Eldorado Door Wind Noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Eldorado Door Wind Noise in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 98 Eldorado has a wind noise on the drivers door right at the triangle (where the side window defroster ...
    jammgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS, 1998 Eldorado ETC Crimson Pearl, Bose System

Eldorado Door Wind Noise

My 98 Eldorado has a wind noise on the drivers door right at the triangle (where the side window defroster vents are) directly behind the side view mirror. I just completed sound dampening the doors and rear seat and notice more wind noise now from both doors.

For this post, I'm focused on the drivers door for now since I need someone to drive while I listen to the passenger side and determine where the noise is coming from on that side.

I've found several older posts in the forum for adjusting the window to seal the noise at the top rail and along the A and B pillars which seems to be a common problem for these cars and type of window that don't have a frame.

However, I cant find any posts to correct this problem which is why I started this one.

It seems to be where the triangle meets the seal on the car in front of the window where doing the adjustments wont correct it. When driving, I can hear the noise coming from the area between the A pillar and the triangle.

Has anyone had the same problem and fixed it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Eldorado Door Wind Noise

I don't see why adjusting the window stops won't solve the problem, unless the hinge pin is worn and the door is sagging. With the door open, try lifting it from the trailing edge. Is there any movement?

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Does the window wiggle when up and door open? Sometimes the rollers/channel and felt wears out giving slop in window.

Ranger, I checked and there's no movement in the door or hinges when trying to lift it. The door is tight from this perspective.
    As for adjusting the stops, I don't understand how that would help this problem and would like to clarify again where the noise is coming from.

If you're sitting in the car with the door closed, the noise is coming from the side of the triangle that slopes downward to the front of the door along the side where it meets the A pillar trim.

This is way past the front edge of the window from what I can see. Does the window pass up through the triangle that far up to the front edge of the door? All I can see is the rubber seals on the triangle and door and suspect the noise is coming from that area.

Does that make sense to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I don't see why adjusting the window stops won't solve the problem, unless the hinge pin is worn and the door is sagging. With the door open, try lifting it from the trailing edge. Is there any movement?

----------

I'll check and let you know
    Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    Does the window wiggle when up and door open? Sometimes the rollers/channel and felt wears out giving slop in window.

Hard to say without seeing it, but from what I remember it has to be a window seal, or the door seal. Does this help any?

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...=1&SupplGroup=

txtaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 72,92,02 Eldorado

I think he is talking about part #15. Door mirror gasget or something like that.

I replaced mine because it had a crack. I siliconed the entire door gasket and let it sit (soak in), put new mirror gasket on and made sure it aligned with the door gasket and window when closed.
    My window was never adjusted properly so I put a heat gun to the stripping to get it to form to the correct window position after it was aligned per FSM.

Hope this helps,
    Taz<--No wind noise and sound proofing really does make wind noise more noticable.

92WHTSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldorado ETC

I've been hearing excessive wind noise coming from my passenger door, come to find out the clips on the lower door panel are broken, which is allowing wind noise to seep in.

Ranger, Taz,

That's what I'm referring too... Thank you.
    Taz, can I ask where you got your replacement door mirror gasket? Are they still available on gmparts giant?
    Also, did spraying silicone on the rest of the door gasket help? Mine is in good shape but probably could use this being 15 yrs old.
    I think the window is adjusted ok because I'm not hearing a noise that I notice. If I need too, I'll just follow the steps in the good posts here in the forum.

For the parts you need you might check with Chris (Rippy) over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    He gives members a discount.

Cool Thanks.. I'll see what I need and contact Chris when ready..

----------

If you need to repair the hooks, I made new ones from metal L brackets and attached them to where they broke off.
    Here's a link to the post.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-panels-2.html

Quote Originally Posted by 92WHTSTS View Post
    I've been hearing excessive wind noise coming from my passenger door, come to find out the clips on the lower door panel are broken, which is allowing wind noise to seep in.

txtaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 72,92,02 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by jammgm View Post
    Ranger, Taz,
    Taz, can I ask where you got your replacement door mirror gasket? Are they still available on gmparts giant?
    Also, did spraying silicone on the rest of the door gasket help? Mine is in good shape but probably could use this being 15 yrs old.
    I think the window is adjusted ok because I'm not hearing a noise that I notice. If I need too, I'll just follow the steps in the good posts here in the forum.
    I got mine and some other parts as a condition for the sale when I bought it from the dealer.
    I siliconed everything rubber and used 1/2 a can of CRC Heavy Duty Silicone spray. They were dry but not cracked, thankfully.
    It did help "plump" things up after several applications.
    Taz

That's just it.. none of my seals are ripped but I'm definitely getting the wind noise.
    I'll try the silicone first and look for gaps and then go see Chris (Rippy) if I need to replace anything.

Jim

Tankboy40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 ETC (N* 120k)

Quote Originally Posted by jammgm View Post
    My 98 Eldorado has a wind noise on the drivers door right at the triangle (where the side window defroster vents are) directly behind the side view mirror. I just completed sound dampening the doors and rear seat and notice more wind noise now from both doors.

It seems to be where the triangle meets the seal on the car in front of the window where doing the adjustments wont correct it. When driving, I can hear the noise coming from the area between the A pillar and the triangle.

Has anyone had the same problem and fixed it?
    I had the EXACT same problem with my '93, the "triangle" (mirror gasket) was worn and split at the top, I replaced with an unsplit one from my parts car and it completely eliminated it.

Well, I did some further checking of the seal around the window on both doors using a piece of paper. Found a big space on the side of the window along the B Pillar (i.e near the door handle) where the paper just freely slid under the glass. I pulled the rubber seal back and found you can adjust the track outward. (the screw holes in the track are tapered). Did this on both doors and now the only noise I hear on the drivers side is from the mirror area so the window adjustment is good. Also sprayed the seals with Silcone per Taz's recommendation.

Still hearing some noise on the passenger side but cant tell if it's the mirror seal or the window needing an adjustment.

Tankboy40, thanks for the info.

Ranger, how can I get in touch with Chris (Rippy) to order new mirror gaskets?

Taz, what did you do to align the new gasket. When looking at the mirror and door gaskets, I cant tell where the problem is. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

parts@rippyautomotive.com
    ph: 800-RIPPY-22

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.