New (to me) 01 Seville, couple questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New (to me) 01 Seville, couple questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just traded in a falling apart 88 Honda for a 2001 Seville STS from a mom & pop dealer. ...
    AllMine-STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS

New (to me) 01 Seville, couple questions

I just traded in a falling apart 88 Honda for a 2001 Seville STS from a mom & pop dealer. The STS is the car I have been after for 2 vehicles now, and I know I bought sexy over frugal this time, but I had to have her.

She's black on tan, blacked out windows, the Bose 6-disc system, spoiler, chrome wheels, sunroof, I got her at 99k miles for that red flag phrase, "a steal".

Thanks to searching this forum, and all you wonderful enthusiasts, I found out that my fuel gauge isn't haunted, that it's not a horrible fix, and also that there's hope for us yet. I intend to keep her for years!

I was able to keep that Honda going long past what everybody told me. The proverbial movie quote, "nobody can keep that baby running but me", was too true. The mom and pop place scrapped her, though, even though she was running like a rusted-out dredel and nearly new underneath if you could look past the bungee holding up the bumper. I am no slouch when it comes to popping the hood and getting grease up to my elbows, in other words.

Here's my Q's:
    1) Power Windows: Only 1 opens at all, front passenger, and that's from the driver control only. The driver control also happily adjusts the mirrors and locks/unlocks all 4 doors. The window lock also works fine from there. Any ideas?

2) Sunroof: has power, but doesn't actually open or vent. It clicks when I press it "all the way open", as it were, so I know it has power, and the controls for it work. But...what the what....

3) I don't know much about coolant systems, as my Honda went so bad so fast it had to be replaced as fast, by my engineer step-dad. Who HATES GM cars, so never bothered to learn them, so gets lost when I ask about the caddy.

Anyway, at 50 it runs fine, at 55 it starts to heat up, and the gauge moves the bad way. On the highway, I put it past 70 and the same. Otherwise, it's fine. It does read "check coolant level" on the dash, and I regularly check it, sometimes adding some Dex-Cool, because the water evaporates quick in hot Florida in a black car with no shade, no leaks spotted and no driveway spots either. The dealer I got it from did the same while I stood there, though I do not know if it was DC, and the dash repeats. Is it blocked somehow? Would a system flush help? My Detroit car buddy who worked for GM laughed and said that's a scam, don't bother, something else is wrong. Any thoughts?

4) FUN STUFF!: I'd rather just replace the 90's style cop-car headlights, even though her name IS Agent Starling, than do the 3M restore kit and new film. Love to know what might fit. I tried carid and the spider lights I like don't fit an 01. Would the 02 light kit fit? What else might fit her that I am missing on google search for lights?

I think that's all. I knew when I got her that that price was going to reflect work. I just hope it's not too bad, as this is my daily driver that I must have. My kids miss school when my car is broke! So far it starts and runs so quiet and every time, and we seriously love her.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: New (to me) 01 Seville, couple questions

I hope you dont have a head gasket problem. Get one of those block test kits from Autozone and check it yourself. It's very easy to do. $10-$30.
    AllMine-STS and AllMine-STS like this.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

coolant is in sealed cooling system. its not open to atmosphere so where is water going? dont think 84F temps will have any difference compared to 46F temps. motor gets to 200F everyday and sits there. IF you say your adding coolant than that is not good. you got a leak, internally or externally. loose hose, cracked surge tank, maybe radiator, are my guesses. than internally. and we can imagine where an internal leak is. the best clue is your car has new radiator and waterpump. and was on used car lot? do the math.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Your headlamp assemblies are what you have and what you will find. New GM assemblies run close to $600 apiece, used (in recoverable condition) are $200 and up. www.car-part.com or the Cadillac Heaven site. No such thing as aftermarket bling.

If the sunroof is factory and refuses to slide but makes noise, it's either loose glass adjustment Torx screws (4), 2 in each side rail - or a broken slider mechanism = head liner removal time.

"Chrome wheels" - either the smoothly rounded spoke 16's or the flat faceted optional 17's were GM stock.

Coolant does not evaporate, even in the Sahara. It either leaks out or gets "burned" due to failed gasket(s).

Power windows - start at the driver's door switch panel (electrical troubleshooting) and go from there. Motor noises in a door with no window movement indicates failed slide tracks or cable operating systems.

Your overheating symptoms are not good. The only way to truly repair the failed head bolt holes in the cylinder block which caused the head(s) to lift, blowing the gasket(s) is to remove the entire drivetrain, disassemble the heads and timing chains and machine the block to accept either bolt hole thread inserts (www.huhnsolutions.com) or studs - CarrollCustomCadillac or www.northstarperformance.com . Lots of work, special techniques, torque values, plenty of space to work.

Either rent a cylinder block exhaust gas test rig from a large parts store chain or get one here - don't try to "make it better" - follow the directions to the letter - www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis75500.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    I hope you dont have a head gasket problem. Get one of those block test kits from Autozone and check it yourself. It's very easy to do. $10-$30.
    Thanks, Jesda, I can do that.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    coolant is in sealed cooling system. its not open to atmosphere so where is water going? dont think 84F temps will have any difference compared to 46F temps. motor gets to 200F everyday and sits there. IF you say your adding coolant than that is not good. you got a leak, internally or externally. loose hose, cracked surge tank, maybe radiator, are my guesses. than internally. and we can imagine where an internal leak is. the best clue is your car has new radiator and waterpump. and was on used car lot? do the math.
    Where is the water going, is a good question. I add roughly 6-8 ounces per week. No loose hoses, no visible cracked hoses or anything of the like, not even a drip on my driveway under anything, let alone the radiator. My car does not have a new radiator or pump. My Honda did, not my caddy. Thanks for the reply.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Your headlamp assemblies are what you have and what you will find. New GM assemblies run close to $600 apiece, used (in recoverable condition) are $200 and up. www.car-part.com or the Cadillac Heaven site. No such thing as aftermarket bling.
    Nooooooooooo!! Aww come ON! I mean...thanks lol....

If the sunroof is factory and refuses to slide but makes noise, it's either loose glass adjustment Torx screws (4), 2 in each side rail - or a broken slider mechanism = head liner removal time.
    It is factory. Slider mechanism sounds right, but I can check the screws today on my own.

"Chrome wheels" - either the smoothly rounded spoke 16's or the flat faceted optional 17's were GM stock.
    Thought of that after I posted. Two duh's in one post, on my first post. New record. They are 17's.

Coolant does not evaporate, even in the Sahara. It either leaks out or gets "burned" due to failed gasket(s).
    Ouch. Burned. Swearwords. Although gaskets are not the end of the world, finding it is going to be needle in a haystack almost.

Power windows - start at the driver's door switch panel (electrical troubleshooting) and go from there. Motor noises in a door with no window movement indicates failed slide tracks or cable operating systems.
    Troubleshooting, so this has never happened to another as this? Well, on this forum, anyways. Yes, I was hoping for a better pinpoint. Ah well!

Your overheating symptoms are not good. The only way to truly repair the failed head bolt holes in the cylinder block which caused the head(s) to lift, blowing the gasket(s) is to remove the entire drivetrain, disassemble the heads and timing chains and machine the block to accept either bolt hole thread inserts (www.huhnsolutions.com) or studs - CarrollCustomCadillac or www.northstarperformance.com . Lots of work, special techniques, torque values, plenty of space to work.

Either rent a cylinder block exhaust gas test rig from a large parts store chain or get one here - don't try to "make it better" - follow the directions to the letter - www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis75500.html
    So my HG is definitely blown? I wouldn't have touched this myself anyways, and thank you much for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by AllMine-STS View Post
    So my HG is definitely blown? I wouldn't have touched this myself anyways, and thank you much for the information.
    Never assume that a Northstar head gasket has failed until you perform a cylinder block exhaust gas test. No one, reading this thread from a computer screen, can say with any certainty that YOUR head gasket(s) have failed - only your test is concrete proof.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

So my HG is definitely blown?
    I wouldn't have touched this myself anyways,
    and thank you much for the information.

no one can tell if the head gasket is blown
    from reading a couple lines of text -

first - do a cooling system pressure test -
    and hopefully find an external leak -

next - do ma BLOCK TEST -
    the definitive test for failed head gaskets in a Northstar motor -

oh - in the mean-time -
    DO NOT be tempted to dump any STOP-LEAK type products in your car -
    or any "mechanic-in-a-can" head gasket repair products in the car -
    they don't work - and WILL cause additional problems if used -

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Stop-leak products do work (Bars #1111 for example) and don't necessarily cause additional problems, but I don't think I'd use any if you can afford $2,000 - $3,000 for a proper repair. If not and you're going to have to send it to the junkyard otherwise, then it's a viable option.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Stop leak products DO NOT work in the case of a Northstar with pulled head bolt hole threads. The breach in this case, is a forever widening/moving gap. You CAN NOT seal that with a hardening sealer.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Stop leak products DO NOT work in the case of a Northstar with pulled head bolt hole threads. The breach in this case, is a forever widening/moving gap. You CAN NOT seal that with a hardening sealer.
    This must not have been what was causing the coolant to be drawn into the cylinders on my car, then.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by 98cadillac View Post
    This must not have been what was causing the coolant to be drawn into the cylinders on my car, then.

Thank you, again, all who replied. basscat, I'll do as you said, pressure test to block test. Appreciated!

No, I had no intention of pouring anything into a Cadillac, least of all snake-oil or something solid (?? Yoiks!). I'd like it fixed right and I can "afford" it. I also have a pretty good idea that I need to get on this as soon as possible. At this point it's driven about 8 miles per day, and all the speed limits around my area are all 35mph.

I did just drop it off for diagnosis on at least getting the driver side window to operate, and I'll post it here since this forum is a high Google hit, and somebody else might have the same odd issue.

Not only do I want this car for years, but I want it run well and clean, so a "quick cheap fix" is insulting.

By the way, here's some fun math:
    1900 advertised price
    - 300 scrap price for Honda
    -1000 surprise gift from Mommy (don't judge! She hated the Honda!) to help get a better car for her grandkids
    + 150 (?) TT&T
    = All I paid for her out-of-pocket, title in hand

That's great that you can afford to fix it properly; by all means, avoid any stop-leaks in that case.

Doing the math, with a proper head gasket/thread insert repair, you will be in excellent shape considering the total price you will have paid including the repair.

Where are you ???? Many members know of excellent local shops that do killer Northstar head bolt failure repairs - correctly and a LOT less expensive than a GM/Cadillac dealer shop.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Hey now... some GM/Cadillac shops (cough, cough) charge reasonable rates for this job.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.