eldorado 98 dash sound - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, eldorado 98 dash sound in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by MoistCabbage The blend doors are vacuum operated in the OPs car. They wouldn't make a continuous noise. ...
    mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Re: eldorado 98 dash sound

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The blend doors are vacuum operated in the OPs car. They wouldn't make a continuous noise.
    No, they are electronic blend door actuators. Mode door actuators are vacuum powered, but controlled by an electronic switching module.

And from my experience, they can get noisy.

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Judging from my experience, if it is a problem with the blend doors it will usually set a code. Try pulling the codes (see the sticky at the top of this forum) and posting them here along with the definitions.

You might want to check for someone's head "beatboxing" inside your glove compartment first.

N*Caddy is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Guys, a squeaky door still opens and close as it should, is just making noise; that's it. Do not expect any code, it still works, it still controls the air mix as it always did.

I occasionally hear a 'fluttering' noise in my dash and I have intermittent codes relating to the blend door actuators.

If you have a vacuum leak, the blend door will not move properly, thus you get a code.
    If there is no vacuum leak, and all you hear is a squeak of the door as it move then you won't get a code.
    You have to make distinction between the kind of noise you hear, squeak or hiss.

Mine was like a bird flapping its wings under the dash for a couple of seconds rather than a hiss. I'm not an expert on it by any means, I just know it set a code.

eldorado_sean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98' Eldorado ESC
    My dash vents doesn't work properly either... when I turn on the fan on any mode or strength it ONLY flows to the front windshield defroster. I checked it about 3 times after I noticed and its the same. And to all ^^^^ this weekend ill take the glovebox out to find the source of the sound

The front defrost is the DEFAULT position if you have no vacuum. So is 100% sure in your case is a vacuum leak.
    Before removing the glove box make sure your supply vacuum line (on the right side of the car going to the firewall) is intact, has no leak and the valve is mounted correctly (it only goes one way).

So right now I took out the glovebox and I tried to listen but the sound went away... I'm very stumped I'm not familiar with this stuff where is the vaccum line I should check and should I take another video/ pictures?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwku...e_gdata_player that thing at the top is making the sound. My dad told me that the blower motor doesn't have enough power or somethings jamming it.

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    The front defrost is the DEFAULT position if you have no vacuum. So is 100% sure in your case is a vacuum leak.
    Before removing the glove box make sure your supply vacuum line (on the right side of the car going to the firewall) is intact, has no leak and the valve is mounted correctly (it only goes one way).
    Read it?

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado_sean View Post
    Read it?
    ---------------------------
    actually -
    YOU ruled out ANY possibility of the sound having anything to do with vacuum -
    a long time ago -
    starting with post #12 -
    Key on engine off -YES

verified on post #22 -
    Ignition on engine off - yes

verified again on post #28
    Key on engine off- yes

if the engine is OFF - there is no vacuum -

Whatever I said is the pure truth and what ever I said its what's happening. I just know that my vents are not working AND that thing on the top of the blower motor is making the sound I've been hearing. And any suggestions of what this is? And on post #28 I said engine on climate control off- yes

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Oh for crying out loud... we could have saved 2 pages of back-and-forth. As I mentioned long ago, and N* mentioned again, that part in your video is 1 of the 2 electronic blend door actuators. The blend doors on these cars are ELECTRONIC, not vacuum.

If you have problems with air not coming out the correct vents, then that is a separate issue all together. Mode doors are vacuum actuated, controlled through the HVAC controller (right on firewall to the right of the duct in your video above). That box has electric valves to switch vacuum to the different doors. So the problem could be a loss of vacuum to the HVAC control box, or it could be the box itself. Broken manifold vac lines are very common issue and will affect the parking brake release as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mhamilton View Post
    ...Broken manifold vac lines are very common issue and will affect the parking brake release as well.
    I realize this thread is not about a parking brake release, but the 98 Eldorado parking brake release must be different from the 98 Seville, since the 98 Seville release is a solenoid.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.