1997 STS questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1997 STS questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 1997 STS. Yesterday it started to overheat a lil bit, but then i noticed my cooling fans ...
    tezepremillz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 CADILLAC SEVILLE

1997 STS questions

I have a 1997 STS. Yesterday it started to overheat a lil bit, but then i noticed my cooling fans wouldn't come on. What would make my coolings fans not come on i changed the fuse they still didn't come on. So i've decided i'd just change the cooling sensor and the cooling fans and the thermostat. Is all of this neccessary? also where is the thermostat and cooling sensor on this car?. no negative comments please. Also i turned the heat on to cool it off, the car stopped over heating and went to normal tempture, then i turned the heat off and it stayed at normal tempture

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 1997 cadillac sts questions

Don't throw parts at it hoping one will stick.

The fans don't come on until about 224 degrees (or anytime the A/C is commanded on) . How hot did you get? Fans are controlled by the PCM, not a thermostat.
    Attached Images
    TMS and TMS like this.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

The fan relays are suspect, not sure where they are on your model, but prob on rad back side down low.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Check your coolant level. The surge tank is not supposed to be filled to the top. You should see coolant inside tank though. If you turn on a/c, do fans run?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Answered in your other thread. Please do not double post. It just makes it hard for us to follow and help.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

from lounge. Best of luck.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    The fan relays are suspect, not sure where they are on your model, but prob on rad back side down low.
    Do you know for certain just where the temp gauge was in his description of "overheat a lil bit" ???

What if his coolant temp was 215 degrees ? That's 9 degrees BEFORE fans go to SLOW but enough to move the "gauge" a "lil bit".

Too many people go paranoid if a "gauge" actually moves - like it's supposed to ............. What would you do if you saw your oil pressure go from 15 psi to 60 psi and back down in one city block ???

IF the relays are either bad or have poor connections, I believe yours are on a rack down low by the lower part of the fan shroud.

I got it put on a machine and it said cooling fan malfunction/relay. it is the relay i just need to change it. idk how

This is his third identical post - merged with the original.

Please DO NOT multiple post the same problem in different forums. Once more and you earn a vacation. Please go up to Site News and the Help Desk and read the CF Rules and Guidelines.

The car has 3 relays - Fan 1, Fan 2, and FAST/SLOW (series/parallel).

tezepremillz, your car has its own built-in code scanner/reader/memory. Study the sticky post just above ^^^ - "How to pull codes" - use the proper sequence for your car, model, year. Then use this and its links to decipher code meanings, and post it all here. Use the P link as well as the B, C, and U links to decipher all codes you found. http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/
    TMS and TMS like this.

Re: 1997 STS questions

Opened for use ...........

1997 cadillac sts questions tune up

hi, I have a 1997 cadillac sts seville northstar engine. I wanted to know how to change the spark plugs. what all will i need to change the spark plugs, Is just spark plugs and boots?. Also, when you buy spark plugs for your specific model car. Do they come pregrapped?

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

Re: 1997 cadillac sts questions tune up

use delco plugs only. if you change plugs on a 97, you should change wires due to age. unless you can verify they are not original wires. take off silver beauty engine cover. yank all plug wires. take off strut tower brace. take off coil pack. its not hard. only 4 bolts. take out plugs. reverse. do not throw away plastic wire sheathing. it keeps wires routed properly. when you take off beauty cover, take a mental pic of where plug wires are routed. or use a camera. it can be confusing snaking wires around things.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

OP, you've now posted 9 threads in several different forums, on the same topic.

Stop posting identical threads over and over and over. It doesn't help you to get the answers you want, and it makes the forum fractured and cluttered up. Post one thread in the proper forum and you will get all the help you need.

The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

TMS
    TMS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Seville STS

I don't know if the OP is getting anything out of this, (I hope so) but I know I am. The temperature graphic and when the cooling fans come on and at what temps/speeds answered a question of two for me, also snagged Subs schematic. Thanks guys, you're aces.

The OP just earned himself a week vacation by continuing to post multiple threads on the same question in different forums.

tezepremillz, use your vacation time to study the various Forums, the CF Rules and Guidelines, and the Cadillac Technical Archive. Cleaning up your leftovers has become time-consuming for several staff members. Thanks for the consideration.

TMS, Go up ^^^ to the Community tab, Albums. Click on my two - the red Seville. 116 pictures, diagrams, tables for our cars and engines. But remember: Your 1995 is an OBD1 car/engine, different from the OBD-II 1996 and later, and different from 2000 (roller cams) and later.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.