Just got my first caddy!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Just got my first caddy! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; it's a sts 1998. I think I have my work cut out for me. sounds like a lot of gremlins ...
    rocket23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 sts

Cool Just got my first caddy!

it's a sts 1998. I think I have my work cut out for me. sounds like a lot of gremlins are gonna pop up from here on out. I have a current b 1009 code, r/r the module I guess. r/s fog lamp needs mending, it doesn't work,hood lamp as well doesn't work. ( I checked the bulb all is fine) must be a sticky ball bearing or switch?? Anyways, I just waxed her for the first time, and used tire black on the front headlamps, guess what?! It really worked, the lens 's are as clear as the first year they were on the car! Gonna be hard to get use to a true luxery performance car. but I think I can handle it.
    I paid 1900.00$ for a sexy STS deep metallic red, with 152k on the clock..............my first question is when will the water pump go? lol. saw a you tube on it, I think I'd pay the neighborhood mechanic to help me with that one!,lol. any thing I should know about this car? The trunk,sunroof an third brake light are dry an looks as thou little,if any,water got in side. I do need a slider button for the rear control.......rear of front console.( Had to of been a foot), Other than some small cancer bubblin up the car is tip top. I'm happy she looks as well as she does for what I paid for her.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Just got my first caddy!

Welcome aboard !!!

Please do NOT use "creative spelling" to get around the forum word filters. Go up to the top black bar and study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive. Then go to the Help Desk and read the Forum Rules and Guidelines. Read all the sticky posts at the top of this forum threads list, as well as those in Discussions, Cadillac Tech Tips and in Engines, Northstar Performance.

Your water pump may last well into the 200 Kmile range or it may go tomorrow morning - just like any other engine on earth. The water pump drive belt tensioner pulley/bearing is another story. Find out how to change it and do it soon. When they fail and freeze up it takes out other difficult, expensive parts. It's all in Cadillac Tech Tips - many pages of threads of interest.

One way to find threads of interest in here is to Google "cadillac forums northstar water pump replacement" or any other item of interest, always preceded by "cadillac forums ....................".

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by rocket23 View Post
    hood lamp as well doesn't work.
    Hood lamp only works with the headlamps on (maybe parking lamps, not sure on that one).

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Welcome aboard !!!

Please do NOT use "creative spelling" to get around the forum word filters. Go up to the top black bar and study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive. Then go to the Help Desk and read the Forum Rules and Guidelines. Read all the sticky posts at the top of this forum threads list, as well as those in Discussions, Cadillac Tech Tips and in Engines, Northstar Performance.

Your water pump may last well into the 200 Kmile range or it may go tomorrow morning - just like any other engine on earth. The water pump drive belt tensioner pulley/bearing is another story. Find out how to change it and do it soon. When they fail and freeze up it takes out other difficult, expensive parts. It's all in Cadillac Tech Tips - many pages of threads of interest.

One way to find threads of interest in here is to Google "cadillac forums northstar water pump replacement" or any other item of interest, always preceded by "cadillac forums ....................".
    It really is called ''FUKKEN WAX'' , imported from Germany. I get it thru Canada at 15 bucks a can. Look it up.
    I have other issues that nudged there way in front of a water pump .
    not only do I have a few lights out, but the right side rear brake assembly is sticking. ( emergency brake was applied ) and it will not release. also when I gun the motor I get a whole lot of nothing.....hesitation just refuses too rev. ....It will; if I baby the gas peddle. Hard too tell but it's a computer glitch at the very least. So what can I do in the drive way and what do I save for the mechanic shop?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Hood lamp only works with the headlamps on (maybe parking lamps, not sure on that one).
    Now that was an easy fix! Thanks ranger!,lol.

This may seem like I'm posting too myself, but it is an honest chronology of the work I'm doing with this car.
    I replaced the spark plugs today.....autolite 104's the electrode was different then what I pulled out?!
    The splash pan (for lack of a better term) was discarded today....I broke a few of the plastic spread pins while removing it
    I doubt that will matter come resale In about a year's time. But at least the r/s fog lamp was repaired The bulb was completely shattered just the filament was left,
    Car had evidence of respray on the splash pan.
    Next I will try an tackle the emergency brake issue on the rear right side. It's sticking In my zeal too secure the car on the trailer when I bought it I slammed on the emergency brake, which hadn't been used for years I imagine....... Any clue as too what I might expect from the rear brake assembly??

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

I replaced the spark plugs today.....autolite 104's
    those are the WRONG plugs -
    you should only use Delco plugs in a Northstar motor -

The splash pan (for lack of a better term) was discarded today
    that SPLASH PAN is actually an air deflector -
    without it - you will probably overheat -
    so go get it - and put it back on - IMMEDIATELY -

I broke a few of the plastic spread pins while removing it
    go to the HELP rack in the big parts stores -
    you will find replacements -

Any clue as too what I might expect from the rear brake assembly
    if you are lucky - it is just a stuck cable -

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    I replaced the spark plugs today.....autolite 104's
    those are the WRONG plugs -
    you should only use Delco plugs in a Northstar motor -
    It was the cheaper of the two....if I throw a code I'll spend the coin.
    The splash pan (for lack of a better term) was discarded today
    that SPLASH PAN is actually an air deflector -
    without it - you will probably overheat -
    so go get it - and put it back on - IMMEDIATELY -
    I will probably overheat anyways......water vapor out the tailpipe
    I broke a few of the plastic spread pins while removing it
    go to the HELP rack in the big parts stores -
    you will find replacements -
    It's discarded behind my shed,I'll get the pins that can be removed without the hassle. and reinstall.
    Any clue as too what I might expect from the rear brake assembly
    if you are lucky - it is just a stuck cable -
    yes it was.......Next is motor vehicle......I ran it for 20 minutes temps stayed normal...........I'll shut the heater off and see whats what, by then it should have tags on her. At 152k what are my options......right now there are no codes, just water vapor out the rear tails. fresh gas, and some sweat equity. I think a motor swap would be cheaper than a head gasket job.I know I can't do it in my drive way, so it will be at the mercy of a good mechanic that wants the work. I have a few in mind, When I researched the car I googled the year and make an model.......edmunds had it as the most reliable car caddy made that year.I think they were wrong......seeing from all that I read here an there............not bashing by any means, just wasn't expecting serious motor work history with these engines.........oh well I have it now, so might as well make the best out of it, .......for right now.

Sold the caddy for close too what I bought it for. Head gaskets.............I'll be riding my k-100 for the summer. Peace.

finerwoodworking is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003Cadillac Seville STS 75,000k

Quote Originally Posted by rocket23 View Post
    Sold the caddy for close too what I bought it for. Head gaskets.............I'll be riding my k-100 for the summer. Peace.
    Ok... well that was quick. He did all this in less than a week.
    I wonder how he knew that the problem was the head gaskets?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You sold a '98 STS with over 150K and HG issues for close to $1,900? Did you tell the new owner that there was an HG issue, and that it's a $2,500+ repair?

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    He never really knew if he had a problem. At least he didn't raise the price 1000

Gonjafishing is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Seville SLS 4.6L 32V North*
    There is a sucker born everyday.... Hope he really liked the seville and didn care if it needed a new engine. If not he will be in for a rude awakening

I wonder how long it will be before we see another new member -
    with a '98 STS - deep metallic red, with 152k on the clock -
    that has a B1009 code -
    and a fresh ''FUKKEN WAX'' job -

Gonjafishing is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Seville SLS 4.6L 32V North*
    No codes 78 thousand miles hand wax only

Quote Originally Posted by Gonjafishing View Post
    No codes 78 thousand miles hand wax only
    -------------------------
    well then - you are NOT the guy -

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.