'97 Eldorado Rear End Squeaking Like Crazy Down the Road
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, '97 Eldorado Rear End Squeaking Like Crazy Down the Road in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My Eldorado has been squeaking like crazy down the road. Every bump, pothole, or irregularity makes the rear end squeak. ...
    NTL1991 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado - Polo Green Metallic

'97 Eldorado Rear End Squeaking Like Crazy Down the Road

My Eldorado has been squeaking like crazy down the road. Every bump, pothole, or irregularity makes the rear end squeak. It sounds like it's mainly coming from the rear right, but could be both sides. It also happens when you bounce the rear end of the car. I took a video to demonstrate.

Anyone have the same squeak?

Thanks,
    Nick

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Re: '97 Eldorado Rear End Squeaking Like Crazy Down the Road

The most common cause of this is the ball joints in the knuckle.

Mafiaman111 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Eldorado 173000 miles Black on Black

i have the same problem, so i changed my knuckle bushing, it helped the car feel more stable and it lessened the noise by 70 percent but its still somewhat there, im convinced its the control arm bushings now

2kflhr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade, '97 Eldorado ETC, '97 SS Camaro

Usually the control arm bushing and/or sway bar bushings

I replaced the rear air shocks about 250 miles ago. The squeaking has been there quite a bit before that, but dropping the control arms fully down to get the shocks in might have upset the bushings as well. The car was sagging a bit in the rear for about a year before I put the new rear air shocks in, I'm sure that didn't help the bushings either. Last time I checked for play I didn't have a bit anywhere. I've got to check that again and try to spray some white lithium grease in the bushings to see if it changes the sound. The car seems to drive fine with no shimmy or anything like that. I haven't driven another Eldorado so I'm not sure what to compare it with. I'll have to visually check the bushings out. Once I remove the knuckles, can the old bushings be pressed out and the new pressed in? Could a bench vice press the old out (maybe with heat?) like we would with u-joints back in the day, or will I have to drop them off at a shop to use a hydraulic press?

I just spent the day buffing the car out with some compound and polish, then waxing it, but as nice as the car looks, it squeaks like a beat up 25 year old Honda...

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NTL1991 View Post
    Once I remove the knuckles, can the old bushings be pressed out and the new pressed in? Could a bench vice press the old out (maybe with heat?) like we would with u-joints back in the day, or will I have to drop them off at a shop to use a hydraulic press?

A ball joint press works the best. Shooting grease won't quiet them. they are actually a cross-axis ball joint, and you'll never actually grease the joint from the outside. The best you can do to diagnose them is having someone bounce the car while you feel around for vibration from the squeaking and creaking. Keep in mind that GM doesn't provide replacements - they'll only sell you the whole knuckle for a ridiculous price. The joints are available aftermarket.

Okay. Sounds like I'll be picking a ball joint press up. I'm seeing many polyurethane bushing kits on line, but I also see Dorman bushings on RockAuto. Would these OE style bushings be the best bet?

Thanks,
    Nick

turbol15 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97 eldo,2011 cts-v

I used dorman and poly all around. the squeak may also be the springs in the trunk. I still have same squeak

OE is the best in this case

2kflhr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade, '97 Eldorado ETC, '97 SS Camaro

Yep, poly is for true muscle cars, unless you're willing to live with vibrations they create because they are so much firmer. I put a poly trans mount on my SS Camaro when I had to replace it. I drove it about 50 miles came home and took it out and went back with OEM style.

The cheap poly replacements offered are the wrong type of bushing for this application. Again, these are actual ball joints in this case. Replacing them with rubber or poly bushings will create alignment, handling, and durability issues.

Great info, thanks. Looks like I'll be ordering a set of the Dorman bushings once I take a look at the originals. I'll probably order a set of sway bar end links for the rear as well, while I'm back there.

Thanks,
    Nick

eldoradoin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado/Slate (R.I.P.) 1997 STS (current)

Are my eyes deceiving me, or is that wheel showing a hellacious negative camber?

edit: 1st picture

Nope, it's the combination of holding the camera sideways, and the fact that the car was parked on a relatively steep incline (driver's side high, passenger's side low) The video was filmed from the rear passenger's side of the car, and it makes it look like the camber is way off. I do need a rear alignment, though, but when I went they couldn't break the bolts free, so I had them do the front end only.

Nick

The front wheels actually rely on the rear wheels when it comes to alignment - that said, on a car with adjustable rear, it's impossible to CORRECTLY align the front without doing the rear first... They must be done together in the same session

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.