    Another shop will probably take on repairing your vehicle with no complaints. I just replaced one strut on my 04' Deville and the loud clunk on bumps from that corner is gone.
    The shimmy at speed could be something as simple as a wheel weight coming unglued and flying off.
    I bet any shop that is good with GM vehicles could fix your Seville. Most of the suspension parts on my Deville cross over into other GM vehicles probably the same goes for your vehicle.
    That's so great to hear. Curious, though, how much did the strut set you back? Did you do it yourself? It sounds like you think it may not be necessary to go to a GM dealer but just someone with good Cadillac/GM experience. Film at 11.

Thank you!!!!!!

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Your struts are NOT cheap. F55 MagnaRide dampers are not available from the after market, and there is no work around for installing passive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Your struts are NOT cheap. F55 MagnaRide dampers are not available from the after market, and there is no work around for installing passive ones.
    Can a non dealer get and install these or is it best to go to the horse's mouth? (presuming that's the problem of course)

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Yes, but they're not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Yes, but they're not the problem.
    Ok I'll check it out during the week.

You are going to pay a premium at the dealer for labor, prob parts will be similar but can carry greatly from shop to shop regardless of dealer/noon dealer.
    Something like shock/struts is pretty hard to dork up so most shops can do. Even basic suspension work/steering system is basic on these. Electronics and engine repair is where shops unless they have experience with Cadillacs can be troublesome

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    You are going to pay a premium at the dealer for labor, prob parts will be similar but can carry greatly from shop to shop regardless of dealer/noon dealer.
    Something like shock/struts is pretty hard to dork up so most shops can do. Even basic suspension work/steering system is basic on these. Electronics and engine repair is where shops unless they have experience with Cadillacs can be troublesome
    I need someone like you to go with me so I don't get ripped off........again.

Mafiaman111 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Eldorado 173000 miles Black on Black

did anyone think of a simple alignment would solve the steering wheel shake

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.